Is Derek the right manager? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Is Derek the right manager?

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Frank_Butcher":3hy2b901 said:
See, stats can mean anything. But evidence tells me that the last three games I've seen (Blackburn, Rochdale and Grimsby) there has been a significant improvement.

In playing ability yes. In management? No.
We still went out against Grimsby in the second half to sit back and defend all half & nearly ended up having a replay. The players can be doing a lot better with the right tactics.

Jan 3, 2013
PlymOdi":31igbkc1 said:
Frank_Butcher":31igbkc1 said:
See, stats can mean anything. But evidence tells me that the last three games I've seen (Blackburn, Rochdale and Grimsby) there has been a significant improvement.

We still went out against Grimsby in the second half to sit back and defend all half & nearly ended up having a replay. The players can be doing a lot better with the right tactics.

Totally agree it was Grimsby ffs

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
PlymOdi":ck0403an said:
Frank_Butcher":ck0403an said:

Disagree. We gradually lost momentum in the second-half and sat deep for the last 10-15 minutes. If you read what Bradley said, “I think we got to about 75 minutes and we realised we weren’t going to score, so we shut up shop. It reminded me of last season; we did that a lot last season." His language is quite telling in that he didn't say the manager told them to sit deep - indeed I witnessed Adams urging them to step up in the last 10 minutes.

I'll repeat what I've said elsewhere - if you also look at the Rochdale game we started both halves very positively and gradually sat back. If a team starts positively, then drifts backwards towards half-time, then comes out positively in the second-half, do you suppose that it's the manager instructing them to change tactics mid-half and be negative ?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Currently no.

Not convinced by last season if thou we managed to achieve promotion. This season has been very poor for large spells of matches.

An exhausting season of grinding out, backs to wall results with a few draws/smash and grab results which will see is fluttering all season in and around the bottom 3rd.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
For the rest of the season – a definite Yes from me. If we do go down THEN I think the board need a carefully considered reflection on the season and the one ahead, and assess the other options available to us. If there is a good alternative then, fine, go for it in May or June. But even relegation doesn’t necessarily mean rolling the dice and just getting someone for the sake of it. DA has a promotion and a play-off final from L2 under his belt – he’s as well qualified as anybody we will realistically have on our radar to get us promoted again. I knows it’s a terribly dull thing to say but there really IS a lot to be said for stability and continuity.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Knarf Reprah":2d0pfjdr said:
Emu":2d0pfjdr said:
If you base it on the first 16 matches played, yes it looks bleak, but there are 30 matches to go and turnarounds can happen. Plus we are on a 5 match unbeaten run.
and have won how many of the five?

So you expected us to go from a demoralised outfit losing and getting red cards every week, to winning 5 in a row? Akin to an oil tanker doing a 360 degree handbrake turn.

Two wins and three draws in the last five games with no indiscipline is a marked improvement. Surely you can see we're on an upward curve which IF (fingers crossed) reflected in the next 30-odd games will mean we'll be fine.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
IJN":d152xy9z said:
davie nine":d152xy9z said:
I despair of people like Flagman who started this thread.

In the last month, we have also had these threads :-

A balanced view on Adams.
Was Adams given 3 games?
Who would you have to replace Adams?

Despite shouts of the contrary from the usual suspects, this site promotes such threads.

We might not agree with them (I certainly don't) but Flagman has every right to post such a thread.

Let's debate rather than just say 'we shouldn't have threads like this' etc.
Of course, he is entitled to start such a thread. I just pointed out that it was the 3rd similar thread in the last month.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
davie nine":j7m7xk3v said:
IJN":j7m7xk3v said:
davie nine":j7m7xk3v said:

Was Adams given 3 games?

Despite shouts of the contrary from the usual suspects, this site promotes such threads.

We might not agree with them (I certainly don't) but Flagman has every right to post such a thread.

Of course, he is entitled to start such a thread. I just pointed out that it was the 3rd similar thread in the last month.

You can also start threads about how wonderful you think he’s doing!

Oct 24, 2013
Ade the green":13po20yy said:
davie nine":13po20yy said:
IJN":13po20yy said:
davie nine":13po20yy said:

Was Adams given 3 games?

I’m tempted to start one titled ‘Is Derek the wrong man for the job?’ Just for balance!

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
lyndhurst green":331zdsja said:
Ade the green":331zdsja said:
davie nine":331zdsja said:
IJN":331zdsja said:
davie nine":331zdsja said:

Was Adams given 3 games?

I’m tempted to start one titled ‘Is Derek the wrong man for the job?’ Just for balance!

Go on then.

Oct 24, 2013
Ade the green":cd2x2ezd said:
lyndhurst green":cd2x2ezd said:
Ade the green":cd2x2ezd said:
davie nine":cd2x2ezd said:
IJN":cd2x2ezd said:
davie nine":cd2x2ezd said:

Was Adams given 3 games?

Go on then.

It was a joke!!

Dec 3, 2005
Argyle played 16 won TWO, with ELEVEN points from a possible 48 points and a goal difference of -12

Yes we could get 90 points from the next 30 games, it is possible - very very unlikely :)

One thing we desperately need to improve and yes 5 games unbeaten, but sadly drawing games will not help save us.

If we carry on like this for the next 30 games we will have the grand total of 31 points.

The Manager NEEDS to cease with his stubborn tactics of playing one upfront, he needs to use tactics that suit the players he has, he needs to be more adventurous, starting this Saturday. If he continues being stubborn, the sooner he goes the better.

Sep 17, 2017
Put simply could some current managers managing at this level and lower get more out of this squad of players,

In my opinion YES,

No I’m not going to name them you can make your own minds up,

Look I really really hope he proves me wrong but September has done us,

I can’t see where we will pick up the extra points,

Especially when he is so stubborn and it’s not working also full of excuses,

I really don’t see why he’s put on such a pedestal,

But he’s our manager, I will moan quietly to myself when I need to, but I will support him and the team,

See you all at Bradford on Sat COYG

Aug 5, 2016
djg145":3i0oxq04 said:
Argyle played 16 won TWO, with ELEVEN points from a possible 48 points and a goal difference of -12

Yes we could get 90 points from the next 30 games, it is possible - very very unlikely :)

One thing we desperately need to improve and yes 5 games unbeaten, but sadly drawing games will not help save us.

If we carry on like this for the next 30 games we will have the grand total of 31 points.

The Manager NEEDS to cease with his stubborn tactics of playing one upfront, he needs to use tactics that suit the players he has, he needs to be more adventurous, starting this Saturday. If he continues being stubborn, the sooner he goes the better.

We've won two of those five matches, we haven't drawn all five.

You are essentially upset now that we never beat top of the league, or never beat Blackburn away at Ewood Park. A bit demanding of a side bottom of the league, no?

You can clearly see Derek has steered the oil tanker around.

Three goals conceded in five matches, two clean sheets, two wins, unbeaten in the last month, unbeaten with Diagouraga.

The hard to beat Argyle evident under Derek Adams is back. We can only get better too when Oscar and the forwards return to fitness. Carey summed it up, if Argyle can't find the win its just as important we don't lose. Every time some fans are peed off, we are picking up a valuable point. That's a lot more productive than shipping four goals and getting a red card which was something worth feeling deflated about.

Aug 5, 2016
MarkMatthews":1v8vj45i said:
HC Green":1v8vj45i said:
MarkMatthews":1v8vj45i said:
No! Hope he is gone as soon as possible. Out of work managers who would want the job and we could afford, Stan Ternent and Lennie Lawrence the top of my list until the end of the season at least. Too much talent lost under his complete lack of skills at being able to develop players, who he himself has taken on, there can be no excuses for that and he needs to go before he does anymore damage to fledgling careers.

In the two and a bit years I struggle to work out what talent has been lost, that wasn’t because of the players own decision to leave.

Ben Steer, Jack Calver, Bill Palfrey, Louis Rooney, Callum Hall, Ryan Lane, Cory Harvey..... Does that jog your memory?

Likely to go the same way, Jordan Bentley, Callum Rose, Alex Battle, Dan Rooney, Aaron Taylor and Sam Ryan.

Mark, I suggest you do something I did today. Watch the Argyle Youth FA Cup match day moments v Gillingham. It's about 10 mins long, you can really settle into the game and the dynamics of it.

Then straight away, watch an Argyle matchday moments from a League One match.

You get all the same camera angles, and it might blow you away just how much faster and intense a League One match of football is.

It's difficult to see how those young lads would step onto the pitch alongside Carey, Diagouraga and Songo'o and not be seriously tested in terms of pace, power, physicality and intensity. Mike Cooper said as much after his debut that playing for the senior side in the league was far more difficult than anything he'd ever played before.