FA Youth Cup Third Round (Argyle win on penalties) | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

FA Youth Cup Third Round (Argyle win on penalties)

May 8, 2011
Lundan Cabbie":11nwhprf said:
Mike E":11nwhprf said:
To increase the chances of holding on to our young players we should be trying to improve our status from a category 3 to at least category 2 acadamy. Category 3 clubs only receive ÂŁ10k for each year a player has been with their acadamy as compensation, whereas category 2 receive ÂŁ20k and category 1 recieve ÂŁ40k.

So a player who has been with an acadamy from the age of ten to sixteen would acrue compensation of ÂŁ60k, ÂŁ120k or ÂŁ240k respectively.

That could be a project the Trust could take up rather than just being interfering busy bodies.

That would involve raising funds for the Club and would upset a lot of the AFT supporters on Freechat and ATD who regard volunteering time or donating funds to the football club as a cardinal sin. It would probably cause civil war in the AFT.

There is currently a thread on ATD ridiculing the recent PASOTI donation to the Academy, just a sad lot of individuals who talk less about football and more about people.

Feb 28, 2016
Dan Ellard":pawr5b7o said:
Biggs":pawr5b7o said:
I’d suggest that Bentley, Harvey and Allen aren’t/weren’t as good as Jones, Stephens and Gallagher.
Simple as that.

I brought it up in convasation with JJ yesterday. Seem to suggest he thought there was little between them in ability and the trouble with the latter three is that they were released too early.

I tend to agree which is why I think it ridiculous to suggest Ryan Law would damage his career by going to a club with an U23 team. Rarely do we offer anything after second year as a full pro after which they are released or are so hacked off and jack it in even if they could keep going.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
HC Green":1un3z4yo said:
That would involve raising funds for the Club and would upset a lot of the AFT supporters on Freechat and ATD who regard volunteering time or donating funds to the football club as a cardinal sin. It would probably cause civil war in the AFT.

There is currently a thread on ATD ridiculing the recent PASOTI donation to the Academy, just a sad lot of individuals who talk less about football and more about people.

HC, Ian (Site Manager) and I (Site Owner) have agreed not to bring those people onto this site.

Not a rollicking mate, but can you desist from quoting that vile platform (ATD) or anything on it, onto PASOTI please?

Everyone knows what it represents and let's leave it at that. Thanks.

Ian

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
The categorising of academies is a load of bollox anyway. With all due respect volunteering and fundraising wouldn't realistically help us achieve category 1 status and allow us a greater opportunity to retain our best talent.

The system was changed to a rigged deck to aid the existing rich clubs retain dominance over the long term. If volunteering made category 1 status achievable most clubs throughout the country would have it.

Resources would be better applied to lobbying for a fairer system without the nonsense of categorisation. We just beat one of the most elite category 1 clubs going. Categorisation is based on finance not talent.

Jan 20, 2004
I agree Swim, to qualify for cat 1 the club would have to own its own training ground and build the required facilities such as day release schooling facilities, gymnasium, dome various different top quality training pitches for all age groups etc, and even then it is a closed shop as there are only allowed to be 21 (I might be wrong) cat 1 clubs at any one time. So to become cat 1 you would have to wait for an existing cat 1 to drop out or close. The system stinks as you say, as it allows the big clubs to swallow up all the talent and the rich get richer.
The England (and other international scouts) spend their time between the cat 1 clubs most of the time, ignoring the talent at the lower categories even though there are some quality players to be had. If you notice most of the players in Englands recent successes at different age groups are predominantly from the big five or six top clubs.

On saying all that Argyle could still do well by stepping up from cat 3 to 2 to at least increase the compensation package would be entitled to.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I think Exeter are going for it, so we’d better as well.

Imagine that choice for a youngies family a bigger club but a lesser Academy???

Feb 28, 2016
I know a lot of the academy/development lads. I would never see any short, I would never see them out without a drink and would go out of my way to do them a favour. I support them all, individually and as a team.

That said I wouldn't give a single ha'penny of money or a single millisecond of time to improving the status of the academy. The talent would be the same, for me that isn't the issue. Until management show they will support it, it's a lost cause in my opinion. (That criticism of management, is of Adams, is of Sheridan and also the board for appointing those men to shape the club in their vision.) until they start showing willing it's just time and money down the drain.

ETA the link to Jake Miller's tweet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jakeymiller_ ... 3787695104

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
MarkMatthews":3mdvfn6r said:
I know a lot of the academy/development lads. I would never see any short, I would never see them out without a drink and would go out of my way to do them a favour. I support them all, individually and as a team.

That said I wouldn't give a single ha'penny of money or a single millisecond of time to improving the status of the academy. The talent would be the same, for me that isn't the issue. Until management show they will support it, it's a lost cause in my opinion. (That criticism of management, is of Adams, is of Sheridan and also the board for appointing those men to shape the club in their vision.) until they start showing willing it's just time and money down the drain.

I fully understand most of your sentiments Mark Matthews but having lived through the times of Jimmy Greaves, George Best and Paul Gascoigne (to name but three), I do wonder about you saying "I would never see them without a drink".

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
memory man":67bw0ggf said:
MarkMatthews":67bw0ggf said:

I fully understand most of your sentiments Mark Matthews but having lived through the times of Jimmy Greaves, George Best and Paul Gascoigne (to name but three), I do wonder about you saying "I would never see them without a drink".

I share your sentiment and I could continue with Bobby Moore, Bryan Robson, Mickey Quinn Tony Adams Paul Merson and umpteen others.

Aug 5, 2015
Yes they all need to go to Exeter don’t they Mark! It’s always been the same for every club not just ours. If they’re good enough they’ll make it and if they aren’t they won’t. It’s not enough to be a personable young man unfortunately.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Does anybody have any stats on how many youth players each team will play in the first team on average?

Some clubs, like Exeter are FORCED into playing more as they cannot afford better players. We can, and I'd rather see us compete than play the youngsters. Sorry.

Feb 28, 2016
Kentishgreen":jw73tof2 said:
Yes they all need to go to Exeter don’t they Mark! It’s always been the same for every club not just ours. If they’re good enough they’ll make it and if they aren’t they won’t. It’s not enough to be a personable young man unfortunately.

I do think they would stand a better chance at Exeter, Tisdale is the better of the two for developing young players. They make them good enough. That is also despite us historically “hoovering” up some of their catchment areas best talent; The Purrington brothers, Ben Steer, Alex Fletcher, Mike Cooper.

I accept nowhere near all of them will make it, I think Exeter only have Jordan Moore-Taylor and Christy Pym regularly starting, blooded a second year apprentice in Jack Sparkes. I would happy if we had two players to have come from our academy, this side of administration to be established and be such key figures as those two now are. Tisdale has brought more through as well in that time that they have sold on. Tisdale isn’t afraid to use his youth when injuries and suspensions bite, He was playing a 15 year old at CH last season! Now compare with Adams, if Paul Tisdale was our manager and found himself in the exact same circumstances as Adams did at Blackburn, I bet he would have brought Mike Cooper on immediately instead of preserving with a keeper who couldn’t even kick and then when he done the biz I reckon he would have stuck with him. I also think we would have seen a lot more of Fletcher and or Battle if he had been our manager in the same circumstances this season.

Feb 28, 2016
Thomas Edwards":24bgcwkh said:
Does anybody have any stats on how many youth players each team will play in the first team on average?

Some clubs, like Exeter are FORCED into playing more as they cannot afford better players. We can, and I'd rather see us compete than play the youngsters. Sorry.

Well we aren’t getting either at the moment (really competing with a shed load of decent signings aren’t we? Money really well spent.)

Footballers just don’t grow an trees either, if every club took that attitude then there wouldn’t be any “better” players to buy.