FA Youth Cup Third Round (Argyle win on penalties) | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

FA Youth Cup Third Round (Argyle win on penalties)

May 8, 2011
dunlop":kmz57kly said:
X Isle":kmz57kly said:
dunlop":kmz57kly said:
A Copy of this video should be sent to Gareth Southgate.
Nope. The fewer in the world of football that discover we've got a potentially great crop of kids on our hands the better, or they'll soon be cherry picked and off to waste away in the bowels of an academy somewhere.

Nothing to see here Gareth :shh:

Completely missed the point, that aside if you think premium and championship clubs are not aware of our youngsters you are completely wrong, i know of 3 Plymouth based scouts that are fully aware of the youth team and this is the second time in a couple of months i have seen George Foster at our youth games

Iā€™ve met and talked to a Southampton scout at a couple of matches, one an U18 fixture at Harperā€™s Park and at Exmouth for a SWPL game.

I was told he was looking at Ryan Law but in both games he didnā€™t play due to a very minor injury.

Feb 28, 2016
HC Green":1vgpa024 said:
dunlop":1vgpa024 said:
X Isle":1vgpa024 said:
dunlop":1vgpa024 said:
Nope. The fewer in the world of football that discover we've got a potentially great crop of kids on our hands the better, or they'll soon be cherry picked and off to waste away in the bowels of an academy somewhere.

Completely missed the point, that aside if you think premium and championship clubs are not aware of our youngsters you are completely wrong, i know of 3 Plymouth based scouts that are fully aware of the youth team and this is the second time in a couple of months i have seen George Foster at our youth games

Iā€™ve met and talked to a Southampton scout at a couple of matches, one an U18 fixture at Harperā€™s Park and at Exmouth for a SWPL game.

I was told he was looking at Ryan Law but in both games he didnā€™t play due to a very minor injury.

He didnā€™t play at Exmouth because he was needed for the U18s the next day. The scout was free to go there. He was on Southamptonā€™s radar before he was even an apprentice as well, only natural they will keep an eye on his progress.

I donā€™t believe for a second we are feigning injuries to players so scouts wonā€™t see them. ( and even if we were that the players wouldnā€™t be on to the PFA about it.)If Southampton want Ryan Law they would have to compensate Argyle within the agreed scheme. I would be utterly appalled, if we were to stand in the way of a young mans career progression in this manner. If scouts want to watch Ryan Law or any other player, then they will.

May 8, 2011
MarkMatthews":2v8relkq said:
HC Green":2v8relkq said:
dunlop":2v8relkq said:
X Isle":2v8relkq said:
dunlop":2v8relkq said:

He didnā€™t play at Exmouth because he was needed for the U18s the next day. The scout was free to go there. He was on Southamptonā€™s radar before he was even an apprentice as well, only natural they will keep an eye on his progress.

I donā€™t believe for a second we are feigning injuries to players so scouts wonā€™t see them. ( and even if we were that the players wouldnā€™t be on to the PFA about it.)If Southampton want Ryan Law they would have to compensate Argyle within the agreed scheme. I would be utterly appalled, if we were to stand in the way of a young mans career progression in this manner. If scouts want to watch Ryan Law or any other player, then they will.

At a talk Kevin Hodges gave a few years ago he said that his job was to develop players to play in Argyleā€™s first team and he had a juggling act to perform on the one hand to promote the youngsters but also to sometimes keep them below the radar from prying eyes.

Personally I would say that going to a premiership clubs puppy farm would probably damage his career progression in playing terms but probably not in money terms in the short run.

Feb 28, 2016
HC Green":2pgz4tpc said:
MarkMatthews":2pgz4tpc said:
HC Green":2pgz4tpc said:
dunlop":2pgz4tpc said:
X Isle":2pgz4tpc said:
dunlop":2pgz4tpc said:

At a talk Kevin Hodges gave a few years ago he said that his job was to develop players to play in Argyleā€™s first team and he had a juggling act to perform on the one hand to promote the youngsters but also to sometimes keep them below the radar from prying eyes.

Personally I would say that going to a premiership clubs puppy farm would probably damage his career progression in playing terms but probably not in money terms in the short run.

So do you think; Aaron Bentley, River Allen, and Tyler Harvey (the ones who, presumably you think stayed so as not to damage their long term career progression), have brighter futures in the professional game then those(who have presumably in you view damaged their careers for short term gains in ā€œpremiership puppy farmsā€,)like Lloyd Jones, Jack Stephens and Sam Gallagher?

May 8, 2011
We will never know what would have happened if they had stayed. But if you could be certain about anything in football it is that they would have played more first team games then they have so far and maybe earned the Club even more money then it got if they got transferred later in their career.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Iā€™d suggest that Bentley, Harvey and Allen arenā€™t/werenā€™t as good as Jones, Stephens and Gallagher.

Sep 17, 2017
REALITY CHECK PLEASE

Before I say my piece the PAFC youth squad should be rightly proud of their achievements thus far and long may it continue.

Now, it was a very good defensive counterattacking performance especially in the first half,

I wouldnā€™t have expected Argyle to play any different,

Although Argyle came closest to scoring in open play in the second half it was mostly desperation defending,

I am purely looking at this from a development and progression point of view, I have no other agenda,

There were some good performances, donā€™t know the names, everyone put in a shift, but I would pick out these 2,

Cooper assured, confident generally all round solid performance with mostly saves he himself would expected to deal with relatively easily, but definitely one for the future.

The left back, once again solid, very brave, good distribution tried to support by getting forward, seen him a couple of times, got a chance bit of a Stuart Pearce.

Be honest if City had converted the possession they had into goals they would have walked it, and should have, probably wouldnā€™t have this thread,

The conditions probably were a leveller, Hodgy was probably delighted.

We need to be honest and ask did we see anything that special that will be knocking on the door in a season or two, because thatā€™s what they need to be doing, easy for me to say I know.

Yes probably the 2 City wide players noā€™s 7 & 15, maybe not at City though !!!!

When playing within age groups is always difficult to see who can step up, you have to really stand out.

Did this game really show us anything not sure it did, I donā€™t think we will have a traffic jam of scouts heading this way as some suggest,

Shoot me down if you want Iā€™m just trying to be honest.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
You mean putting in an against the odds disciplined defensive isn't good development for youngsters trying to make the professional game?

Sep 17, 2017
Point taken,

Just trying to be generally objective and temper the hype,

Believe me I hope I am proven wrong,

It wouldnā€™t be the first time !!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I watched Ryan Law closely, particularly in the second half. First though, he showed tremendous bravery in the first half in the 50/50 challenge when he and the City no 11 were injured.
In the second half, his concentration was 100% as he kept a close eye on their tricky, pacey winger whilst making a fantastic tackle to prevent what looked like a certain goal. At least 3 of his colleagues quickly showed their appreciation.

He also showed skill and pace going forward. Very impressive.

Unlike Mike M, I would be very disappointed if he went to any other club although I understand that they will be sniffing around for Ryan, Mike Cooper and Cameron Sangster.

May 8, 2011
davie nine":2wgug2hv said:
I watched Ryan Law closely, particularly in the second half. First though, he showed tremendous bravery in the first half in the 50/50 challenge when he and the City no 11 were injured.
In the second half, his concentration was 100% as he kept a close eye on their tricky, pacey winger whilst making a fantastic tackle to prevent what looked like a certain goal. At least 3 of his colleagues quickly showed their appreciation.

He also showed skill and pace going forward. Very impressive.

Unlike Mike M, I would be very disappointed if he went to any other club although I understand that they will be sniffing around for Ryan, Mike Cooper and Cameron Sangster.

Law is a left back so you would think that the first team position will be up for grabs fairly soon considering the age of Sawyer, similarily with Cooper and the age of the McCormick.

Jan 20, 2004
To increase the chances of holding on to our young players we should be trying to improve our status from a category 3 to at least category 2 acadamy. Category 3 clubs only receive Ā£10k for each year a player has been with their acadamy as compensation, whereas category 2 receive Ā£20k and category 1 recieve Ā£40k.

So a player who has been with an acadamy from the age of ten to sixteen would acrue compensation of Ā£60k, Ā£120k or Ā£240k respectively.

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Mike E":2t8ryess said:
To increase the chances of holding on to our young players we should be trying to improve our status from a category 3 to at least category 2 acadamy. Category 3 clubs only receive Ā£10k for each year a player has been with their acadamy as compensation, whereas category 2 receive Ā£20k and category 1 recieve Ā£40k.

So a player who has been with an acadamy from the age of ten to sixteen would acrue compensation of Ā£60k, Ā£120k or Ā£240k respectively.

That could be a project the Trust could take up rather than just being interfering busy bodies.