Captain's gesture (Smalley) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Captain's gesture (Smalley)

C

Connor Clarke

Also just a reminder that the group of players *supposedly* upset by comments on social media, features a player who used social media to tell fans to "go and die"

IJN":3741ry2w said:
Completely different.

You could sit down with other blokes and debate that, and it would be a debate.

You sit down with the same men and say 'An ACL injury will allow better players on the pitch' and see where that takes you.

It's alright to be 'clever' and 'hard' behind the keyboard, but it's a different thing when in real life.
Would you, if having a real-life conversation with friends, if they ever said something like "I think David Cameron is useless" or "I think Brad Pitt is a crap actor", tell them off because they wouldn't say that to their face?

I don't see where I've been 'clever' or 'hard'. I'm talking on the internet to a friend, not to the Argyle squad or Deane Smalley himself. Everyone's said plenty of things in conversation that they wouldn't want to say to the person concerned's face. It's not being a keyboard warrior, it's not being clever or hard, it's not cowardice, it's human nature.

Let's take a quote of yours from the 'Next Year's General Election' thread on Opinions:

IJN":3741ry2w said:
Brand is a vile sod

Going by your test of what's acceptable to say on the internet, I doubt you'd say that to Russell Brand's face.

I wonder if the xenophobic, homophobic racist you backed for the AFT board would like to make his comments online to the faces of gay people or immigrants.

Sep 6, 2006
There are always planks on the internet. Are they worth taking seriously? By giving them attention you are just feeding them. Ignore them for Christ's sake. And to contradict that - Steve Evans is obviously a moron but his views are just not worth considering. We live in a free country(apparently) and unfortunately that means morons have as much right to speak as anybody else.

Sep 6, 2006
MannameadGreen":2xxq6f40 said:
IJN":2xxq6f40 said:
Completely different.

You sit down with the same men and say 'An ACL injury will allow better players on the pitch' and see where that takes you.

It's alright to be 'clever' and 'hard' behind the keyboard, but it's a different thing when in real life.
Would you, if having a real-life conversation with friends, if they ever said something like "I think David Cameron is useless" I would ! or "I think Brad Pitt is a crap actor", tell them off because they wouldn't say that to their face?

I don't see where I've been 'clever' or 'hard'. I'm talking on the internet to a friend, not to the Argyle squad or Deane Smalley himself. Everyone's said plenty of things in conversation that they wouldn't want to say to the person concerned's face. It's not being a keyboard warrior, it's not being clever or hard, it's not cowardice, it's human nature.

Let's take a quote of yours from the 'Next Year's General Election' thread on Opinions:

IJN":2xxq6f40 said:
Brand is a vile sod

Going by your test of what's acceptable to say on the internet, I doubt you'd say that to Russell Brand's face.

I wonder if the xenophobic, homophobic racist you backed for the AFT board would like to make his comments online to the faces of gay people or immigrants.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
MannameadGreen":17rpopwf said:
IJN":17rpopwf said:
Completely different.

Would you, if having a real-life conversation with friends, if they ever said something like "I think David Cameron is useless" or "I think Brad Pitt is a crap actor", tell them off because they wouldn't say that to their face?

IJN":17rpopwf said:
Brand is a vile sod

For your information, I was the one that suggested to Frank he stand down. Only last week Frank and I had a hard debate online regarding some of his recent comments.

However I can assure you, having now meeting Frank he would have no compunction of saying whatever he thinks face to face.

You on the other hand, seem to be an 'ant'.

Again, well done John Harbin, he certainly speaks for me, and for many, many others.

IJN":2cfa7nwv said:
MannameadGreen":2cfa7nwv said:
Completely different.

Brand is a vile sod

For your information, I was the one that suggested to Frank he stand down. Only last week Frank and I had a hard debate online regarding some of his recent comments.

However I can assure you, having now meeting Frank he would have no compunction of saying whatever he thinks face to face.

You on the other hand, seem to be an 'ant'.

Again, well done John Harbin, he certainly speaks for me, and for many, many others.
Ant?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I did apologise for that and yes you are right, that's 100% required by us fans.

The abuse of injured players is beyond the pale though.

I would also point out that using what someone who I nominated for the AFT, has said on Facebook against me, is a bit snidey to say the least.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Balham_Green":w09loadl said:
There are always planks on the internet. Are they worth taking seriously? By giving them attention you are just feeding them. Ignore them for Christ's sake. And to contradict that - Steve Evans is obviously a moron but his views are just not worth considering. We live in a free country(apparently) and unfortunately that means morons have as much right to speak as anybody else.

They have BG.

However those same morons have to understand it can bite them in the bum.

Jun 8, 2014
Exactly - it's the non-football comments regarding good news him having an injury, which is obviously an unpleasant thing to do.

Both me and MG are a little annoyed we've been brought in to be compared with the likes of Steve, who's comments weren't nice at all.

Hitting out at those comments is fine, but football comes with criticism and scrutiny, simply the game it is, so it's not fair to hit out at people's opinions, but to hit out to nasty comments is fair.

I paid £9 for a ticket yesterday and must have dished out £100 on two away games this season, in which Smalley came on in both. Frankly, I'll have an opinion. I've seen him plenty of times and have come to the conclusion that his absence is not of the same level as someone like Nelson, McCormick or Reid's.

As Balham says, if we ignore the trolls then hopefully they'll go away.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Take it from me, they won't.

Just block them, I do, that works.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
Critisism of Paven and Manamead Green for having an opinion on the ability of one of our players is ridiculous. Some people love stirring the pot.

Steve Evans needs to apologise tho, sure tho comment wasnt meant to be as nasty as it came out as, but has obviously upset some of the players..

Sep 6, 2006
Womble":3nh8glrd said:
Critisism of Paven and Manamead Green for having an opinion on the ability of one of our players is ridiculous. Some people love stirring the pot.

Steve Evans needs to apologise tho, sure tho comment wasnt meant to be as nasty as it came out as, but has obviously upset some of the players..

Really. The idiotic comments of just one moron? Must be more to it than that.