Captain's gesture (Smalley) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Captain's gesture (Smalley)

Mar 14, 2009
For me this isn't rocket science...

If you want to say you don't rate Smalley as a player after you watched him then that's fair game. Personally, I haven't seen him start enough games to even have a view because most of his appearances he has come on its for 20 minutes or less. I cant see how judgements calls can be made.

However, its a bit dumb to say something nasty about a player, one of your own teams players, after he has had a serious injury. Yet, lets not go too overboard. Every club has idiots for fans and to be honest the management of PAFC and its players should have been in and around football long enough to know this will never change.

I think its fair game to talk about a player, managers & coaches abilities and what you feel are their strengths and weaknesses but beyond that when its gets personal, or just plain nasty (eg about his injury) then I do think sometimes for all the good the internet does for freedom of speech that people in positions of authority will never listen with much great enthusiasm because of the minority of idiots that voice stupid comments. It only serves to damage the rest of us who like to us this vehicle to express thought provoking opinions.

So then you get comments like Harbins which he feels he needs to say to defend the player when really common sense should prevail to the extent that the club should know that the fans who love this club would never think like that. To me it only serves the purpose of letting the internet trolls know that actually they can get heard and cause feelings of unrest.

Jul 2, 2014
1. Agree fully with criticism of fans of make a hobby out of knocking players/mangers/owners/others, jsometimes just to get a arise out of others; sometimes being anonymous allows them to be anonymous a******s.

2. I think Harbin's remarks were directed at the players more than anyone else - a message that says "We are brothers in the trenches together. Support each other, work for each other, and always have each others' backs". I endorse that message 100%.

3. I think Harbin has been one of John Sheridan's most important signings.

Jul 29, 2010
I'd sooner have a united squad and a fractured fanbase than the other way round.

Nice gesture, I really like unity of heart and purpose like that. I trust they know that every village has it's idiots and we've got more than our fair share.

Feb 2, 2007
Where's Steve Evans gone? It is possible that people who post these messages aren't real Argyle fans. The Internet is more often fantasy than reality for some, not sure Harbin should take it as fact or reality.

lewjam14":gr12v3xy said:
Rob_GT4 said "He's been a waste of space/money since he got here and this only exacerbates the situation"
everyone's friend atm Steve Evans said "i agree rob.how did this injury happen.he hardly ever plays for crying out loud"
are you on about this comment?

ps get better soon smalley
I do agree, from a football perspective, with Rob. He has, in my opinion, been a complete waste of money while here. You can criticise his football ability or lack thereof without wishing injury on him.

Evans' comment was a bit misguided more than malicious for me.

Does anyone REALLY think that holding up Smalley's shirt was an act of vengeance against some people on the internet? Or just a nice gesture for a mate?

T

The Grumpy Loyal

MannameadGreen":20qi5jt1 said:
lewjam14":20qi5jt1 said:
Rob_GT4 said "He's been a waste of space/money since he got here and this only exacerbates the situation"
everyone's friend atm Steve Evans said "i agree rob.how did this injury happen.he hardly ever plays for crying out loud"

I do agree, from a football perspective, with Rob. He has, in my opinion, been a complete waste of money while here. You can criticise his football ability or lack thereof without wishing injury on him.

Does anyone REALLY think that holding up Smalley's shirt was an act of vengeance against some people on the internet? Or just a nice gesture for a mate?

No I don't think they do. I think one or two may have tried to use it as a stick to beat others with, mind.

It's clear that the players are simply showing support for an injured mate, which is great.

Harbin's comment on the other hand obviously relates directly to some social media comments. Pasoti doesn't have the monopoly on internet commenting.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Take it from me, there's a few players that would love to discuss Steve Evans' comments with Steve Evans.

Whilst Pasoti is not the only site, it's certainly the most read and without doubt the only one read by some players.

I'd also point out the comments were quoted by link on Twitter which would have undoubtedly reached the players attention.

C

Cult Of Personality

My view on Smalley whilst i been disappointed with him since his arrival i would never wish or cheer an injury on anyone. I myself is currently missing football due to a foot injury and feeling in the dumps about it. I can only imagine what Smalley is feeling the fact he does this as a career and that it could be over is just awful

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
MannameadGreen":39r0gks8 said:
lewjam14":39r0gks8 said:

It was probably a bit of both especially when a lot of the comments were also made on Twitter where a lot of the players have access to the views of fans. Just looking back at the replies to the replies to the club's Tweet that broke the news, there were supposed Argyle fans actually celebrating and others including yourself and a Trust board member although not going as far as celebrating Deane's injury but suggesting that this was great news for our promotion bid, crass in the extreme if you ask me.

If Deane was my mate, whose career was under serious threat and I found out that the one set of fans that should have his back were actually celebrating this news I would want to tell them where to stick it as well.

I wouldn't go as far as suggesting everyone needed to wish the player well but there's a time and a place for slating his ability and when he's got the biggie of all injuries, the career ending one that every player fears it is certainly not that time...

Jan 3, 2013
IJN":7y4ssruu said:
:clap:

Here's a couple of the snippets from John Harbin's piece.

I'd say he's got it bang on and well done to him for saying it.

their are? Proof read alert! Seriously if I were Argo I'd ban Mr Evans, what an awful comment to make about ANYONE let alone an Argo player, people like him make me despair, and that takes a lot! Here's to a fully fit Smalley playing well and ramming those comments right down Evan's throat next year . Get well very soon son!

Jul 29, 2010
Quite Ollie :clap:

But it also affords us a glimpse through a window into the unity and confidence of our squad that, in applauding us and taking our applause after a win that they take the time to a) think of a guy missing from their number and b) don't give a stuff what a couple of nuggets within our number might think of him.

It probably wasn't a two fingered 'up yours Steve Evans' (although fair play to 'em if it was) but nevertheless the spirit displayed in that gesture speaks volumes for them, and John Harbin I'm sure, and that can only be a good thing :scarf:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I would add if Steve Evans is man enough, he can PM me and I can pass on his phone number to the person who pulled me yesterday.

Perhaps some good can come from this.

Perhaps he, Paven and Mannamead Green can sit down across s table with people they seemed to have seriously vexed.

Always a good thing in my book.

Jul 29, 2010
IJN":3rm9a8s1 said:
I would add if Steve Evans is man enough, he can PM me and I can pass on his phone number to the person who pulled me yesterday.

Perhaps some good can come from this.

Perhaps he, Paven and Mannamead Green can sit down across s table with people they seemed to have seriously vexed.

Always a good thing in my book.

Nice idea but waaay TMI :shock:

I doubt he's man enough though :thumbdown:

Dec 20, 2011
Ottawa Green":nkox6r6b said:
B5VErg6CcAAAJXp.jpg

Photo courtesy of Marvin Morgan on Twitter. Admin.

Fantastic photo team spirit :nworthy:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Ollieargyle9":1a7qtgz6 said:
MannameadGreen":1a7qtgz6 said:
lewjam14":1a7qtgz6 said:

It was probably a bit of both especially when a lot of the comments were also made on Twitter where a lot of the players have access to the views of fans. Just looking back at the replies to the replies to the club's Tweet that broke the news, there were supposed Argyle fans actually celebrating and others including yourself and a Trust board member although not going as far as celebrating Deane's injury but suggesting that this was great news for our promotion bid, crass in the extreme if you ask me.

If Deane was my mate, whose career was under serious threat and I found out that the one set of fans that should have his back were actually celebrating this news I would want to tell them where to stick it as well.

I wouldn't go as far as suggesting everyone needed to wish the player well but there's a time and a place for slating his ability and when he's got the biggie of all injuries, the career ending one that every player fears it is certainly not that time...

Well said. The comments have obviously affected the players. It would be nice if Paven, MannameadGreen and Steve Evans stepped forward and apologised and move on.