Brief Synopsis | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Oct 20, 2015
Exiled
The first 70minutes were dreadful. We had those little half chances in the first half from Ainsworth and Sarcevic (why didn't he shoot?), they had a free header in the first half. So I'd say until then it was even.

Afterwards it was all Bury and without Luke, and the block by Miller, we would have lost.

Ainsworth was bright on the ball, trying to take people on, but it didn't work and he continually gave the ball away. Grant was anonymous, neither have impressed me and Lameiras looked too lightweight and cautious - all of which doesn't bode well.

Why did Adams bring Fletcher on instead of Blissett? From then onwards every lumped ball forward (our only method of attack in those last 20mins) was lost and it came straight back to us.

To be positive, Miller and Sawyer were excellent for me, as was Sarcevic.

Whoever finishes below Bury and Argyle will be relegated, that felt like a League Two fixture if I'm brutally honest.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Now that I can watch the games I think I can now make a comment, basically we were crap and boring, if it wasn't for Luke we would have lost 2 or 3-0, and those 2 great saves he made at the end was after he was injured, and he was still limping at the end of the game.
Argyle basically had one plan and that was to lump it up to the forwards the problem is Crifti cant or wont jump for a ball, Fletcher is to short for high balls and Grant is not there, at least when I have seen Blissett he does attempt and occasionally win a header the problem is it never goes to a Argyle player. Also I notice that Argyle players don't seem to know how to trap a ball, receive a ball it always bounces away.
Every team we have played have had people who can control the ball, receive a ball run with a ball. It maybe because the Argyle's midfield and defence give them space to do this.
If Argyle insist on playing one up front they need to have a forward who can head the ball, control the ball and put it into the back of the net.
Argyle need a tough mid fielder who can score (to bad they let Josh Wright slip) and they need a goal scoring centre forward.

If they don't get that it is going to be a long season.

Ottawa Green":188khuyf said:
Argyle need a tough mid fielder who can score (to bad they let Josh Wright slip) and they need a goal scoring centre forward.

If they don't get that it is going to be a long season.

Argyle didn't let Josh Wright slip; he made it clear he didn't want to play for us. It was never really on the table to begin with.

Aug 13, 2011
Well I'm already resigned to this season being more about survival rather than striving for the Championship.

Aug 5, 2016
Balham_Green":2fz0yg8m said:
Neilz5419":2fz0yg8m said:
Our summer signings that featured today did not come across well, lamerias, ainsworth and grant do not look good at this level and shouldn't be starters IMO. Likewise fletcher, very poor in the half hour he had, makes you realise how much ciftci does in getting us forward and making the ball stick shouldn't be near the first team.

A big ask expecting a young lad like Fletcher to play on his own up front. I do wonder about DA sometimes.

I do hate it when the opposition mark, tackle and compete against our young lads as if they are all grown blokes playing competitive professional football.

Why can't they leave Fletcher alone, stand off him a bit and let him express himself?

Aug 13, 2011
The Donny game is indeed now massive as Wigan (5th) away and Brizzle R who have graduated at this level and are always tough at theirs will be extraordinarily difficult fixtures to prize results from. If we lost all 3 we'd be looking at the grim prospect of long term containment within the relegation zone becoming a reality. Let's hope we bring our shooting boots to Home Park v Donny. They are also struggling with the step up.

Apr 15, 2008
London
gariboldi":2baquvdg said:
Well I'm already resigned to this season being more about survival rather than striving for the Championship.

It's going to be quite a while before we're competing for the Championship. It's only mid-Sept, but I think it's pretty plain now.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Charles.plym":289p9xrd said:
Didnt lose so the ref must have been alright ;)

I forgot to say the ref was very good, one of the best this season.

Bury are a good old fashioned football club with a decent ground at this level, the fans were friendly and keen to talk (apart from a few young fans who shouted abuse at McCormick) and fair play to them for supporting Bury when there are bigger and more attractive clubs close by.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Agree with that Ian, proper club (old school) and decent fans.

Love Gigg Lane.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
A point away is a positive, but to get so few chances against a poor team does not bode well.

It seems that we have a few "Goodwillie's" in our side - legal issues aside.. They arrive with a good pedigree, but somehow can't break their duck in the 1st team.
Hopefully it's a confidence thing, and when it breaks more goals will come quickly - rather than the player then exiting stage right.

Incidentally, Goodwillie is now scoring - for Clyde - languishing near the bottom of Scottish Div 2.

May 16, 2016
gariboldi":nyo2czgn said:

I've viewed this Season in that light since the end of the Promotion Parade.

Oct 24, 2013
gariboldi":2sgk1gcn said:

As should have always been the case in my opinion. People who even considered the possibility of breezing through this league were naive as to the challenges of L1. If we are still a L1 club at the final whistle on the last day of the season, then it will have been a good season.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
:iagree:
lyndhurst green":23eqrwjn said:
gariboldi":23eqrwjn said:

As should have always been the case in my opinion. People who even considered the possibility of breezing through this league were naive as to the challenges of L1. If we are still a L1 club at the final whistle on the last day of the season, then it will have been a good season.

Agree with that, we are in a season long fight, lets get fighting, if we're still standing last day of the season, job done and move on.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
More reflections.

First half was characterised by two out of form sides looking for a goal. Bury missed a free header inside our box by some distance. Everything else was pretty routine for our defence to handle. We had some moments in and around their box. Ness fired over er, Sarcevic chose to pass when he could have shot and Ainsworth using his pace to pick up a great Fox pass but failed to beat the only defender.

After the interval, Argyle didn't show as an attacking force. Bury didn't really threaten until the last 15 minutes. They hit the post twice. The first should have been scored. The second a result of Luke's fingertip save. Hopefully his knee injury isn't serious.

Both teams failed to play any quality clinical passes. The teams generally negated one another and ran out of ideas to break the deadlock.

Our game plan seemed to be to try and get in behind their full backs Neither Grant or Ainsworth really looked threatening.,Luke seemed to kick towards Grant's wing a lot but we didn't hold up the ball well. Bury were keen to play from their keeper with short passes to the defence leaving Ciftci to do a lot of chasing. The rest of his afternoon was made up of trying to compete for balls in the air - maybe not his strength?

Thought Ness did okay and the defence was generally in control. Songo'o reacted quickly to pull Bradley away from a bit of handbags second half.The subs Lamerias looked lightweight and hardly got on the ball. Had a dreadful effort at goal.Fletcher like Lamerias failed to get into the game. I would have been tempted to remove one of the two wide players instead of Fox. The Bury pressure only came after Fox and Ciftci left the game.

We need to get in front in a game somehow and rebuild some confidence. Was never a supporter of the "there isn't much difference between League 1 and 2" line that were posted on here in the summer but at this stage a couple of good results can see a team jump up the table. To do that we need to rectify our home form quickly.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Too timid, too lacking in pace and quality and too bland.

The fact that people are relatively pleased afte that performance highlights just how awful we are playing.

4-2-3-1 needs to go and we need to look at playing the call centrally and allowing Ness and/or Fox higher up and allow Carey and the front men get in the faces of the opposition allowing us to stay further up the pitch.