Brief Synopsis!!! (Shrewsbury) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Shrewsbury)

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":d6ylswsa said:
Cobi Budge":d6ylswsa said:
I don't think the defensive substitution was the problem, didn't have an issue with getting another body in at the back and tightening things up, the problem was simply how deep we dropped, and we kept dropping, until Shrewsbury had enough space just outside the box to get their shots away.

If you tighten things up at the back, get another body in at the back, take your solitary mobile forward off, then you are going to drop deep aren't you?

You're bound to drop a little when defending but you can still press and move up the pitch with five at the back because as Dan says above it can easily turn into 3 at the back with the RB & LB pressing up. When the substitution was made we contained them well and still looked like breaking, but as the minutes wore on we kept dropping deeper and deeper until we not only had a flat back 5, but also 3 CDM's, this meant that Shrewsbury were getting closer and closer to being within shooting range, and that's how their goal came about.

The substitution/formation change wasn't the problem, the problem was the defensive mindset & the progressive dropping.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Happy with a draw, it was a massive improvement on previous matches. I was fearing the worst today and so a draw is a good result.

We still look a poor side of course but plenty of effort today, much better from Carey today it was the team from last season at times today. Two good long distance goals.

Good to see Fletcher start and that made the difference today really, I think because we had a more positive attitude in the game.

So much better. There is hope now we can maybe stay up if we keep playing like that. :scarf: :scarf:

Letheren 10
Sawyer 10
Songo 8
Edwards 8
ATD 3
Carey 9
Fox 8
Sarcevic 0
Grant 6
Diogouraga 0
Fletcher 4

Bradley 8
Jervis 8
Blissett 0

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
r4h4al":1rc4ebl2 said:
Happy with a draw, it was a massive improvement on previous matches. I was fearing the worst today and so a draw is a good result.

We still look a poor side of course but plenty of effort today, much better from Carey today it was the team from last season at times today. Two good long distance goals.

Good to see Fletcher start and that made the difference today really, I think because we had a more positive attitude in the game.

So much better. There is hope now we can maybe stay up if we keep playing like that. :scarf: :scarf:

Happy?

Oh bend over

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
a very enjoyable match which ended as a draw due to the utterly bizarre decision to take off fletcher.we were easily forced back by an organised but ordinary shrewsbury side.i advocated dropping graham,how wrong i was as he was his old self with a brilliant free kick and stunning goal against a 'keeper who was very exploitable.songo'o a rock at the back with his best co-defender of edwards.fletcher,fox and sawyer all played well as did jake.a frustrating result against a side we would have beaten but for the negative first substitution.my ratings;

Kyle Letheren - 8
Gary Sawyer - 7
Ryan Edwards - 7
Yann Songo'o - 9
Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - 5
Tounami Diagouraga - 7
David Fox - 8
Antoni Sarcevic - 3
Graham Carey - 8
Joel Grant - 3
Alex Fletcher - 8

Michael Cooper - unused
Sonny Bradley -
Jakub Sokolik - unused
Gregg Wylde - unused
Ruben Lameiras - unused
Jake Jervis -
Nathan Bissett -

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
I'm nether a pro or anti Adams but this substitution was the right thing to do.

We were doing fine so yeah I agree it was asking for trouble, because then we were far too deep after the sub. So yeah I think the sub probably cost us in the end, not Bradley's fault though, we would have won that game otherwise.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Cobi Budge":10ncutux said:
The substitution/formation change wasn't the problem, the problem was the defensive mindset & the progressive dropping.

But the defensive mindset and progressive dropping was a direct result of the substitution/formation change. That's the whole point. Adams basically signaled to the opposition and to his own players that Argyle's job from that point onwards was to sit back and hold on.

Jul 12, 2016
Why do we persist in bringing all our players back when the opposition have a corner.Talk about inviting pressure!

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Alan Turing":3jc6b806 said:
The Fletcher / Bradley substitution was a good move but far too early.

Yeah basically that's it. Should have been done with a couple of minutes to go not 20 minutes, really baffling and costly substitution.

S

swendies

As soon as Adams made that dreadful substitution, that was it for me. Please Adams , admit you can't take us any further and leave. We are destined for relegation if he stays.

Dec 3, 2005
Some posituves today: ONE point gained - NO sendings off - New guy looked good, even if he says he is not match fit - Carey played better.

Negative: THE MANAGER and his decision to replace Fletcher with Bradley!! How the hell did he think that was a good idea??
Anyone with common sense would have replaced Fletcher with Blissett.
Why the hell does he usually END up playing TWO upfront - why not START like that - we looked more dangerous with two upfront, straight away.

Feb 2, 2007
oldage":25a1ika1 said:
Why do we persist in bringing all our players back when the opposition have a corner.Talk about inviting pressure!

Luggy used to do it in our successful double promo team and got criticised even then. If we are losing I hate it when we do it but I'd imagine it's based in algorithms

Dec 3, 2005
Dan Ellard":ci6gn7qi said:
Cobi Budge":ci6gn7qi said:
I don't think the defensive substitution was the problem, didn't have an issue with getting another body in at the back and tightening things up, the problem was simply how deep we dropped, and we kept dropping, until Shrewsbury had enough space just outside the box to get their shots away.

Spot on. It's all about application. 5-4-1 can effectively become 3-4-3 if the wide players push on more. The team as a whole (centre-midfield in particular) dropped off too much and it cost us the match.

We were WINNING when the substitution was made - changing the system - we conceded, how can you say that was a good decision?? Baffling

Aug 6, 2016
50N 004W
First game of the season for me, few observations:

Sarcevic, for me, is a passenger. Tried his best, however slow to react to second balls, gave the ball away when he had it, and then presumed to throw his hands in the air when a team mate made a mistake. Chasing shadows when it came to Shrewsbury having possession.

The new signing (Dougara) certainly impressed me, although tired at the end.

Our left back, ATS? Poor signing, non improvement on Sawyer.

Grant a passenger too, Jervis MK II. How he got MOTM i'll never know.

Carey, Dougara, Songo & Edwards all played well.

People are quick to blame Adams, for me its clear he can motivate his team, everyone tried their best, however the new signings simply haven't improved us, and ultimately unless we strengthen more in January, then unfortunately our summer recruitment will be the reason for our relegation.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
djg145":2ieg7rzn said:
Dan Ellard":2ieg7rzn said:
Cobi Budge":2ieg7rzn said:

Spot on. It's all about application. 5-4-1 can effectively become 3-4-3 if the wide players push on more. The team as a whole (centre-midfield in particular) dropped off too much and it cost us the match.

We were WINNING when the substitution was made - changing the system - we conceded, how can you say that was a good decision?? Baffling

Whether it was the right or wrong decision, how can you say it was baffling?

A manager attempting to protect the lead happens in almost every game, surely it's not surprising.

I happen to think it was way too early, but it's strange to question the logic.

Maybe we'd have conceded twice if we keep attacking..