Brief Synopsis!!! (Shrewsbury) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Shrewsbury)

Apr 16, 2008
Templecombe, Somerset
Alan Turing":33t8rx8e said:
The Fletcher / Bradley substitution was a good move but far too early.

Absolutely fine if 5 minutes to go, instead with nearly 25 left in the clock we revert to defending as if we were at Anfield, stood too far back and gave the lead away.

That said far more positives than negatives today, more controlled in midfield, Songo'o has made a real difference to our defending. More talking between players.

Our season moves on from here

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Pezbuck":2nq4tw4a said:
Ade the green":2nq4tw4a said:
Pezbuck":2nq4tw4a said:
Martin Thomas":2nq4tw4a said:
I wasn't there but DA is saying he put Bradley on to counter Shrews going 2 up front after playing 4-5-1. Is he lying?

This is correct. They put on two subs to go for it. We nearly won it in last five with a Jervis miss from 6 yards. Upwards. A good result in circumstances against undefeated league leaders - who now aren’t.

So we won then?

You know what undefeated means yeah?

Aren’t league leaders.

Yeah sorry. Don’t look at the top of the table as it’s too depressing

Feb 24, 2008
If Adams thinks 2 up front is so difficult to defend against then why does he refuse for his own team to play it?

Feb 2, 2007
Adams has lost confidence in himself, players and system

Ok the defensive and pragmatic tactics got us into the lead today and Derek set us up like that. It wasn't pretty but it was finally effective.

But why on why oh why oh why take off our centre forward for a central defender, disrupting the shape at back and bringing us back a further ten yards. Jake is a decent midfielder but not a centre forward who occupies defenders.

The equaliser was so inevitable three or four times before it I was shouting get up the pitch, get Bliss on!!

Then we did after they bleddy equalise and we start looking a threat.

That was two points dropped.

At least the players were professional enough to all stay on the pitch this time.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
First half wasn't pretty with us being forced into long balls up to Fletcher who had no chance. But to be fair Shrewsbury barely had a chance of their own. Songo'o should have scored and Sarcevic could have as well.

Minutes 45-60 were dominated by us, Carey scored a worldy and we looked set for a deserved win.

The sub from Adams completely cost us the game. Full credit to him for how we more than matched the undefeated league leaders for an hour, but it was a dreadful decision to go 5-4-1 and leave Jervis on his own up front. The ball did not stick and we invited so much pressure onto us. We weren't closing down their wide men and full backs, which was ok as they weren't looking to put crosses into the box (until John-Lewis came on anyway), but in central areas we stood off them way way too much. Even in League 2 we saw that if you give players room to turn, drive and shoot from 20-25 yards out, they'll punish you - in League 1 it's happening even more often. Even if we're sitting on a one goal lead, the midfield MUST get out and press the ball more. But Adams doesn't seem to want to do that.

Another thing is that a clear tactic in the first half (especially when Letheren had the ball) was to clear it out to Carey, as their left-back was miniscule and even Carey had a decent height advantage on him. It didn't really work much, but if that was a weak area identified by Adams, then why on earth did we not play Jervis there who is basically made for a wide target man role?! And within 15 minutes of coming on, Jervis had gone centrally and won nothing against their two giants at centre-half?? It just makes no sense.

Last 15 was better again with us actively looking to hoof it more, Blissett winning the flicks and Jervis trying to play off that. Sadly, Jervis had one good sight of goal plus one half-chance - he fluffed both.

I'm not Adams out at this moment in time, but I'd be astounded if Adams is really getting everything out of this group of players. He managed it with last year's group, but why can't he with this? He made the occasional weird decision last season like playing Goodwillie up front on his own, but mostly he seemed to tactically outwit opposition managers. This season he's making some tactical blunders and it's costing us points.

Letheren 8 - Don't think he could have saved their goal, made some good saves and his command was very impressive.

Sawyer 7 - Skinned 3 times in the first 10 minutes but really excelled after that. Played quite narrow at times which wasn't too bad as like I said, Shrews weren't really interested in crossing the ball, they wanted to work it through the middle.
Songo'o 9 MOTM - if he'd buried that free header and hadn't shanked that easy clearance out of play just before half time, it probably would have been a 10.
Edwards 8 - I'm impressed with him. Looks good enough for this level.
ATS 6 - Passing woeful in the first 30 but settled down after that and defensively he did reasonably well. I'm not getting out the bunting just yet but he looked better than I feared having watched the Bristol City game.

Fox 7 - He's similar to Ness but better - the perfect cover for a defence in a 3-man midfield (if the other two would actually push out and press more), and used the ball well.
Diagouraga 7 - Encouraging on the whole. Slow start but really started to boss the game later on.
Sarcevic 7 - Missed a good chance but again was good with the ball and put a few crunching tackles in.

Carey 7 - First 20 minutes he was properly bad. Gave the ball away a lot and didn't help Sawyer enough. But his set piece delivery was excellent this week and in the 2nd half he started to play like the Carey we're used to. And, just... what a goal.
Fletcher 6 - Ran and ran and ran. Touch let him down at times and his link up play was hot and cold. Can't be blamed for not winning many headers at all against the massive centre-halves he was up against.
Grant 6 - Meh. Seen him have better games. Tried to do the right things but not a lot of what he tried actually came off.

Subs:
Jervis 5 - Should have scored.
Bradley 7 - Contributed to our last line of defence.
Blissett 7 - Won his fair share up top.

Shrewsbury really weren't all that. Full credit to their manager as their team looks weak on paper for this level, and that's how the played today. We should have won that match. Must, must must start winning soon otherwise we have to start handing a P45 or two out. As promising as some of our spells in games have been, we are on 6 points from 13 games. We have not won in 10, getting just two points in that time and as many red cards as goals. Jervis and Carey are our joint top scorers with 2. This situation cannot continue.

Feb 2, 2007
Clyst Green":ni9o51bi said:
If Adams thinks 2 up front is so difficult to defend against then why does he refuse for his own team to play it?

Go wash your mouth out for spewing such common sense.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":2mzqmd0h said:
I don't think the defensive substitution was the problem, didn't have an issue with getting another body in at the back and tightening things up, the problem was simply how deep we dropped, and we kept dropping, until Shrewsbury had enough space just outside the box to get their shots away.

Spot on. It's all about application. 5-4-1 can effectively become 3-4-3 if the wide players push on more. The team as a whole (centre-midfield in particular) dropped off too much and it cost us the match.

Mar 18, 2006
Don’t disagree with the substitution of Fletcher, he was knackered after running tirelessly upfront on his own.
However, inviting them on to us by playing 5 at the back with 20 mins plus remaining was nothing short of negative and ridiculous.
Would have taken a point at the start , but we could have won that today we’re it not for our negative tactics .

Oct 31, 2015
Green Gary":3hxvwzw2 said:
Weil done Derek. We are one Nil up, confidence starting to return, not being overly troubled by Shrewsbury, a good shape and formation. So what do you do next? With almost 25 minutes to go you bring on an extra defender and change the whole shape. Invite the league leaders onto to us for all that time. We all knew what would happen next.
If you wanted to bring a tiring Fletcher off why not bring Blissett on to occupy their centre halves.
What a master tactician you are. Thanks for the two dropped points which we really can’t afford

Absolutely spot on. They hadnt really troubled us and tbh looked ordinary then DA makes a mad defensive sub, cocks up the shape of the team and the majority of yhe shots on target from the stats came after this.

I am so angry with Adams. He is the issue not the players.

Letheren is as good as Luke. He looks for a player and you can hear him caling the shots. Good game today.
Sawyer had a mare for the firstb30 minutes and is a Duck out of water on that side.
Edwards did ok and helped to keep the Shrews at bay
Songo. Awsome. What has he eaten or taken in the summer its a different player.
Taylor sinclair was ok tbh. Got stronger as the game went on
Sarc was pkaying very well until he got injured. He should have scored
New lad. Thats what we have been looking for. Very good debut
Carey. That goal meant a lot to him and he looked a lot better today
Grant. Had a good game and actually covers well
Fletch. Gave them a torrid time but cannot play lone striker adams.
Fox. Better midfield with him in the team.

Jervis. Did ok and should have scored at least one
Bradley. His sub upset the team. Not his fault but he didnt do much
Bliss. Not enough time to do much

DA. Terrible job today and lost us 2 points. Please go!!!!

Ref. Nope he was as bad as DA. How their 22 stayed on the pitch after the elbow on Songo is beyond me and he missed loads

Much better performance but we are relegated make no bones about it if DA stays.

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":7lzs92dm said:
Stiffler":7lzs92dm said:
Ade the green":7lzs92dm said:
Adams messed up!

Why did Adams mess up .? I wasn't there this week and the pnly thing it seemed Adams done was throw on a Defender for attacker to see out the game. This is a tactic used by the very best managers in the world.
I'm nether a pro or anti Adams but this substitution was the right thing to do.

No manager in world football has the 20:20 hindsight vision of a fickle football supporter.

Adams sealed so many single goal margin wins last season by employing exactly the same tactics as today. Get a goal up, go defensive for the last twenty and have ten men defending scientifically to contain.

DA had reason to expect his players to see it through, we've done it so many times before.

Not in this league though. And last season never felt comfortable, we were hanging on so many times. he got it badly wrong today and the players felt it too, they looked crushed at full time. We should and could have won.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Cobi Budge":23axxqvu said:
I don't think the defensive substitution was the problem, didn't have an issue with getting another body in at the back and tightening things up, the problem was simply how deep we dropped, and we kept dropping, until Shrewsbury had enough space just outside the box to get their shots away.

If you tighten things up at the back, get another body in at the back, take your solitary mobile forward off, then you are going to drop deep aren't you?

Their keeper was dreadful btw, nobody mentioned the goal, he had 89+ shaky minutes apart from the goal. Parried shots with his forearms at one stage!! :crazy:

Not only that but Fletcher was tiring but he had chased their back line doggedly and pressured tham. Both Jervis and Blissett worked much less when they came on.
I would have been tepted to bring on Lameiras or Wylde for Fletcher and continue the 'snapping Jack Russell' tactic.

Poor sub for me. Manager lost us 2 points, no doubt!

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
Ade the green":2pndp3hi said:
Adams messed up!

Adams tactics cost us the two extra points today. Defend what you have is not a good ploy with 30 mins left. We were on the up when we scored, and we should have pressed on looking for a second. If he cant change then he should go, these players are better than he would have us believe !

Jan 30, 2016
I have to agree with many of the postings in this thread. I have always given Adams the benefit of the doubt but was really annoyed when he brought Bradley on. The team was competing well and had a small goal threat. He takes off our one attacker and just invites the Shrews to attack our defence for the next 30 mins. Adams cost us two points today and I have now moved into the "we need a new manager camp".

I think that when we scored that was one of the loudest cheers that I have heard for a long time at Argyle! Great goal -lets hope Carey starts to hit some form.
New man played well
Should have played two up front.