Brief Synopsis!!! (Shrewsbury) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Shrewsbury)

Feb 25, 2008
Crownhill
Stiffler":3hqlfpza said:
Ade the green":3hqlfpza said:
Adams messed up!

Why did Adams mess up .? I wasn't there this week and the pnly thing it seemed Adams done was throw on a Defender for attacker to see out the game. This is a tactic used by the very best managers in the world.
I'm nether a pro or anti Adams but this substitution was the right thing to do.

Exactly.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
It was that effectively took a midfielder off and put on a defender. Shrewsbury waltzed through the gap that Adams had created. Has playing Jervis on his own up front EVER worked?

Mar 14, 2009
So Adams reverted to the tactics of 5-4-1 making Shrewsbury out to be Liverpool mark II.

They already gave Argyle numerous warnings they were prepared to shoot from outside the box but the lessons weren't learnt.

Two cracking finishes today. Unfortunately, two teams that were both defensively frail produced a surprisingly low scoring game. Their keeper looked shaky at times with his handling. Their defence never seemed composed. Yet instead of taking the game to them Adams decides the best way to play against a team like this is let them have the balll, defend deep and not support your loan forward.

Adams is a dour, boring, negative manager that allows his team to try and create moments in the game that can win a game of football. However, he seems to believe the best way to attack is to defend. He believes the best way to defend is not to press the ball player. That the best way to defend is sit on your own 25 yard box. If we had pace going forward and good on the counter attack or were very strong defensively then you can understand the tactics. Yet he continues to produce a team that aren't anywhere like this and worse still that in most games can't pass or shoot very well.

Even if we were to get out of this mess, it would still bring soulless victories where we are hanging on for grim death when your playing a side who if you attacked you could score goals.

Terrible substitution and in the end his tactics cost us the game. Then when they score it takes too long to get Blissett on the field of play.

The new midfielder was very good today. However, it doesn't paper over the cracks. The side just play in a style and manner where you just wondering if Argyle can hold these teams at bay. Some of the players aren't good enough but with this manager in charge it's a brand of football that's quite embrassing to watch.

Carey's goal was a cracking effort. Argyle had one or two other decent chances but really it could of been so much more positive today if we had been on the front foot.

Positive, a word and action l feel has been lost on Derek Adams footballing philosophy.

Aug 24, 2014
Buckingham
Ade the green":3luoz371 said:
Pezbuck":3luoz371 said:
Martin Thomas":3luoz371 said:
I wasn't there but DA is saying he put Bradley on to counter Shrews going 2 up front after playing 4-5-1. Is he lying?

This is correct. They put on two subs to go for it. We nearly won it in last five with a Jervis miss from 6 yards. Upwards. A good result in circumstances against undefeated league leaders - who now aren’t.

So we won then?

You know what undefeated means yeah?

Aren’t league leaders.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
Knibbsworth":3e563jqu said:
Stiffler":3e563jqu said:
Ade the green":3e563jqu said:
Adams messed up!

Why did Adams mess up .? I wasn't there this week and the pnly thing it seemed Adams done was throw on a Defender for attacker to see out the game. This is a tactic used by the very best managers in the world.

No manager in world football has the 20:20 hindsight vision of a fickle football supporter.

Adams sealed so many single goal margin wins last season by employing exactly the same tactics as today. Get a goal up, go defensive for the last twenty and have ten men defending scientifically to contain.

DA had reason to expect his players to see it through, we've done it so many times before.

That was in L2,where much more difficult in L1 with better quality opposition where to date our players have not stepped up in quality to match the opposition

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I don't think the defensive substitution was the problem, didn't have an issue with getting another body in at the back and tightening things up, the problem was simply how deep we dropped, and we kept dropping, until Shrewsbury had enough space just outside the box to get their shots away.

Dec 19, 2009
briangreen":3hh4d72h said:
Ade the green":3hh4d72h said:
Stiffler":3hh4d72h said:
Ade the green":3hh4d72h said:
Adams messed up!

Just to be sure, i’m not The only one that saw it this way.

Totally agree, Adams messed up with that negative substitution. Should have gone for the throat.

It was a poor choice of substitution IMO, any slight advantage we had was lost at that point and just invited more pressure. This was also the moment that convinced me that Adams is only going to take us down, his negativity knows no bounds it seems. :mad:

G

Green Gary

Weil done Derek. We are one Nil up, confidence starting to return, not being overly troubled by Shrewsbury, a good shape and formation. So what do you do next? With almost 25 minutes to go you bring on an extra defender and change the whole shape. Invite the league leaders onto to us for all that time. We all knew what would happen next.
If you wanted to bring a tiring Fletcher off why not bring Blissett on to occupy their centre halves.
What a master tactician you are. Thanks for the two dropped points which we really can’t afford

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
The Fletcher / Bradley substitution was a good move but far too early.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Green Gary":12c2t6ij said:
Weil done Derek. We are one Nil up, confidence starting to return, not being overly troubled by Shrewsbury, a good shape and formation. So what do you do next? With almost 25 minutes to go you bring on an extra defender and change the whole shape. Invite the league leaders onto to us for all that time. We all knew what would happen next.
If you wanted to bring a tiring Fletcher off why not bring Blissett on to occupy their centre halves.
What a master tactician you are. Thanks for the two dropped points which we really can’t afford

This.

Sums up this season.

Negitive and backwards.

The players must be even more frustrated.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Martin Thomas":29xq10j7 said:
I wasn't there but DA is saying he put Bradley on to counter Shrews going 2 up front after playing 4-5-1. Is he lying?

It's true that Shrewsbury made a change but they did not really get on top of Argyle until after Adams made his own change in response. It is fine to change formation to counter-act an opposition change but there is no law that says you HAVE TO do so. It was like he was saying that he didn't believe in his team's ability enough.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Battling performance and just shows you there isn't much between a top and bottom team. 3 pts instaed of 1 would of been so valuable and although I would of taken a draw at the start we are actually further off safety now.

Feel Adams threw it away with the negative substitution and trying to hang on to the goal lead for 25 minutes. We went 5 - 4 - 1 and lost all our momentum handing the Shrews the initiative. Felt the goal was going to be inevitable as we sat deeper and deeper.

For the last 10 minutes when it too late he played Blissett up front with Jervis and we actually had a couple of chances.

Has to go down to another tactical mistake from DA today IMHO

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
After being so angry at Adams for so long, today I am just sad.

It is hard to tell if we sat back because of our change or theirs. I fear though the defensive change hit the precious confidence of the team and fans. I could feel the mood change and I am sure the Shrews could.

League 1 won't allow you to shut up shop with the players we have. Yet we tried to for nearly 30 minutes; just sad.

If we drew 1-1 and conceded because of a non-tactical decision it would be a good point.

Yes it is hindsight, yes it is me being bitter, yes it is me being negative.... but, oh well, whatever, nevermind

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Alan Turing":1tytq2rs said:
The Fletcher / Bradley substitution was a good move but far too early.

Yes, fine for 5-10 minutes at the end of the game if you are under the cosh but with 25 minutes to go it was like saying 'okay, we've scored our goal, now let's see if you can score one'