Brief Synopsis!!! (Shrewsbury) | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Shrewsbury)

Sep 28, 2003
London
I feel like Adams is done, and it's only a matter of time until everyone acknowledges that.

It'd be very hard to get the fanbase back which he seems to have lost, especially when the football his teams produce is so awful.

Added to that some of the nonsense he keeps talking in the press, and it adds up to "when" rather than "if" he goes, at least in my opinion.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Andy Holland":2y8jvc1f said:
I feel like Adams is done, and it's only a matter of time until everyone acknowledges that.

It'd be very hard to get the fanbase back which he seems to have lost, especially when the football his teams produce is so awful.

Added to that some of the nonsense he keeps talking in the press, and it adds up to "when" rather than "if" he goes, at least in my opinion.

I don't disagree with your point Andy, but every football manager, bar Wenger, is a case of when not if.

Clearly if we use yesterdays good result (i think we all would have settled for a point before kick off) as a catalyst we could go on a good run and all will be well again.

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
Daz":3qjufkml said:
Andy Holland":3qjufkml said:

I don't disagree with your point Andy, but every football manager, bar Wenger, is a case of when not if.

Clearly if we use yesterdays good result (i think we all would have settled for a point before kick off) as a catalyst we could go on a good run and all will be well again.

Well yes obviously if we start winning, all will be well. But what evidence is there that we will? Yesterday we had 3 points due to an individual, not a team, effort. We lost 2 of them due to poor tactics, in the opinion of many. The other chances we had, we missed, as per usual. So what makes anyone think this is a catalyst for change? The only change is that we have a better player in midfield now and that definitely helped. But on his own he can't create miracles especially when we are set up to defend. I wonder if the players get coached at all in attacking football? Do we even have a coach who brings that side of the game to the training pitch? Anyone know?

Oct 24, 2010
There is nothing wrong with Adams' tactics. Virtually all league clubs who don't play with a back three play the same way or similar, either 4231, 4141 or 433 or some other variant. It's easy to simply say play with two up front, we would all like to see that but unfortunately we are only allowed eleven players on the pitch at one time so if we have two strikers we have to sacrifice elsewhere and to be outnumbered in midfield in today's football is suicide, a fact recognised by all managers, not by all fans though.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
esmer":3u9dfcz8 said:
There is nothing wrong with Adams' tactics. Virtually all league clubs who don't play with a back three play the same way or similar, either 4231, 4141 or 433 or some other variant. It's easy to simply say play with two up front, we would all like to see that but unfortunately we are only allowed eleven players on the pitch at one time so if we have two strikers we have to sacrifice elsewhere and to be outnumbered in midfield in today's football is suicide, a fact recognised by all managers, not by all fans though.

Just out of interest Es, do you see any flaws in Adams management.

I don’t mean that is derogatory way but you seem very forgiving of him and defend him when others criticise.

Good to read sometimes because it puts another spin on things that maybe some don’t see.

Apr 30, 2011
arrythewurzel":1ojodmuw said:
Thought Carey’s goal masked a team with a lot of problems and a manager who’s clearly under pressure with his decision making. Was I the only one who thought he was going to play Bradley up front as a makeshift striker. That was the only thing I could think he was thinking of. Nothing else made sense. The defence then looked shaky as suddenly they had someone else next to them and it unsettled everyone.

The first 20 minutes was the worst I’ve seen Argyle play in a long time. Bereft of confidence. No composure and like we were at Home to Real Madrid such was the respect we showed them. We look so timid. We don’t impose ourselves yet the ability to do that is there. Mustn’t be too adventurous is the maxim. If we are going out of this league I’d rather we went out with a bang rather than a whimper and it’s time for a change at home. Go for the jugular from a he off rather than watch 20 minutes of the opposition stroking it around on our great surface as if it’s a meaningless friendly.

We have the ability to hurt people with this squad but we’re using a paintbrush as a hammer.

If Adams can’t see it maybe it is time to move on. If he’s a one trick pony playing one up front then it’s clear this is a failed system at this level.

What were the other 70 minutes like?

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Carlo":1uuq8x2q said:
Biggs":1uuq8x2q said:
Certainly doesn't look like the bottom team playing the leaders on the highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewi_dY7iW-E

That showed 2 mins worth of selected highlights from a 90 minute match :lol:

The Shrewsbury goal was painful, how the hell did he find that much space? 5 defenders and we were far too deep
Were you at the game? If you were you must have watched hoping for a poo performance and have construed to kid yourself that's what it was.

What I saw was a superb game that was balanced on a knife edge throughout. We thoroughly deserved AT LEAST a point if not all three. They are, or rather were, league leaders and unbeaten this season. Clearly a very good side but although they had a lot of possession were kept at arms length by a thoroughly well organised and professional team effort by Argyle - barely a chance worth mentioning. We, however, did create good opportunities and finished the first half well on top. Second half was much the same pattern until Carey scored a well deserved beauty. They obviously came at us after that and DA chose to try to shut up shop. It was working - they never created any clear cut chances. But that painful goal of theirs was a superb bit of skill. Watch the highlights! Yes he got into 'the hole' about ten yards from our box and could have been closed down more quickly but then hit a beautiful curled ball around our defence and keeper into the corner. I was right in line and could see the quite deliberate bend he put on it. After that Blissett came on and we had another good go and had chances to win it - although we had a scare ourselves.

So what I saw was a close, thoroughly absorbing match that ended even due to two superbly taken goals. I was gutted we didn't win but came away from HP having enjoyed a great afternoon's entertainment. If you want more than that I suggest you try another sport or go to movies.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Carlo":1lk141yl said:
Biggs":1lk141yl said:
Certainly doesn't look like the bottom team playing the leaders on the highlights.

The Shrewsbury goal was painful, how the hell did he find that much space? 5 defenders and we were far too deep

You do know that those highlights are put together by the EFL who are neutral? Those are the same highlights Shrewsbury will use.

Those two minutes are actually a good reflection of the game, we had a lot less of the ball, but we definitely did more with it.

Aug 11, 2013
Penmaster":2njpt2yj said:
arrythewurzel":2njpt2yj said:
Thought Carey’s goal masked a team with a lot of problems and a manager who’s clearly under pressure with his decision making. Was I the only one who thought he was going to play Bradley up front as a makeshift striker. That was the only thing I could think he was thinking of. Nothing else made sense. The defence then looked shaky as suddenly they had someone else next to them and it unsettled everyone.

The first 20 minutes was the worst I’ve seen Argyle play in a long time. Bereft of confidence. No composure and like we were at Home to Real Madrid such was the respect we showed them. We look so timid. We don’t impose ourselves yet the ability to do that is there. Mustn’t be too adventurous is the maxim. If we are going out of this league I’d rather we went out with a bang rather than a whimper and it’s time for a change at home. Go for the jugular from a he off rather than watch 20 minutes of the opposition stroking it around on our great surface as if it’s a meaningless friendly.

We have the ability to hurt people with this squad but we’re using a paintbrush as a hammer.

If Adams can’t see it maybe it is time to move on. If he’s a one trick pony playing one up front then it’s clear this is a failed system at this level.

What were the other 70 minutes like?

10-15 mins of football resembling league 1 status. 55 minutes of teeth gnashing frustration peaking during last 20 minutes whilst 9 outfield players stood in a line across the edge of our goalmouth like pawns on a chess board.

Feb 8, 2005
Cobi Budge":vvvmj14l said:
Carlo":vvvmj14l said:
Biggs":vvvmj14l said:

You do know that those highlights are put together by the EFL who are neutral? Those are the same highlights Shrewsbury will use.

Those two minutes are actually a good reflection of the game, we had a lot less of the ball, but we definitely did more with it.

If you subscribe to iFollow you will get about 10/12 minutes of the game as extended highlights, which will give you a better idea of what happened at the match, if you didn't attend, of course.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Lesley Somerville":3purk67t said:
Would just like to add that the last time I really enjoyed watching us as a football team (not as MY team which of course is different), was when Holloway was in charge. It was the absolute antithesis of what DA serves up.

That's true.

Feb 2, 2007
r4h4al":e18jdy4a said:
Lesley Somerville":e18jdy4a said:
Would just like to add that the last time I really enjoyed watching us as a football team (not as MY team which of course is different), was when Holloway was in charge. It was the absolute antithesis of what DA serves up.

That's true.

Agree but it was a very talented team full of very decent acquisitions, some of them in top Champ wages. Can't compare that to the budget all the successors have had,

Adams has spent £15k on fees and a fairly low proportion on agents fees.

Cheap as chips and he has done a good job to get us where he has. It would appear he can't take us any further.

Feb 17, 2017
I would have signed Marty Kennedy far better than anything we’ve signed and seems to be just fine at Portsmouth, the crazy thing is some people on here were saying they wouldn’t have him back, he’s one of the reasons we’re a weaker side currently this year. With our new midfielder, Kennedy, Carey and Taylor fit we would have had a good line up