Brief Synopsis!!! (Shrewsbury) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Shrewsbury)

Mar 23, 2008
Stiffler":1rnznva6 said:
Ade the green":1rnznva6 said:
Adams messed up!

Why did Adams mess up .? I wasn't there this week and the pnly thing it seemed Adams done was throw on a Defender for attacker to see out the game. This is a tactic used by the very best managers in the world.
I'm nether a pro or anti Adams but this substitution was the right thing to do.
It really wasn't, we were on top and easily the better team, the substitution gave all the impetus to them and in truth we were pushed right back to defending our box.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Maybe just an off day but Shrewsbury's keeper was the worst I've seen in a long time.

Jul 6, 2011
Ade the green":1k5bbktp said:
Stiffler":1k5bbktp said:
Ade the green":1k5bbktp said:
Adams messed up!

Why did Adams mess up .? I wasn't there this week and the pnly thing it seemed Adams done was throw on a Defender for attacker to see out the game. This is a tactic used by the very best managers in the world.

Just to be sure, iā€™m not The only one that saw it this way.

Totally agree, Adams messed up with that negative substitution. Should have gone for the throat.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Ade the green":49o9ha79 said:
Cobi Budge":49o9ha79 said:
Maybe just an off day but Shrewsbury's keeper was the worst I've seen in a long time.

I think youā€™re just making excuses for us going in front in a game.

Not sure where you've got that from, there was nothing he could do about the goal, brilliant hit.

Apr 5, 2008
We said in match thread be best not go too defensively,after we scored ,as it's not working anymore ,altought I guess you could say we couldn't be sure if that was the correct tactic,as their only been one other game all season we have been leading :facepalm:

But he really does now need to change how we set up to play.A point every game won't be enough to stay up anyway.

Aug 5, 2016
Stiffler":2ha7qg5d said:
Ade the green":2ha7qg5d said:
Adams messed up!

No manager in world football has the 20:20 hindsight vision of a fickle football supporter.

Adams sealed so many single goal margin wins last season by employing exactly the same tactics as today. Get a goal up, go defensive for the last twenty and have ten men defending scientifically to contain.

DA had reason to expect his players to see it through, we've done it so many times before.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
We sat deep--then deeper--then deeper still until, inevitably, we had created enough space for Shrewsbury to get off their shots. So frustrating--every spectator could see it, everybody was saying it. However, a much improved performance.

Aug 24, 2014
Buckingham
Martin Thomas":28qva8j1 said:
I wasn't there but DA is saying he put Bradley on to counter Shrews going 2 up front after playing 4-5-1. Is he lying?

This is correct. They put on two subs to go for it. We nearly won it in last five with a Jervis miss from 6 yards. Upwards. A good result in circumstances against undefeated league leaders - who now arenā€™t.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Martin Thomas":33zx2l7f said:
I wasn't there but DA is saying he put Bradley on to counter Shrews going 2 up front after playing 4-5-1. Is he lying?

What do you think? We had enough defenders to deal with one extra attacker, why pack the defence so no-one knows whoā€™s picking who up and in the end no-one does. The best form of defence is attack and if we had the big man up front heā€™d have held the ball in the right area of the field (possibly).

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Pezbuck":1dgapnkl said:
Martin Thomas":1dgapnkl said:

This is correct. They put on two subs to go for it. We nearly won it in last five with a Jervis miss from 6 yards. Upwards. A good result in circumstances against undefeated league leaders - who now arenā€™t.

So we won then?

You know what undefeated means yeah?

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Martin Thomas":29btva4v said:

He says himself that 2 upfront is too easy to defend against...Oops.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
Top v bottom and a deserved draw with a battling performance that could have been a win.

The game plan was to stifle Shrewsbury and we did that well for the first half, finishing the half with some good chances of our own, we were more adventurous during the second period and Carey scored a cracking long range goal, however despite being on top and just scoring the tactics and formation were changed to play five defenders at the back, this invited pressure and sure enough Shrewsbury grabbed an equaliser.
It was difficult for the players to get out of their defensive mode, although Jervis had a glorious late chance but shot well over.

With Shrewsbury on the ropes after we scored it would have been interesting to see if by using the same tactics we might have scored a second goal instead of replacing a striker with a defender and playing a defensive game.

Diagouraga made his debut in midfield in a 4-1-2-3 formation. Fox sat deep and had Diagouraga and Sarcevic in front of him, Carey played wide right, Grant on the left and young striker Fletcher ploughed a lone furrow up front.

From the first minute we were happy to sit back, let Shrewsbury have possession and stifle their play.
The first 30 minutes of the game saw Shrewsbury move the ball from side to side without penetrating our defence - Letheren didn't have a save to make - it was effective tactics but not entertaining.
At the other end Songo'o had our best chance but headed over.

Towards the half time whistle we pushed forward and the Shrewsbury keeper had to make a fumbling save from a Carey free-kick and Sarcevic shot over. He injured himself by stretching for the ball and was replaced by Jervis with Carey moving to the centre.

The game plan from Adams had worked because we held Shrewsbury at arms length while creating chances of our own.

For the second half we came out of our shell more and attacked Shrewsbury, Fletcher and Jervis had half chances as we played on the counter attack.

We just in front with a cracking goal from Carey, he picked up a loose ball, drove forward and unleashed a shot from 25 yards out, the Shrewsbury keeper couldn't move and there was a hush as we all waited for the ball to nestle in the net. What a goal!

Shrewsbury were rattled and we surged forward looking for the second goal.

Then 10 minutes after scoring Adams opted for safety first and replaced Fletcher with Bradley and played with a back five while Jervis played as a lone striker, while Shrewsbury changed to two strikers.

The move changed the game - we now sat back and defended, wave after wave of Shrewsbury attacks came at us and we defended well. From looking for a second goal we now were in a defensive mindset to not concede. It was too long to play in the game to hold onto a 1-0 lead.

Letheren made a good save as the pressure mounted, we just couldn't keep the ball to stick up front.

We couldn't hold out and Shrewsbury scored the equaliser in the 78th minute when Whalley tried his luck with a toe poke of a shot that sneaked into the far corner.

Would be hold on for the point or would Shrewsbury grab the winner?

It was difficult for the players to break out of their defensive mindset, especially when we still played with a back five. Adams did throw on Blissett late in the game but hedged his bets by still playing with five defenders.

We had some late pressure that ended with Jervis blazing over and that was it.
A good battling performance, a deserved draw and a cracking goal from Carey.

There were some tired legs at the end of the game, some players - Fox, Grant, Diagouraga, Fletcher and Taylor-Sinclair had not played a full 90 minutes for a while and the stifling and containing game plan sapped their energy.

Diagouraga had a very good game, he tackled well, covered the ground and started attacks.
Fletcher ran his socks off but his inclusion was odd - if he's selected to score goals then why was the game plan to sit back and defend? If he's there to hold up the ball then why aim the ball at his head rather than his feet? In today's game plan of choice Blissett would have been the better option.

Carey had his best game for a long time, when he plays well the team plays well and his goal was vintage Graham Carey.

Songo'o was again a warrior in defence - strong and decisive.

Sawyer did ok at right-back when defending but too often when attacking he stopped and switched to his favoured left foot and passed backwards and any momentum was lost.
Taylor-Sinclair had a poor start but he recovered and had a decent game.

It was good to see Bradley back but his inclusion unsettled the team, which is not his fault. He was warming up right from the start of the second half so it looked to be a planned decision to bring him on during the second half whatever the score was.

How are Shrewsbury top of the league with such a poor goalkeeper? His handling and kicking was terrible and he should have been a target for high balls. Is he fourth or fifth choice keeper?

Scoring first and defending the lead served us well in League Two but the same tactic does not work in League One because of the better standard of opposition team, player and manager.

We could have won if we were more adventurous and what a confidence booster it would have been if we did win.

Man of the match: Carey.

Letheren 7, Sawyer 6, Edwards 6, Songo'o 7, Taylor-Sinclair 6, Fox 7, Sarcevic 5, Carey 8, Grant 6, Diagouraga 7, Fletcher 6. Subs Jervis 5, Bradley 6, Blissett n/a.

Oct 24, 2013
Ade the green":1ckwhs72 said:
Pezbuck":1ckwhs72 said:
Martin Thomas":1ckwhs72 said:

So we won then?

You know what undefeated means yeah?

Arenā€™t League leaders now, not arenā€™t undefeated.