Will we be raided in January? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Will we be raided in January?

mulliongreen

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 30, 2009
`With all due respect`, like many others you continue to compare apples with oranges.
Unfortunately he was sold to the fans by Lowe as better than Carey or Lameiras, which was unfair on Danny. The position he plays and how he plays dictates how the team play and for me he has not been influential enough on a consistent basis. Having said that he was outstanding last night and he changed the game, long may that continue.

Dec 30, 2020
without knowing much about Preston’s squad it’s difficult to say, but Houghton has a) been absolutely sensational for Argyle and b) is the type of player who is critical to the way Lowe plays.

I would guess he is the biggest risk of being targeted, followed by Camara. I’d also not be surprised by interest in M Cooper, Grant, Jephcott, Hardie or Ennis. All players who have already had good success in league 1 and are going to get even better as they mature

Reactions: notwop

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
based purely on the versions that played for Argyle, Houghton is miles better than Hourihane.
I know what you are saying but put a 21 year old Houghton in the Argyle team that Hourihane was surrounded by and he wouldn't have looked so good. I don't think that Houghton will ever reach the heights that Hourihane has in his career but he is critical to the way we play currently.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Bet Galloway ends up at PNE one way or another.... wonder if RL leaving influenced the apparent delay in BG signing a new contract? 🤔
But isn’t Galloway going to sign an 18 month contract and not be able to play in a match for 6 months due to surgery and rehab?

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I
I’m honestly trying to think who out of our squad is championship quality.

l think from what l’ve seen if Ennis he might be. M Cooper might be but he has a weakness with the physicality of commanding his box when the ball is in the air.

After this l think we have some decent league one players like Wilson.

People know l love Camara but he lacks composure with his passing, crossing and shooting in the final third. And here we are worried about losing a player who l don’t think is currently a top league 1 player.

Danny Mayor is one of our most creative players in our squad. However, his lack of an end product highlights where our squad is currently when he is the guy we turn to to open up the opposition.

Before worrying about players who are championship quality, we need to find more who are top league 1 quality and can compete against the more physical sides in this league like Rotherham & Wycombe.
think Conor Grant is championship quality personally.

Oct 11, 2014
But isn’t Galloway going to sign an 18 month contract and not be able to play in a match for 6 months due to surgery and rehab?
We will likely get in a loanee to replace Galloway in the transfer window. I also predict most of our dealings in the transfer window will be about plugging holes for players who are out long term, rather than just bolstering the squad for the sake of it.

Reactions: Tavy Tony
Oct 18, 2021
I know what you are saying but put a 21 year old Houghton in the Argyle team that Hourihane was surrounded by and he wouldn't have looked so good. I don't think that Houghton will ever reach the heights that Hourihane has in his career but he is critical to the way we play currently.
Agreed Houghton is critical and seems the run of bad results has coincided with teams marking him out of the game. Wycombe were happy for Scarr to carry the ball once Houghton wasn’t an option in the middle. It resulted in Scarr taking up positions that defenders just don’t want to be in, then we ran out of ideas. Jeohcott dropping deep to receive the ball, again Wycombe never let Houghton become an option for the pass.

Reactions: jerryatricjanner

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Looking back at the reports in the summer when Grant and Mayor signed new 2 year contracts Lowe said he invited Mayor and his Mrs to his house to discuss a new contract and he visited Grant at his mum and dad's house, presumably in Liverpool, to also talk about a new deal.

Soon after both players signed with Lowe stating a Championship club wanted Mayor.

So Lowe will know the details of the contracts and any release clauses.
The Transfermarkt website has each player valued at £225,000.

With 18 months left on their contracts would they leave?

Dec 30, 2020
The young Houghton who came on loan wasn't.

not sure I agree. For two years Argyle teams with Hourihane as the midfield heartbeat were barely good enough to stay in the league. He obviously had ability and was at least better than most of his team mates but a lot of fans didn’t rate him and he wasn’t an outstanding player, even in league 2.

It’s true that Houghton was similarly unremarkable during his spell at Argyle at a similar age.

The relevance to this thread is that it’s simplistic to think of players being in set categories of championship/league 1/league 2 quality - particularly those who are years away from their peak.

Players go up & down leagues the whole time & factors like how they’re coached, the style of play and their own determination/work ethic all effect whether they succeed or not. Most of the signings Lowe (or Schumacher) make are likely to be on 2-3 year contracts and he’s going to be thinking about their development over those kind of timeframes

Reactions: Nobby
Sep 6, 2006
without knowing much about Preston’s squad it’s difficult to say, but Houghton has a) been absolutely sensational for Argyle and b) is the type of player who is critical to the way Lowe plays.

I would guess he is the biggest risk of being targeted, followed by Camara. I’d also not be surprised by interest in M Cooper, Grant, Jephcott, Hardie or Ennis. All players who have already had good success in league 1 and are going to get even better as they mature
Jephcott and Hardie are struggling in Lrague 1 at the moment. How do you think they would manage in Championship?

Apr 1, 2009
Interesting. He hasn't played there very much - I remember 3 games under Adams where a lot of people were impressed. There's no way Lowe will sign him to play that position.

I'm far from convinced CG is defensively strong enough to play LB in a 4 in the Championship, or for that matter as a DM in that league. I don't think he's got the pace to play LWB at that level. He has, however, improved steadily for us, has a wand of a left foot, and scores a few. With his versatility he's a hugely important member of our squad at L1 level, and I'd hate to lose him.