Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 24 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I've said before about Steve Evans. Probably doesn't meet the c0ck criteria but a lot of us remember how complimentary he has been about the club in the past and when we played him after the shootings he was outstanding as a character. Perhaps a Mr nasty on the touchline is whats needed.

I’ll happily die on this hill with you rsp4, I quite like Steve Evans.

Reactions: rsp4

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Has anyone mentioned Danny Cowley? At Colchester now after it all went wrong at Pompey for him. The Cowley brothers would really "get" Argyle .

The Cowley’s have only ever really done well at one club - Lincoln. They failed at Huddersfield + Portsmouth and Colchester currently sit in the L2 relegation zone. It’s a big no from me.

Reactions: MustardEagle

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
I’ve always liked the look of Ian Evatt at Bolton, suspect though he’d have aspirations of someone bigger than us if he were to leave Bolton (and Bolton be paying him more now than we would/could I reckon). If they didn’t go up and we stayed up that could be more possible

I just keep coming back to Michael Duff or a foreign manager.

After taking a “calculated risk” over Foster I do wonder about the benefits of another left field option.

That said; I’m very much a paid up flag waving, drum beating, card carrying supporter of Simon’s stance that we need to outthink everyone, as we can’t outspend (which means being creative)
Once again all the reasons why Michael Duff would not be a good fit, particularly after what we’ve gone through with Foster - see below

May 28, 2015
Valeri Ismael anyone? Did very well at Barnsley and survived longer than most at Watford

I mentioned his name last week. Got Barnsley in the playoffs with no money at all. West Brom and Watford aren’t clubs that are easy to succeed at so I take those spells lightly. Only downside to him is I believe he plays quite direct with a lot of pace in the team, not sure how much we would look at him because the “data” would probably put him in the long ball category

Reactions: Koala Green
May 28, 2015
The more and more I think about it the more I come back to the same decision I had in January and that’s that I would like Andrew Crofts. First team coach of one of the best footballing side in the country, he’s literally the one implementing everything Brighton do on the training ground. Brighton have gone so far so he must have some good knowledge in terms of how they have succeeded so well. And if you listen to the press conference from when he was interim manager he speaks so well. Seems very likeable. I know he has no experience managerially but I don’t feel he’s as much of a risk as foster was

Jan 17, 2006
Saltash
I feel Crofts would be more of the same as Foster, great coach, maybe not a manager. Steve McLaren was always considered one if the best coaches in England, but was an average at best manager. We got lucky with Schuey and I think that whilst it was a great decision, taking a punt in league 1 is not the same as taking a punt in the championship.
All that said however, I think the timing is much better now than with Foster. There is a pre-season and time to coach the changes and ideas, something Foster didn't have.
I am on the fence a little really, my head says if we stay up we MUST go for some experience, but is there really anyone available who would get me excited... I dunno...
Tough one for Parky and the Brain to sort out.

COYG!!

Reactions: greenpig27

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
I mentioned his name last week. Got Barnsley in the playoffs with no money at all. West Brom and Watford aren’t clubs that are easy to succeed at so I take those spells lightly. Only downside to him is I believe he plays quite direct with a lot of pace in the team, not sure how much we would look at him because the “data” would probably put him in the long ball category

To be honest, I'm starting to think that the data analysts (and I'm saying that as with my data analyst hat on in my current job role) can "do one" regarding the appointment of a new manager. Yes, I get we have a set up in place. I get that the intention was the head-coach would be a 'straight-swap' for the previous if they meet certain criteria to keep the team running without a hiccup. And it didn't work with Foster.

So assuming we stay up (and, to a certain extent if we go down too), I don't want a manager who fits in and will coach the team how "we" want them to play. I'm agnostic as to whether we have a club manager or a head-coach but that person must have a big say in who we sign in the summer, and if that manager wants to play hoof-ball: if it keeps us in the Championship and makes us competitive on the pitch, then bring it on. If that manager has baggage: meh. If he gets the job done on a Saturday afternoon and keeps control of the dressing-room then that's fine with me.

Ryan Lowe was a shrewd signing when we got him. We were lucky as he came as a job lot with Schumacher so when Lowe moved on we were lucky he could step up and take Lowe's place, so I don't quite buy this "our data analysts got it right with two appointments" argument. They got it right once.

As long as that manager knows how to fight in the Championship and got the stripes to prove it, especially on a very modest budget - they'll do for me.

Apr 2, 2024
I think it is more than that though. We have clearly invested in players who can play a certain way. Any new manager / head coach has to acknowledge that and support that style of play.
If we appointed an old school route 1 Tony Pulis type of coach it would be a waste of the money we had invested in RH and MW.
We need to align a new manager with the talent we have in our squad.

Jul 29, 2008
It would be a complete turn around for the board to appoint a manager who has been around the block like many have mentioned on this thread & in January, I suspect it will be another young manager with limited experience but likely more club experience, perhaps as a number 2 or a year or two as a number one in league 1/2. Don’t envy them as it’s twice as hard this time after the failure of IF, they won’t want the backlash of getting it wrong twice!

Jan 16, 2024
Getting another manager like Shuey where we the fans liked him and his football is probably not the norm.
My Leicester mate doesn't like Maresca the football it too tippy, tappy. My Brum mate didn't like Eustace, defensive football, rates Mowbray, but is not happy with Rowett. My Forest mate moaned Cooper didn't have a plan b.