Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 26 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Who do you want as the new manager?

• Johannes Hoff Thorup

Votes: 83 21.3%
  • Anthony Barry

Votes: 48 12.3%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

Votes: 38 9.7%
  • Nigel Pearson

Votes: 26 6.7%
  • Michael Skubala

Votes: 53 13.6%
  • Nathan Jones

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • Alex Neil

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Gareth Ainsworth

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • Gary Rowett

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 56 14.4%
  • David Wagner

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Will Still

Votes: 47 12.1%

• Total voters
Sep 3, 2011
Oh don't get me wrong neither do I......

But I've a feeling this will happen, he's the same kind of mould in my opinion as Southgate. And I feel would tick alot if the boxes the fa would want.
Gerrard hasn't a chance whilst Foster is available 🙄

Oct 1, 2013
The thing about Ryan Lowe was that he was the obvious candidate at the time. Promoted with a Bury team against the odds, yet with the club just about to implode. He had just finished in the automatic promotion spots in L2 and was pretty much out of a job - I know we paid some compo but the club never actually started the next season. And we were effectively a L1 team coming down to L2, where we are a very big fish in the pond.

When he moved on, we had long since identified we had his successor in house already - someone ready to step straight in with some gudiance from a couple of old heads to start with - initially Keith Downing on the touchline and training pitch and ND in the stands.

This time around is so different. Two divisons higher, the calibre of manager needed so different. Yet there was no obvious or standout candidate in December or now. Those tearing up trees in L1 - Mousinho, Warne, Evett - at arguably at bigger clubs than Argyle already. They wouldn't be interested in coming here and we probably wouldn't be able to afford their compo anyway. So if we are poaching, we are looking at the clubs in places 5-10 realistically.

Is there anyone in L2 that could step up? I quite like Wild, but its a massive step up from Barrow to Argyle in the Championship. Challinor and Parkinson could probably step up of course, but they aren't going to be leaving Stockport or Wrexham in L1 for us. Mike Williamson at MK Dons, Paul Cook possibly?

The out of work pot is arguable worse now than it was in December. Eustace, Rowett and Nathan Jones are now unavailable, replaced by Duff, Ismael and Beale. Then there are the out of works that would probably never consider us - Cooper, Potter, Neil and the out of work 'big name ex-players' - Rooney, Lampard, Parker who maybe interested but probably have expectations (their wages, budgets, transfer funds) way above our station.

Lastly, there is the massive risks (IMO) - the academy coaches with no EFL experience or a random name from abroad. Another IF if you like. Andrew Crofts, Leighton Baines, Brendan Barry Murphy, Ryan Mason, Big D Schruder, that one from Norway, one that someone will find in the German third tier.

My early doors shortlist - Skubala, Duff, Williamson - on the basis we go for less risk this time around.

Absolute left field, dark horse, 1000-1 outsider, hunch, pick - depending on whether ND has any influence left, just how desperate he is to get back into football and whether he can recreate what he started to build at Derby with no funds - Wayne Rooney. Ticks quite a few boxes - Championship experience, good contacts, worked at Derby with no money and kept them up until admin, then nearly kept them up with points off, young and ambitious, needs something to get him back in and after Birmingham no big club is taking a chance on him - doing well here would get his reputation back. And bonus boxes - mate of Dewsnip and a Scouser.

I don't think he'd get it but he is what we are kinda looking for!
Luke Williams at Notts County was available at the time... seems to have made the jump to Swansea after a rocky start

Reactions: MustardEagle

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Luke Williams at Notts County was available at the time... seems to have made the jump to Swansea after a rocky start
I really like Luke Williams. But he is ex Swansea and was always going there.

I remember him being interviewed before or after our game with them in January. Said that there is only so much information he can pass on in such a short time. Basically changing things gradually. If only eh....

Apr 27, 2006
Getting another manager like Shuey where we the fans liked him and his football is probably not the norm.
My Leicester mate doesn't like Maresca the football it too tippy, tappy. My Brum mate didn't like Eustace, defensive football, rates Mowbray, but is not happy with Rowett. My Forest mate moaned Cooper didn't have a plan b.
But Cooper's plan A got them to the Prem. Some fans eh!

Aug 23, 2006
Home Park
I would definitely take Steve Cooper but he's out of our price Range. I spoke to someone last night and he said Warnock wanted 20k a week. Can't vouch for it but I heard it from someone.

• Haha
Reactions: Lancastergreen

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I think we could add a few more things to the job criteria, on top of a body of evidence of exciting attacking football.

From not really caring about charisma too much, I now think it is actually important for this particular job. Sense of fun. Collaborative. Has his own coaching staff!

Yes all those things are hard to find in one person, but there’s a whole world out there and this is a very attractive job in a global context (esp if we stay up).

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
A people person with his own Backroom Staff
A person who totally buys into Only One Argyle - our core values , ethos & the personnel already in the building
We have had our fingers burnt- don't think we will go there again
A person that when you watch the 1st Interview - will give a good 1st impression
The world is our oyster - will look forward to who it will be

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
Someone who has gone under the radar is Anthony Barry. His track record is assistant manager at Wigan under Paul Cook, assistant manager to Frank Lampard at Chelsea, assistant manager to Roberto Martinez at Belgium and Portugal. Now at Bayern Munich with Tuchel and will be leaving at the season’s end. Now under consideration by Sporting Lisbon to replace Amorim should he leave.

At 37 he’s got a lot of pedigree behind him. The other essential qualification is that he’s a scouser and was at Everton’s academy!

Reactions: Drake

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Would Darrell Clarke be a bad shout? He was loved at Bristol Rovers and he’s given Cheltenham a fighting chance this season when they previously looked dead and buried. Admittedly no Championship experience but plenty of EFL experience.

Said old Green

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jan 3, 2023
I like the Naismith shouts but haven't got a clue if we could attract him.

Another name id chuck in is Mark Warburton who was absolutely part of a data driven system at Brentford.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Someone who has gone under the radar is Anthony Barry. His track record is assistant manager at Wigan under Paul Cook, assistant manager to Frank Lampard at Chelsea, assistant manager to Roberto Martinez at Belgium and Portugal. Now at Bayern Munich with Tuchel and will be leaving at the season’s end. Now under consideration by Sporting Lisbon to replace Amorim should he leave.

At 37 he’s got a lot of pedigree behind him. The other essential qualification is that he’s a scouser and was at Everton’s academy!
And was allegedly staying in a Plymouth hotel the night before the interviews. Could have been over here for a wedding or sommat I suppose.

Reactions: Graham Clark

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
Surely that detail kills that one stone dead?
Assuming Amorim actually leaves and one of the others under consideration don’t get the job. The interest is because of his Portugal links. He will be available. He’s highly regarded and has worked with better players than most other potential candidates.

Reactions: Wexford Green
Nov 18, 2011
I would definitely take Steve Cooper but he's out of our price Range. I spoke to someone last night and he said Warnock wanted 20k a week. Can't vouch for it but I heard it from someone.
I bet he'd also want a huge bonus if he kept us up. As I've seen written here before, the man's main loyalty is to his wallet.