Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 22 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Who do you want as the new manager?

• Johannes Hoff Thorup

Votes: 84 21.4%
  • Anthony Barry

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

Votes: 38 9.7%
  • Nigel Pearson

Votes: 26 6.6%
  • Michael Skubala

Votes: 53 13.5%
  • Nathan Jones

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • Alex Neil

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Gareth Ainsworth

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • Gary Rowett

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 56 14.2%
  • David Wagner

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Will Still

Votes: 48 12.2%

• Total voters
Sep 3, 2011
There's alot to consider for any interested candidates; location, budget, facilities and the key one for me other employees influences.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Perhaps this isnā€™t realisticā€¦ I donā€™t really know. But I donā€™t want it to be anyone who applies for the role. Especially if we stay up, we should be looking at the whole world of football, identifying who we want and going out and getting them.

Aug 23, 2006
Home Park
Most good managers normally like to have a half decent budget to work with, this will help them achieve success. And with success comes greater opportunities. We dont have that luxury here. So it's going to be hard to poach or convince someone. I get lowe and SS went on to so called bigger clubs but that was mostly from league one a far more forgiving league. And SS was grateful for the opportunity handed to him we didn't poach him. I doubt Ian Foster will walk into another management Job quickly. It could be a big put off for some.

Jun 24, 2008
Take out Warnock as apprantely he officially retired.

The rest of those names worry me. Some of these more experienced guys, l have big doubts over. And the reason is simple. Budget.

When was the last time some of these guys worked with a budget that was of Argyle's size. And how successful were they? What style of football did they play?

Surely we want a manager/coach who plays good attacking football by scoring loads of goals throughout the team. He has also proven he can do this with a much lower budget than many of his competitors in the same league.

A manager/coach who develops young players. Gives them the confidence to express themselves.

A manager/coach who has show tactical flexibility & most importantly has proven, with his in games tactics, he can change the direction of travel in his favour for a game.

A manager who speaks well & positive. Personally l think its all soundbite nonsense at times but l see how the fanbase reacted to Foster. So as they reacted so badly to him it is important the new man is able to get over his messages concise & clearly to the fanbase about his playstyle.
Well said. Can't argue with any of that.

I particulary think your final point is important. The club will no doubt be looking at what went wrong, what Foster wasn't able to offer and re-evaulating that into the criteria they originally set into recruitment for the role.

Mar 27, 2008
I'd take Michael Skubala. It'd only happen though if we stay up and Lincoln don't get promoted.

The board will get in another young promising coach, it's worked 2 out of the 3 times they've tried it. They aren't going to chuck their whole model away despite Foster not working out, whether we like it or not. With that in mind we may a well look at managers who would fit the model, considering anyone like McCarthy or Warnock is just a waste of time.

Unlike Foster, Skubala does have managerial experience already which is important and where Foster was so lacking, he's doing a great job at Lincoln right now and they're very much punching above their weight.

After reading this:

He does come across as someone who would slot in well into the project that Argyle are trying to put together what with his data led approach, track record in developing young players and attractive style of play.
A very interesting read that. Seems to know exactly how he wants his teams to play? I think he would indeed slot in well to our project. Could we possibly tempt him away from Lincoln so soon after his appointment?
Iā€˜d be happy to see him above all the other names iā€™ve read so far?

Feb 14, 2022
Skubala does seem to fit the previous criteria we were looking for. December came too early for him really as he only started at Lincoln in November. Now he has all eyes on them as one of the form teams in L1, scoring goals for fun and seemingly tight at the back. If I was SH, I would want to be talking to him at the very least. My only concern is that Lincoln making the play-offs/him being involved in our process may delay any appointment, whether he gets the job or not, when we have a busy summer rebuild ahead.

May 28, 2015
I personally would happily have skubala although as Iā€™ve already said Andrew Crofts would be my first choice. My only worry with skubala should he end up here would be like schuey (probably a bit early to judge him yet) but so many managers start so well in their first job at their first club and then the second one doesnā€™t seem to go as well once they make a move they think is for the better. Granted most of the time they usually choose to go to clubs where you think ā€œwhy on earth have they gone there, no manager does wellā€ however we arenā€™t one of those clubs

Feb 14, 2022
I personally would happily have skubala although as Iā€™ve already said Andrew Crofts would be my first choice. My only worry with skubala should he end up here would be like schuey (probably a bit early to judge him yet) but so many managers start so well in their first job at their first club and then the second one doesnā€™t seem to go as well once they make a move they think is for the better. Granted most of the time they usually choose to go to clubs where you think ā€œwhy on earth have they gone there, no manager does wellā€ however we arenā€™t one of those clubs

I think SS will be fine at Stoke - now he has got over the initial period, he will make pre-season, get his own players in and have a chance to get his ideas over. He can make the changes over the summer now rather than mid-season in important games where the result matters.

Skubala has been involved in PL football with Leeds and L1 now with Lincoln. He knows what it takes in the EFL now unlike Foster who hadn't been in the EFL since 2016. Whoever comes into Argyle in the summer will have a better chance too. Personally, I am all for taking another risk but maybe not a Crofts or Baines type with no EFL experience. Find someone like Skubala or Williamson or even Duff who has done OK at a lower level and is now due a chance at the next step up.

Reactions: MustardEagle
Oct 31, 2015
Steve Evans knows how to get the best out of limited resources but he comes with baggage and thatā€™s not just his waistline! šŸ˜†
I've said before about Steve Evans. Probably doesn't meet the c0ck criteria but a lot of us remember how complimentary he has been about the club in the past and when we played him after the shootings he was outstanding as a character. Perhaps a Mr nasty on the touchline is whats needed.

Oct 9, 2023
My opinion on those linked within this article so far: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spo...ng-favourites-for-plymouth-argyle-job-4577597

Heckingbottom - No thanks. Don't think he's all that and certainly doesn't suit our style.
Warnock - I would have for 6 games but not for a season.
Pearson - No. I would reconsider renewing my ST, guy is a tool.
Alex Neil - Yes. But I would be wary given how quick he was to jump from Sunderland to Stoke off a good run.
Sorry for you, but Nigel Pearson has been linked to us in the Sheffield press and I have a few mates in Bristol , both Robins and
The Gas, and they've also heard there
that, ' Pearson might be on his way
to Argyle !'.

Well, he did take Leicester up from
League One and later got them promoted from the Championship .Then he went
on to build 90% of the Leicester team
which won The Premiership , albeit
under Ranieri.

However, I think we will go for a younger manager but with EFL experience .