What ‘unpopular opinion’ do you have? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What ‘unpopular opinion’ do you have?

C

Cult Of Personality

Stevie Maclean was a decent footballer never given a proper chance by the fans, as his success after leaving us showed. He loved Argyle and Plymouth and was very sorry not to have been able to bring us the success we wanted.

(Second sentence is fact, not opinion.)
Have heard the same that his family loved it down here. Heard him and his wife did loads of the primary school his kids were at .

Dec 30, 2020
I remain a fan of Ian Holloway too. He is a bit of a bullpoo merchant for sure but he assembled a great team that was closer to getting us to the premier league than any other until he was forced to start selling them off. He also admitted his mistake in leaving Argyle, which counts for a lot I think.

I'd say the exact and probably equally unpopular opposite of this.

I thought Holloway was supremely overrated. He was at Argyle for barely a season and even when he left, most of our key players were ones he'd inherited from Sturrock and Pulis. The style of play was built around scrappers (Timar, Wotton, Nalis, Norris, Hayles - this was the manager who forced out Buszaky and spent big money on Rory Fallon) and led us a mere three places higher than Tony Pulis managed after taking over from Williamson mid-season

Had he stuck around, I don't think it would have made any difference to the club's subsequent trajectory.

Sep 13, 2009
Not only unpopular, but also with the benefit of hindsight pretty much completely wrong, but I thought Bjarni Gudjonsson should have been a lynchpin in the team.

I still have a weirdly fond memories of him.

Reactions: East End Green
Mar 16, 2006
Manchester
I can't stand that Pompey video with the Titanic music. It's badly edited and the music adds nothing.

Also can't stand that people always hark back to that Peter Hartley goal as some sort of life highlight. It ultimately served no purpose once we'd lost at Wembley. It's like losing your head over being 2-0 up at half time only to lose 3-2 in 90 minutes.

Other unpopular opinions:

Martin Barlow was our best player of the 90s
Aside from being a really good shot-stopper, Romain Larrieu wasn't that good. His kicking in particular was woeful.
Warrens pasties are the best pasties.
The fans-fest is cringeworthy. I've been and the people there seem to have a load of fun, but it ain't for me.
The green we've sported since 2001 IS "Argyle" green. Get over it.
The red blob wasn't that bad. Bond Timber and LTC Powered Access looked far worse.
Puma make decent shirts.
I like music being played before the match.

Mar 16, 2006
Manchester
Until this season, the Argyle manager who produced the most entertaining, attack-minded football during my time as a supporter (since late 1990s) was Derek Adams.

When people describe him as negative or defensive, I feel like I must have spent the 2015/16 and 2017/18 seasons in an alternative universe.
I think people will always remember the fact that we were mostly a very ugly playing team when we won promotion in 2017. Many people said it was the least exciting promotion ever. And we were abysmal for the first half of 17/18. It was only when Carey, Lameiras and Taylor clicked, that we were suddenly entertaining. But we went back to being utter carp again in the relegation season. 15/16 we were alright though but fell short at the last hurdle and we were woeful at Wembley.

Reactions: Rowlypilgrim

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
People who moaned pre season about data analytics helping to identify transfer targets need to accept that football isn’t the same game they were watching growing up.
I have to admit I was a bit of a dinosaur 4 or 5 years ago but am pleased to say I am down wiv the kids now.

Reactions: Kevb77