What ‘unpopular opinion’ do you have? | Page 32 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What ‘unpopular opinion’ do you have?

Dec 30, 2020
I was going to post one on women's football too, the only problem I have with it is that it's just more focus on the big/greedy six clubs. As the top women's clubs are largely the same as the men.

I can accept Man City getting 10x more coverage than Argyle, but I find it slightly hard to take if their women's team also now get more coverage and League One is ranked below WSL in the pecking order... despite a fraction of the attendances/quality/interest etc etc.

To be fair, it's likely that the BBC is pushing it more purely because it has the rights, and it doesn't currently for the Football League.

i can sort of see the rationale for this though because there’s fairly obvious growth potential for women’s football and arguably a moral obligation to boost it given the way it was suppressed in the past.

Conversely, there’s no need or justification for promoting lower league men’s football. It’s been well established for decades and while many people watch it, they’re not really interested beyond their own team.

Personally (and this may be another unpopular opinion) I’ve couldn’t care less about any lower league game that doesn’t affect Argyle. I think I’ve literally never watched one on TV and haven’t been to a live one for years. I’d struggle to name more than a dozen or so football league players excluding ones with connections to Argyle and am only dimly aware of what clubs are in the championship or league 2.

I’m not into women’s football either but if Argyle had a women’s team that made it onto TV i might take a passing interest. If this is true of Man U or Arsenal or Chelsea fans it probably equates to a higher level of engagement than something like Mansfield v Middlesbrough in the men’s game where the small number of people that give a flying one about the teams involved will mostly be at the stadium.

Apr 30, 2006
My unpopular opinion - even the worst ref we've ever seen at Argyle is way better than 99% of us on here (and I know there have been some true stinker of performances).

I just think refereeing is an exceptionally difficult job and I admire anyone who puts themselves in the middle of dealing with sly players, furious managers and 20,000 people yelling obscenities at you (often when you're getting in right!).

Apr 30, 2011
For what it’s worth I tend to agree. For me It hasn’t the immediate connection with Argyle that perhaps it should.

Despite having listened to it for decades the first thing I think of is American Marine marching bands and Majorettes.

That being said I’m not sure what I would suggest in its place
Janner song

Sep 6, 2006
i can sort of see the rationale for this though because there’s fairly obvious growth potential for women’s football and arguably a moral obligation to boost it given the way it was suppressed in the past.

Conversely, there’s no need or justification for promoting lower league men’s football. It’s been well established for decades and while many people watch it, they’re not really interested beyond their own team.

Personally (and this may be another unpopular opinion) I’ve couldn’t care less about any lower league game that doesn’t affect Argyle. I think I’ve literally never watched one on TV and haven’t been to a live one for years. I’d struggle to name more than a dozen or so football league players excluding ones with connections to Argyle and am only dimly aware of what clubs are in the championship or league 2.

I’m not into women’s football either but if Argyle had a women’s team that made it onto TV i might take a passing interest. If this is true of Man U or Arsenal or Chelsea fans it probably equates to a higher level of engagement than something like Mansfield v Middlesbrough in the men’s game where the small number of people that give a flying one about the teams involved will mostly be at the stadium.
Havent you just contradicted your own argument? The fact there is so little coverage of L.1 and 2 means you are not familiar with it and cant name players despite many more watching it than the rubbish WPL. I find it insulting to the intelligence that they keep trying to plug it when anybody understanding football knows it is very low quality.

Reactions: greenpig27
Dec 30, 2020
Havent you just contradicted your own argument? The fact there is so little coverage of L.1 and 2 means you are not familiar with it and cant name players despite many more watching it than the rubbish WPL. I find it insulting to the intelligence that they keep trying to plug it when anybody understanding football knows it is very low quality.

No, you've missed the point - the reason I don't know much about the football league isn't that there's not enough coverage, it's that, apart from Argyle, I'm completely uninterested. They could broadcast it 24/7 on all major TV networks and aside from the Argyle-related content, I wouldn't pay any attention. I think this is probably true of most lower league football fans (swapping Argyle for their team) and almost all supporters of the big Premier League clubs (ie the overwhelming majority of football fans).

On women's football, as I said, I'm not much interested in that either. I was just offering a theory as to why it isn't completely unreasonable that it gets a generous profile relative to the lower league clubs in the men's game.