VAR to be used at World Cup | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

VAR to be used at World Cup

Sep 6, 2006
with-menace":32w591jm said:
Lousy_Pint":32w591jm said:
Or... just not use it!
I still can't get over the penalty Serbia weren't given. More than likely they would be through now if it had. If the ref really didn't see it (which I can't believe), then it is even more incredible that the var officials didn't alert him, so what is the point?
I know it's been utterly pathetic the way referees demand replays on the most innocuous incident yet apparently not deem it worthy when the whole world can see rugby tackles flying in left right and centre. The whole things nonsense on stilts. Really hope,they get rid of this unnecessary farce.
Not to mention it's yet another example of one set of rules for one ... this can never be used anywhere other than the very highest level while 99% of the world game will never be able to use it. I thought the rules applied across the board? Seems not any more.

Incredible that you can't see the benefits and the injustices it eliminates. Not every time but 9 out of 10.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
with-menace":344d3gda said:
Lousy_Pint":344d3gda said:
Or... just not use it!
I still can't get over the penalty Serbia weren't given. More than likely they would be through now if it had. If the ref really didn't see it (which I can't believe), then it is even more incredible that the var officials didn't alert him, so what is the point?
I know it's been utterly pathetic the way referees demand replays on the most innocuous incident yet apparently not deem it worthy when the whole world can see rugby tackles flying in left right and centre. The whole things nonsense on stilts. Really hope,they get rid of this unnecessary farce.
Not to mention it's yet another example of one set of rules for one ... this can never be used anywhere other than the very highest level while 99% of the world game will never be able to use it. I thought the rules applied across the board? Seems not any more.

No rules have been changed. The referee's decision is still final. On matters of fact such as offside he takes advice from an assistant and where it is subjective opinion he goes and looks at a screen where he reviews his own decision and there are no rules saying it can only be used at the higher levels of the game.

Jul 25, 2011
Lundan Cabbie":2mozsj7l said:
with-menace":2mozsj7l said:
Lousy_Pint":2mozsj7l said:
Or... just not use it!

No rules have been changed. The referee's decision is still final. On matters of fact such as offside he takes advice from an assistant and where it is subjective opinion he goes and looks at a screen where he reviews his own decision and there are no rules saying it can only be used at the higher levels of the game.
The use of VAR was not permitted before it is now. So unless you want to make an irrelevant pedantic issue of it it’s a rule change or perhaps you’d like to call it something else. As for lower leagues using it I never suggested they weren’t allowed but merely pointed out the impractical and clearly ( to anyone who knows the game ) unaffordable. It’s like saying ‘you don’t need to have a driving license as long as you can afford a self driving tesla’ basically it’s your fault if you can’t afford what some on here consider an essential augmentation of how the game is officiated... but only if your big and important.
Every other standard has to be unwaveringly adhered to across the board, why is technology given special treatment?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Okay, if you put it like that, rules have changed but they have changed across the board. No level of football has been omitted but of course it is going to come down to finance.

That's not unusual in sport though. Go down to Mount Wise and watch the cricket. There will be no video appeals there. Or pop over to see Albion. No video referee will be assisting there. In fact in Rugby Union you might only get a video ref if the game is televised.

Next season is going to see VAR in the EFL Cup but only on Premier League grounds. Some may say that isn't a level playing field and to some extent I would agree but we need to give this our best shot whilst it is still experimental, in this country at least.

Sep 6, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":1erw5pry said:
Okay, if you put it like that, rules have changed but they have changed across the board. No level of football has been omitted but of course it is going to come down to finance.

That's not unusual in sport though. Go down to Mount Wise and watch the cricket. There will be no video appeals there. Or pop over to see Albion. No video referee will be assisting there. In fact in Rugby Union you might only get a video ref if the game is televised.

Next season is going to see VAR in the EFL Cup but only on Premier League grounds. Some may say that isn't a level playing field and to some extent I would agree but we need to give this our best shot whilst it is still experimental, in this country at least.

Agreed. Very silly point by Menace that you can't have it in Sunday pub football therefore you shouldn't have it in games of completely different magnitude.

Jul 25, 2011
Lundan Cabbie":232310m1 said:

No problem with experimenting , I remember when the rule makers thought that ‘golden goals’ were the future but we’re thankfully deemed to be a backwards step and universally unpopular largely because of weird and awkward termination of play. Hopefully VAR will be brushed aside in a similar fashion. Personally I don’t care if it gets some calls right, it’s turned matches in farcical, stop, start technicality bickering fest. This is just my opinion of course, I know some on here struggle with that concept but that’s what it is.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
with-menace":bmwnw0mv said:
Lundan Cabbie":bmwnw0mv said:

No problem with experimenting , I remember when the rule makers thought that ‘golden goals’ were the future but we’re thankfully deemed to be a backwards step and universally unpopular largely because of weird and awkward termination of play. Hopefully VAR will be brushed aside in a similar fashion. Personally I don’t care if it gets some calls right, it’s turned matches in farcical, stop, start technicality bickering fest. This is just my opinion of course, I know some on here struggle with that concept but that’s what it is.

I think it is going to be here to stay in one form or another.

They should have looked for other options on the Golden Goal like they are with VAR. The best I saw was.... you play extra time but the LAST goal is the golden goal if it remains a draw after 120 mins even if the last goal was in the 90 minutes. That way one of the teams was always behind and would have to go for it. The only problem was if it was 0-0 aet but that would be the only time you'd need penalties.

Sep 6, 2006
with-menace":3a7ypqan said:
Lundan Cabbie":3a7ypqan said:

This guy must be obviously watching a completely different tournament. Best World Cup for a long time. VAR has probably got something to do with that e.g less diving for penalties but even if it hasn't it certainly has not spoilt it. But some people just can't move with the times or are too stubborn to see it.

Jul 25, 2011
Balham_Green":1lqmmn6d said:
with-menace":1lqmmn6d said:
Lundan Cabbie":1lqmmn6d said:

This guy must be obviously watching a completely different tournament. Best World Cup for a long time. VAR has probably got something to do with that e.g less diving for penalties but even if it hasn't it certainly has not spoilt it. But some people just can't move with the times or are too stubborn to see it.
Or just god for forbid have their own opinion, are you really that narrow minded that you can't comprehend that? How incredibly arrogant of you to continuously have spiteful little digs because someone dare not agree with you.
So I'm 'stubborn' because I have my own view? What a warped reality you must exist in.
It has been a brilliant World Cup in spite of VAR not BECAUSE of it although I'm not so bitter and unhinged as to be unable to comprehend different opinions like a some vile spoilt brat.
If you want to keep digging you'll get a dig back. So Id cease with this weird obsession where you have to keep making snide, spiteful pathetic attacks because you're too feeble to accept a different view to yourself. Grow up.

A

andyr1963

with-menace":1uxuh6r4 said:
Balham_Green":1uxuh6r4 said:
with-menace":1uxuh6r4 said:
Lundan Cabbie":1uxuh6r4 said:

Or just god for forbid have their own opinion, are you really that narrow minded that you can't comprehend that? How incredibly arrogant of you to continuously have spiteful little digs because someone dare not agree with you.
So I'm 'stubborn' because I have my own view? What a warped reality you must exist in.
It has been a brilliant World Cup in spite of VAR not BECAUSE of it although I'm not so bitter and unhinged as to be unable to comprehend different opinions like a some vile spoilt brat.
If you want to keep digging you'll get a dig back. So Id cease with this weird obsession where you have to keep making snide, spiteful pathetic attacks because you're too feeble to accept a different view to yourself. Grow up.

Read it a couple of times now and reckon you're the one who needs to "Grow up". Coming across as a silly little boy.

Back on topic, am I the only one waiting for VAR to be ignored when it comes to a HUGE decision that goes against the team playing Russia. (Think Italy / Spain against South Korea in 2002)

Jul 25, 2011
andyr1963":21cdsj63 said:
with-menace":21cdsj63 said:
Balham_Green":21cdsj63 said:
with-menace":21cdsj63 said:
Lundan Cabbie":21cdsj63 said:

Read it a couple of times now and reckon you're the one who needs to "Grow up". Coming across as a silly little boy.

Back on topic, am I the only one waiting for VAR to be ignored when it comes to a HUGE decision that goes against the team playing Russia. (Think Italy / Spain against South Korea in 2002)
And who the hell are you? His mother? I'd of thought he was big enough to fight his own battles.
I don't know who you are I don't want to,I've never spoken to you and frankly I don't care to.
'Silly little boy' once again throwing pathetic insults because in my opinion I don't particularly care for VAR? Perhaps you should read through the thread where on numerous occasions he's made nasty little comments and persistently attacked me despite me not even responding to his drivel ,if you can't help but act like an imbecile don't talk to me ok. This is a forum to discuss football not a platform for you to display your nasty ignorant inability to process opposing views.

A

andyr1963

with-menace":2g7cprtk said:
andyr1963":2g7cprtk said:
Balham_Green":2g7cprtk said:
Lundan Cabbie":2g7cprtk said:

And who the hell are you? His mother? I'd of thought he was big enough to fight his own battles.
I don't know who you are I don't want to,I've never spoken to you and frankly I don't care to.
'Silly little boy' once again throwing pathetic insults because in my opinion I don't particularly care for VAR? Perhaps you should read through the thread where on numerous occasions he's made nasty little comments and persistently attacked me despite me not even responding to his drivel ,if you can't help but act like an imbecile don't talk to me ok. This is a forum to discuss football not a platform for you to display your nasty ignorant inability to process opposing views.

:funny:

Jul 25, 2011
This guy must be obviously watching a completely different tournament. Best World Cup for a long time. VAR has probably got something to do with that e.g less diving for penalties but even if it hasn't it certainly has not spoilt it. But some people just can't move with the times or are too stubborn to see it.[/quote]
If you want to keep digging you'll get a dig back. So Id cease with this weird obsession where you have to keep making snide, spiteful pathetic attacks because you're too feeble to accept a different view to yourself. Grow up.[/quote]

Back on topic, am I the only one waiting for VAR to be ignored when it comes to a HUGE decision that goes against the team playing Russia. (Think Italy / Spain against South Korea in 2002)[/quote]

:funny:

I'm really not surprised you think that's a joke.

Sep 6, 2006
He cant even see how ridiculous he is making himself look with statements like that. A certain lack of insight. :facepalm: