VAR to be used at World Cup | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

VAR to be used at World Cup

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
The limitations of the use of VAR did throw up a frustrating sirltuation in the England v Belgium game on Saturday.

There was a possible/likely foul on an England player just outside the box in what would have been a good goal scoring position. The referee waved play-on and Belgium counter attacked, their eventual attempt on goal going wide for an England goal kick.

Had that shot gone in then VAR would have reviewed their goal and if the resulting review determined that there was a foul in the build up, the goal would have been disallowed and the game restarted with a free kick to England on the edge of the Belgium penalty area.

That feels wrong in my opinion. Free kicks around the box should be included but where do you draw the line? We surely can’t have every tackle being reviewed.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Video evidence works in cricket and tennis because it is used to judge objective truth accepting that it is truth as determined by some set technological system (ball-tracking, hot spot, ultra edge etc.). The technology is set up to provide a definitive decision within an agreed level of uncertainty and following a well-defined process (for example, when there is a review in cricket the fourth umpire follows a clear step-by-step process). It also seems to work well for judging whether the ball has crossed the goal-line in football. It ought to be able to work similarly proficiently for judging offside decisions as you can define what does or doesn't constitute offside in video footage and so remove the subjective element.

I don't think video evidence is ever going to work so well for subjective decisions - was it a foul? was it deliberate handball? did the catch carry? and so I think that it would be better if it was not used in this way during matches. If it IS to be used like this then I think it should be up to the referee himself to decide whether he to look at video footage and then either he should do this before making his decision, or a designated official should do so and THEY should make the decision (as happens in rugby for try decisions I think).

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
mervyn":2n0881l4 said:
I can’t pretend to have thought this through fully, but I would like to see VAR used in some way, after each match, to shame those players who have dived or feigned injury to try and gain an unfair advantage. Would love to see this stamped out.

I was going to put something similar at the end of my post but started thinking about how such a system might be seen as undermining referees etc. But I do think it would pretty quickly change behaviour on the pitch.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
The Doctor":2g9473il said:
mervyn":2g9473il said:
I can’t pretend to have thought this through fully, but I would like to see VAR used in some way, after each match, to shame those players who have dived or feigned injury to try and gain an unfair advantage. Would love to see this stamped out.

I was going to put something similar at the end of my post but started thinking about how such a system might be seen as undermining referees etc. But I do think it would pretty quickly change behaviour on the pitch.

TV already highlights behaviour like this but do the players show any shame? In short, they don't.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Lundan Cabbie":1x25ei6x said:
The Doctor":1x25ei6x said:
mervyn":1x25ei6x said:

TV already highlights behaviour like this but do the players show any shame? In short, they don't.

No direct impact on their club. Suspensions would change things.

Super horns

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 26, 2008
The pundits when it's an English player or one they like just call it making the most of it or trying to gain an advantage ..