VAR to be used at World Cup | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

VAR to be used at World Cup

Sep 6, 2006
with-menace":2n9fjosg said:
Ham Green":2n9fjosg said:
with-menace":2n9fjosg said:
Can't you accept I just happen to hold a different view ?

Congratulations, you've just discovered Balham Green.

Don't even try and have a meaningful conversation with him. Just let him hit you with his little whine and ignore it.
Thanks I know how to deal with narcissistic sociopaths. Ignore them.

Not doing very well with that either are you?

May 22, 2006
Well I think the Portugal-Iran game taught us one thing (as if we didn't know already):

VAR is only as good as the people using it. When four referees can't tell the difference between handball and ball-to-hand, it doesn't matter how much whistles and bells you have.

May 11, 2017
Great Yarmouth
I was watching Portugal v Iran and There should be a 3 time rule for each team governed by the referee as the players from both teams were going upto the referee and just complaining, getting in his face and just being like s****. Terrible terrible terrible tonight. A spectacle for all the wrong reasons and a very poor ref. Whoever made the decision for him to be at the world cup needs to sacked.

Never get riled up usually but it was just a joke tonight.

Sep 6, 2006
Ham Green":1pg6gtq5 said:
Well I think the Portugal-Iran game taught us one thing (as if we didn't know already):

VAR is only as good as the people using it. When four referees can't tell the difference between handball and ball-to-hand, it doesn't matter how much whistles and bells you have.

True. Was watching Spain. Think ref got decision right originally ?

Super horns

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 26, 2008
Ham Green":30wco92y said:

We see it week in week out in the season.

What one ref thinks is handball won't be given by another.

There will be an incident tomorrow exactly the same probably and no penalty will occur....

I like the idea of VAR but clearly its still inconsistent and of course we have players asking for it to be used at will without punishment - just like general dissent.

Sep 6, 2006
WFC4EVER":3v17wbm9 said:
Ham Green":3v17wbm9 said:

We see it week in week out in the season.

What one ref thinks is handball won't be given by another.

There will be an incident tomorrow exactly the same probably and no penalty will occur....

I like the idea of VAR but clearly its still inconsistent and of course we have players asking for it to be used at will without punishment - just like general dissent.

I don't see why asking for VAR should be punished.

Aug 5, 2015
It’s like asking the ref to book or send off a player. It shouldn’t happen. Just like it’s wrong to mob the ref over a decision it’s wrong to mob the ref to demand a review by VAR.

FIFA need to explain in words of one syllable how VAR works and that from now on any player demanding a VAR review will be booked. Otherwise the kind of farce we saw tonight will continue.

Sep 6, 2006
Kentishgreen":rrndkkay said:
It’s like asking the ref to book or send off a player. It shouldn’t happen. Just like it’s wrong to mob the ref over a decision it’s wrong to mob the ref to demand a review by VAR.

FIFA need to explain in words of one syllable how VAR works and that from now on any player demanding a VAR review will be booked. Otherwise the kind of farce we saw tonight will continue.

To 'mob' the ref is wrong I agree but just to ask for the use of technology is perfectly understandable. Different to asking for a yellow card when you are trying to get another player in trouble.

Jul 3, 2013
The Irony, something that creates more controversy than what it is there to eradicate. Load of old ball bags!

Super horns

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 26, 2008
Balham_Green":bn1w0zjs said:

Well maybe not if its really obvious but you can see if players had appeals like they do for cricket/tennis etc they'd be trying to use one for even the most minor of decisions like a throw in on the half way line.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Surrounding the ref and calling for VAR to be used needs to be stamped out early to make sure it doesn’t become a tool for teams to slow and disrupt the game. Teams like Wycombe will relish the potential of VAR to be used for their benefit.

Sep 6, 2006
GreenThing":1r77zp5o said:
Surrounding the ref and calling for VAR to be used needs to be stamped out early to make sure it doesn’t become a tool for teams to slow and disrupt the game. Teams like Wycombe will relish the potential of VAR to be used for their benefit.

I don't get that. Surely the ref just has to ignore it, wave them away if he is strong enough.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
In my opinion, any player whose words or gestures are intending to tell the referee how he should be doing his job is guilty of discent for which the punishment is a caution.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
The BIG problem with it is that it halts the natural flow of the game. So why not restrict its use to when the game stops anyway (like a ‘goal’ that may or may not have been offside) – or when the ref immediately stops the game to ASK for it (like a penalty shout he’s not sure of). This business where the game carries on for minutes THEN is stopped and reviewed is a complete nonsense. The ref suddenly getting a message in his ear asking him to review an incident minutes ago – which he may well not change anyway is ludicrous. It’s only a matter of time before a goal is scored after a delayed-VAR incident …... in which case both teams could be stood around waiting to see which one of them gets given the goal ……….. or what about another VAR incident soon after the delayed first VAR? …or a double-delayed-VAR plus another goal? It’s just plain silly.

No - just scale it back and only to be used occasionally at the sole discretion of the ref when the game stops – or HE immediately stops it. Anything else is just BS IMO.

Nov 18, 2011
WFC4EVER":a4zdtfd2 said:
Balham_Green":a4zdtfd2 said:

Well maybe not if its really obvious but you can see if players had appeals like they do for cricket/tennis etc they'd be trying to use one for even the most minor of decisions like a throw in on the half way line.

Well you only have a limited number of appeals in cricket and tennis so it isn't used all the time. Also they're both sports with many more natural pauses so the appeals aren't so disruptive.

If I had my way I'd take a leaf from those sports and give each team 1 VAR appeal per half, this would be the only use of VAR. It's up to the manager to call for the appeal, if it's successful you get your appeal back, if not then it's gone. Hopefully this will mean that players will harangue their own manager, not the ref.

Hell maybe even give the managers a flag like in American Football to throw onto the pitch!