VAR to be used at World Cup | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

VAR to be used at World Cup

Jan 2, 2005
Plymouth
It is never going to be perfect because the laws of the game allow grey areas. Who knows what consists of a handball these days, some people still mention ball to hand which is no longer used (I think). Likewise when is a player active / inactive for an offside (I believe if you are on the pitch you are active)

Cricket and tennis make it very clear. For an lbw if it is hitting the wicket it is out, if it is missing its not out, too close to call means original decision stands. Likewise tennis, the ball is either touching the line or it isn't

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Joe Totale":2yotchaf said:
WFC4EVER":2yotchaf said:
Balham_Green":2yotchaf said:
I don't see why asking for VAR should be punished.

Well maybe not if its really obvious but you can see if players had appeals like they do for cricket/tennis etc they'd be trying to use one for even the most minor of decisions like a throw in on the half way line.

Well you only have a limited number of appeals in cricket and tennis so it isn't used all the time. Also they're both sports with many more natural pauses so the appeals aren't so disruptive.

If I had my way I'd take a leaf from those sports and give each team 1 VAR appeal per half, this would be the only use of VAR. It's up to the manager to call for the appeal, if it's successful you get your appeal back, if not then it's gone. Hopefully this will mean that players will harangue their own manager, not the ref.

Hell maybe even give the managers a flag like in American Football to throw onto the pitch!

That's not one appeal per half then. How much time is going to have to be added on for all these appeals each half?

The idea is to get decisions right. That is ALL decisions, even those after a team has no more appeals. If it is only going to mean that some decisions are corrected, they might as well not bother at all.

Jul 25, 2011
As anything new is considered progression how about bringing in four 15 minute quarters with time outs? That way all the VAR penalties won't mess with the tv schedule.
It's already been discussed at FIFA :?

Sep 6, 2006
with-menace":7mpengkt said:
39th games in USA and china, , winter breaks, white footballs,women voting.
Where did it all go wrong :D

Perhaps when you were born. How about bringing back barging the keeper in to the net, sodden leather balls, waterlogged pitches, no substitutes

Balham_Green":1p34wy44 said:
with-menace":1p34wy44 said:
39th games in USA and china, , winter breaks, white footballs,women voting.
Where did it all go wrong :D

Perhaps when you were born. How about bringing back barging the keeper in to the net, sodden leather balls, waterlogged pitches, no substitutes

I need no more. Balham Green (not the original BG, may I point out) clearly has zero sense of humour. Can someone please take him out for a beer and try to cheer him up?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
with-menace":33h7hxu4 said:
As anything new is considered progression how about bringing in four 15 minute quarters with time outs? That way all the VAR penalties won't mess with the tv schedule.
It's already been discussed at FIFA :?

With a fixed time clock so that the ref stops the clock, resets it back if necessary? you know like a flag in American football. So if he uses VAR he stops the (visible) clock and resets the time to when the incident happened on his return? Then no more disputes about extra extra time? :think:

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Or... just not use it!
I still can't get over the penalty Serbia weren't given. More than likely they would be through now if it had. If the ref really didn't see it (which I can't believe), then it is even more incredible that the var officials didn't alert him, so what is the point?

Sep 6, 2006
Lousy_Pint":1gqcsog1 said:
Or... just not use it!
I still can't get over the penalty Serbia weren't given. More than likely they would be through now if it had. If the ref really didn't see it (which I can't believe), then it is even more incredible that the var officials didn't alert him, so what is the point?

So because they got it wrong once means it shouldn't be used at all right? :crazy: Makes a lot of sense. Not. A lot more decisions are now correct. Germany could still be in the tournament if it were not for VAR!

Oct 24, 2010
You're talking sense Balham - keep it up. I've become a big fan of VAR it gets far more right than it gets wrong and the drama it brings as it did in the Korea,Germany game is brilliant.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I think the biggest problem with VAR is that the media highlight it at every opportunity and discuss it more than the actual football. It’s time for them to stop making it a big issue.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
It's just saved the Colombians with the ref changing his mind after viewing it.

Super horns

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 26, 2008
I wonder how long it will be before a manager in the Premier league/football league complain that it isn't in place next season?

Man U don't get a penalty for example that should be and Jose will be in full rant mode!

Jul 25, 2011
Lousy_Pint":kbfxtyj0 said:
Or... just not use it!
I know it's been utterly pathetic the way referees demand replays on the most innocuous incident yet apparently not deem it worthy when the whole world can see rugby tackles flying in left right and centre. The whole things nonsense on stilts. Really hope,they get rid of this unnecessary farce.
Not to mention it's yet another example of one set of rules for one ... this can never be used anywhere other than the very highest level while 99% of the world game will never be able to use it. I thought the rules applied across the board? Seems not any more.