Simon Hallett's explanation of yesterday's investment news. | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Simon Hallett's explanation of yesterday's investment news.

Sep 3, 2011
Very surprised the cost of the grandstand remedial works are not the responsibility of the architect and/or the contractors. It is plainly not fit

Where did you get the 40%/50% from?
About £12 million total I would think after the mistakes have been rectified. Which is very expensive. Unless they delay and wait until they can afford a state of the art Grandstand.

Sep 3, 2011
And hopefully will continue to do so.

A blot on the football map.
It cost them a pittance. Argyle have spent a fortune and what's the result? Okay, better corporate facilities but restricted usage of the upper tier with cramped seating for some with a restricted view for some and uncovered seating in the majority of the lower tier

Jan 22, 2016
About £12 million total I would think after the mistakes have been rectified. Which is very expensive. Unless they delay and wait until they can afford a state of the art Grandstand.
With your obvious extensive knowledge, how much would our state of the art grandstand have cost us?

Sep 3, 2011
With your obvious extensive knowledge, how much would our state of the art grandstand have cost us?
£18 million i would imagine. Yes, a £6 million odd shortfall but a 50 year cure. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I believe it was £22m, but quite rightly it was thought that it was far too much for our club to afford at the time.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
An extra £6m we didn’t have @Mr Gillingham, though I reckon it would have been way more than just £6m (Edit… you’re now saying 10m).

You said it‘s a white elephant in a previous post, which is way off the mark as the opposite is true. The new grandstand has enabled a lot of the good that’s happened at Argyle in the past few years. Lowe and Schumacher wouldn’t have come without it, we wouldn’t have had increased revenue without it, the NHS wouldn’t have used Home Park, we almost certainly wouldn‘t be getting exciting investors on board, the ground would still resemble a 1950s relic that new players and fans would be horrified by.

The positives WAY outweigh the negatives, and the negatives are being addressed. It’s not ideal but it’s really not that bad.

Sep 3, 2011
An extra £6m we didn’t have @Mr Gillingham, though I reckon it would have been way more than just £6m (Edit… you’re now saying 10m).

You said it‘s a white elephant in a previous post, which is way off the mark as the opposite is true. The new grandstand has enabled a lot of the good that’s happened at Argyle in the past few years. Lowe and Schumacher wouldn’t have come without it, we wouldn’t have had increased revenue without it, the NHS wouldn’t have used Home Park, we almost certainly wouldn‘t be getting exciting investors on board, the ground would still resemble a 1950s relic that new players and fans would be horrified by.

The positives WAY outweigh the negatives, and the negatives are being addressed. It’s not ideal but it’s really not that bad.
I agreed to disagree on £20 million. So an extra £8 million. I stated on an earlier post Argyle have better corporate facilities but it could have been so much better. I can't see current Grandstand will last 50 years, pretty much like myself.

Jan 27, 2012
I believe it was £22m, but quite rightly it was thought that it was far too much for our club to afford at the time.

I think the idea was for the club to sell land for commercial development in order to help fund the grandstand. This was actively supported by the Council and, if I remember correctly, they were also going to contribute something. The rest of the funds would be a business loan. At the time, this appeared to be viable.

But as soon as the Council sold Home Park to the football club, Kagami, Todd, Gardner and other vultures quickly arrrived. The land that was meant to fund the stadium ended up in one of their many companies and was effectively stolen from the football club. Some of this land may now be owned by James Brent, but if he ever develops the site it wont be helping to fund a new granstand anymore.

So at one point in time (around 2008/2009) a brand new grandstand seemed feasible.

Reactions: Mr Gillingham

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
And hopefully the awful looking structure will be knocked down one day and a brand new purpose built one will arrive.
Polish a t*** it's still a t***.
It's a lot of money of course to build such a thing but if you're ever serious about moving us on and upwards and want good players in the Championship playing for us and if the stadium is what they look for then you need better than what we have!
No one needs agree, but I've always thought it looked awful and from angles outside it still looks awful, inside it's ok..... just not done properly recently!

Jul 27, 2021
Do players really care about what the grandstand looks like? Dollar is all that matters . Get a grip ffs.

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
Do players really care about what the grandstand looks like? Dollar is all that matters . Get a grip ffs.
Probably not about what it looks like but they do care about the facility inside it for them and their families. The players’ lounge now is a vast improvement on what they had before.

Reactions: Drake

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
From such a positive thread we return to the same old chestnut. Didn't see any of the usual protagonists offering the extra cash to built a new stand at the time and still don't.

Reactions: Jannerz