Simon Hallett's explanation of yesterday's investment news. | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Simon Hallett's explanation of yesterday's investment news.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I repeat what I've said a few times now, we had a meeting in Stoke in August 2011, we were told by JB it was less likely we would survive.

That meeting we discussed what league we would end up in, I think the most optimistic outcome was the Bostick League.

Terrifying time, but my signature says it all I reckon.

Under SH, we're onwards and upwards.

Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
I repeat what I've said a few times now, we had a meeting in Stoke in August 2011, we were told by JB it was less likely we would survive.

That meeting we discussed what league we would end up in, I think the most optimistic outcome was the Bostick League.

Terrifying time, but my signature says it all I reckon.

Under SH, we're onwards and upwards.
Exactly right. Enjoy the sunshine days we are having as we've had more than our fair share of rain filled dark stormy days.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff
Sep 3, 2011
Aside from the fact, Brent and the Club at the time did what they could afford to do, and remembering Simon only came onboard late into the project. If the money had been available how much longer would it have taken to level the ground and build a whole new stand with corners? Could the Club have handled the further loss of revenues? All hypothetical questions only the bean counters at the Club could answer I suspect. coyg
A demolition job would surely have been quicker than the way the Grandstand was dismantled. As for loss of revenues as it turned the country was in and out of lockdowns so they would have got away with it. Obviously no one could have ever predicted that. I was in favour of getting the corners done first. There is a huge amount of room in the BP corner for corporate and having the dressing rooms in the Devonport corner would have been special.

Sep 3, 2011
We are in an amazing place. For all the nay-sayers, may I remind you where we were just 11 short years ago...

THE PLYMOUTH ARGYLE SAGA​

• 4 March 2011 - directors appoint P&A Partnership as administrators
  • 14 March - confirmation of "a number of offers" for the club
  • 6 May - creditors agree deal to reduce the club's debt
  • 5 July - deal with Bishop International consortium announced
  • 12 July - squad accept deferral of wages for eighth successive month
  • 13 July - talks begin with Football League about proposed takeover
  • 4 August - administrators urge consortium to submit funds for wages in time for start of season on 6 August
  • 5 August - administrators announce deal will be done "next week"
  • 10 August - administrators take Bishop International to court in failed bid to secure cash for wages
  • 26 August - administrator approves takeover
  • 1 September - players threaten to go on strike after not being paid
  • 8 September - Football League defers decision on Bishop International bid
  • 15 September - players defer wages for 11 days
  • 28 September - James Brent agrees takeover of Plymouth
  • 6 October - Football League bans Argyle from signing loan players
  • 11 October - PFA agrees to wage repayment deal
  • 13 October - James Brent meets the Football League
  • 14 October - administrators threaten to pull out after receiving threats
  • 18 October - Council agrees deal to buy Home Park for £1.6m
  • 28 October - James Brent takeover approved

Enjoy the good times now - we deserve it! :D
We were very fortunate that during austerity the council pumped £1.6 million to buy HP

Reactions: Penmaster

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
How close were we to Bishop international 🤬

Indeed. We never did find out who actually was behind Bishop International.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
We had our suspicions though, but the libel law held us back.

Ian dug and dug and dug.

Office address was Barnsley from memory.

Apr 1, 2009
Also a quality training ground makes us more attractive to quality players. Not just because it's their office and where they will spend most of their time as an Argyle player, but because it shows them the club is serious and going places. A quality training ground is also more equipped with the tools and facilities they need to improve as footballers.

And very marginal gains but maybe if it's on the A38 and slightly more accessible than going into Plymouth proper, that chips away 1-2% at the location issue. Or maybe it even has residential digs and family areas for wives and kids to stay in. Lots of benefits to better infrastructure that we probably haven't even thought of yet.
Living on the site of your work? On the whole not a good idea. People want, and usually need, to get away from work when they are not working. I really don't think providing residential areas on training grounds is a great idea.

It's not the first time you've voiced this idea about cutting the distance to away games by having a training ground by the A38, say Ivybridge. In practice most of the players will live in Plymouth, so will have to travel to the training ground before boarding the coach - so it doesn't reduce distance! Indeed, as they will have to travel to the training ground several times a week, you're probably increasing their overall travel.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Living on the site of your work? On the whole not a good idea. People want, and usually need, to get away from work when they are not working. I really don't think providing residential areas on training grounds is a great idea.

It's not the first time you've voiced this idea about cutting the distance to away games by having a training ground by the A38, say Ivybridge. In practice most of the players will live in Plymouth, so will have to travel to the training ground before boarding the coach - so it doesn't reduce distance! Indeed, as they will have to travel to the training ground several times a week, you're probably increasing their overall travel.

Didn’t mean living, just meant some sort of family space or overnight accommodation. Which could make long journeys more palatable, maybe it wouldn’t.

I’m not sure most players would live in Plymouth just as there’s no reason for a Burnley player to live in Burnley, though I have no idea. I know Danny Mayor lives nearer Exeter.

Just speculation, innit! Though realistically the training ground has to be outside Plymouth proper, and obviously it makes sense to be east rather than west of the city.

Sep 3, 2011
Didn’t mean living, just meant some sort of family space or overnight accommodation. Which could make long journeys more palatable, maybe it wouldn’t.

I’m not sure most players would live in Plymouth just as there’s no reason for a Burnley player to live in Burnley, though I have no idea. I know Danny Mayor lives nearer Exeter.

Just speculation, innit! Though realistically the training ground has to be outside Plymouth proper, and obviously it makes sense to be east rather than west of the city.
I remember when Luggy came back we visited a site in Saltash. It was on a hill and had power lines in the way, which at the time would have cost 10k per line to bury. That was over 10 years ago now. There is land out there and planning permission shouldn't be too difficult to obtain but you would be looking at near £10 million