Safe standing - Herald article | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Safe standing - Herald article

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
gaspargomez":wo71n2yt said:
People who stand up in Home Park are out of order and need to be made to sit down. The club are competely right to enforce this and have been too soft in the past. If they eject people who refuse then it may cause some initial disturbances but initially everyone will get the message. Its a particular problem in the Lyndhurst stand and if people can't behave themselves and respect others, they cant complain if the stewards approach them. Having people standing up has been very disruptive in the past and really stopped people's enjoyment of the game.

I know people stand at the back of the Devonport and it causes no problems. But unless the club formally designate this area as standing it may be hard for them to enforce standing in one part of the ground but not another.

Muppet says what?

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Cobi Budge":3c86qprg said:
I cringe every time I see someone compare a football match to going to the cinema.

Each a subset of no-doing-but-watching stuff, significant commonality therefore. Admittedly cinema isn't as awash with brand brainwashing as the sports business is.

But you should probably figure out why your view is so different from the majority. Just saying, pal.

Jan 27, 2012
IJN":25u8h4jr said:
Just as daft is those that moan, complain and refuse to move even when they know they're in a 'standing allowed' area.

In which areas of the ground are you allowed to stand ? Have Argyle formally announced this ?

Serious question.

Jul 13, 2006
gaspargomez":38ynpbe7 said:
IJN":38ynpbe7 said:
Just as daft is those that moan, complain and refuse to move even when they know they're in a 'standing allowed' area.

In which areas of the ground are you allowed to stand ? Have Argyle formally announced this ?

Serious question.
You're not "allowed" to stand in any area of the ground.
So therefore why are they "allowing" standing in the Devonport, but not other parts of the ground.
You can't pick and choose how you want to interpret a regulation and could leave yourself open to legal challenge.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
foreigner":1fat213i said:
gaspargomez":1fat213i said:
IJN":1fat213i said:

Serious question.
So therefore why are they "allowing" standing in the Devonport, but not other parts of the ground.
You can't pick and choose how you want to interpret a regulation and could leave yourself open to legal challenge.

Why not? We don't have speed cameras on every road but that doesn't mean the authorities allow you to break the speed limit where they aren't situated. It just means you're more likely to get away with it.

May 1, 2011
Gary_Wills":3sjd0b1l said:
Cobi Budge":3sjd0b1l said:
I cringe every time I see someone compare a football match to going to the cinema.

Each a subset of no-doing-but-watching stuff, significant commonality therefore. Admittedly cinema isn't as awash with brand brainwashing as the sports business is.

But you should probably figure out why your view is so different from the majority. Just saying, pal.

Cobi's view is certainly in keeping with the majority of supporters who attend football on a regular basis. If you want football to be like going to the cinema you can always stay home and watch it.

May 1, 2011
gaspargomez":2imot67e said:
IJN":2imot67e said:

Serious question.

Seriously be pragmatic not pedantic. That's what bigger clubs do who have large sections of fans standing. They probably have more standing than we do actually attending.

May 1, 2011
gaspargomez":neohw2gy said:
People who stand up in Home Park are out of order and need to be made to sit down. The club are competely right to enforce this and have been too soft in the past. If they eject people who refuse then it may cause some initial disturbances but initially everyone will get the message. Its a particular problem in the Lyndhurst stand and if people can't behave themselves and respect others, they cant complain if the stewards approach them. Having people standing up has been very disruptive in the past and really stopped people's enjoyment of the game.

I know people stand at the back of the Devonport and it causes no problems. But unless the club formally designate this area as standing it may be hard for them to enforce standing in one part of the ground but not another.

Plus I wish people would keep the noise down.

May 1, 2011
jimsing":1srljumc said:
Bristol Rich":1srljumc said:
Knarf Reprah":1srljumc said:
Rarely post on here because if the holier than thou attitude displayed, however, I must comment.....we spent 15 hours there and back to watch Argo at Grimsby. A chap in his seventies saw none of the game because the manchildren insisted on standing and blocking his view. At Charlton a young family had their children in tears because they couldn't see. I had to put one foot in the aisle to see and was told by a steward that I was blocking egress. When I remonstrated about the standing fans he token me to be quiet or I would be removed.
Yes the law is an ass, but proud of the above are you manchildren? Wait until it's your family

Frank at Home Park currently none of the points you raise would be an issue. The Ground is a 3rd empty and there is ample seating for all who want it with plenty of leg room, an unopposed view and even spare seats to put your coats.

In that case why don't those wishing to stand go there, and they will not impose themselves on those who want to watch the match whilst seated!!!

Those who were standing have had their space invaded not the other way round. How is this hard to understand?
If you don't like standing don't go on the back rows of Block 14. Surely anyone who attends Home Park regularly would know this?

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
The problem is that the authorities haven't the sense to reintroduce standing areas, so we go round and round. Who would be against having terraces back?

Jan 27, 2012
Whatever the rights and wrongs of standing being tolerated in the Devonport End, it should NOT be allowed in any part of the Lyndhurst because it ruins the game for other people who have spent good money on a ticket. If the stewards wont enforce this, then its time for people to start taking it up with the club management and ultimately the EFL.

Jul 13, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":3m9iw6do said:
foreigner":3m9iw6do said:
gaspargomez":3m9iw6do said:
IJN":3m9iw6do said:

Serious question.

Why not? We don't have speed cameras on every road but that doesn't mean the authorities allow you to break the speed limit where they aren't situated. It just means you're more likely to get away with it.

Because it's nonsense.
You're either an all seater stadium or you're not.
People have been standing in the Lyndhurst for longer than the Devonport. It was rocking in the Championship days and the Devonport only started standing when we under threat of admin and the Brighton lot rocked up to try and cajole them.

May 1, 2011
foreigner":1c9v8v94 said:
Lundan Cabbie":1c9v8v94 said:
foreigner":1c9v8v94 said:
gaspargomez":1c9v8v94 said:
IJN":1c9v8v94 said:

Serious question.

Because it's nonsense.
People have been standing in the Lyndhurst for longer than the Devonport. It was rocking in the Championship days and the Devonport only started standing when we under threat of admin and the Brighton lot rocked up to try and cajole them.

May 1, 2011
Bristol Rich":3omxucvn said:
foreigner":3omxucvn said:
Lundan Cabbie":3omxucvn said:
foreigner":3omxucvn said:
gaspargomez":3omxucvn said:
IJN":3omxucvn said:

Serious question.

Because it's nonsense.
People have been standing in the Lyndhurst for longer than the Devonport. It was rocking in the Championship days and the Devonport only started standing when we under threat of admin and the Brighton lot rocked up to try and cajole