Safe standing - Herald article | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Safe standing - Herald article

May 1, 2011
gaspargomez":7p8ejhlb said:
Whatever the rights and wrongs of standing being tolerated in the Devonport End, it should NOT be allowed in any part of the Lyndhurst because it ruins the game for other people who have spent good money on a ticket. If the stewards wont enforce this, then its time for people to start taking it up with the club management and ultimately the EFL.

This post is total crap. You anal bores are a big part of sanitizing Home Park. Go and watch the Raiders or Albion or stay and watch football on TV if you wish to destroy the atmosphere. You can sit for there and munch popcorn and hot dogs.

No one who wishes to sit at Home Park for 90 mins will have the view obstructed. The ground is a 3rd empty and it's literally 4 blocks in the Lyndhurst that stand. Gates are continually falling and you want to run to the authorities like a tell tale kid at school.

Your post sums up the small time mentality of the club. Go and watch any Championship or Premiership club and you could see more people standing than we get at a Home gate.

Take it up with the EFL, do you know now how pathetic that sounds? Are you a traffic warden in your professional life? Perhaps you will be happy with smaller crowds and no atmosphere because that's where we are heading.

May 16, 2016
When did the myth that standing - especially in Block 14 - generates this fabled crackling atmosphere, actually begin ?

The one thing that's been forgotten in this argument is that apart from the Devonport singing one of 3 songs at an ever increasing tempo, which quickly peters out, the Ground is generally quiet anyway.

All I've ever heard in recent years from Block 14, is a few Plimothian ooo's and arrr's , a half arsed attempt at something resembling a song or abuse at the Ref and selected opposition Players. If anything, the lack of atmosphere is down to those arguing for Standing being a little hypocritical.

Jan 27, 2012
Bristol Rich":focxfet7 said:
gaspargomez":focxfet7 said:
Whatever the rights and wrongs of standing being tolerated in the Devonport End, it should NOT be allowed in any part of the Lyndhurst because it ruins the game for other people who have spent good money on a ticket. If the stewards wont enforce this, then its time for people to start taking it up with the club management and ultimately the EFL.

This post is total crap. You anal bores are a big part of sanitizing Home Park. Go and watch the Raiders or Albion or stay and watch football on TV if you wish to destroy the atmosphere. You can sit for there and munch popcorn and hot dogs.

No one who wishes to sit at Home Park for 90 mins will have the view obstructed. The ground is a 3rd empty and it's literally 4 blocks in the Lyndhurst that stand. Gates are continually falling and you want to run to the authorities like a tell tale kid at school.

Your post sums up the small time mentality of the club. Go and watch any Championship or Premiership club and you could see more people standing than we get at a Home gate.

Take it up with the EFL, do you know now how pathetic that sounds? Are you a traffic warden in your professional life? Perhaps you will be happy with smaller crowds and no atmosphere because that's where we are heading.

You can take a different opinion from someone without throwing in insults, but I guess that's the nature of PASOTI.

Anyhow- I remember a home game last season (Portsmouth) where the view of huge swathes of people were being obstructed by people standing in the Lynhurst. This caused more people to stand, and so the problem exacerbates. It ruined the first half for a lot of people sitting in the affected blocks and those next to them, plently of them being elderly people and children. So the selfish actions of a few spoilt the game for everyone else. You're damn right I'd report it if someone kept standing up in front of me, especially if I had kids with me.

May 1, 2011
Guiri Green":1y7dy6xa said:
When did the myth that standing - especially in Block 14 - generates this fabled crackling atmosphere, actually begin ?

The one thing that's been forgotten in this argument is that apart from the Devonport singing one of 3 songs at an ever increasing tempo, which quickly peters out, the Ground is generally quiet anyway.

All I've ever heard in recent years from Block 14, is a few Plimothian ooo's and arrr's , a half arsed attempt at something resembling a song or abuse at the Ref and selected opposition Players. If anything, the lack of atmosphere is down to those arguing for Standing being a little hypocritical.

The lack of atmosphere is down to poor performances by a team rock bottom of the league and a building site ground that is a 3rd empty. Those of us who are there are nervous and expecting the worst.

May 16, 2016
Bristol Rich":1rpcrziu said:
Guiri Green":1rpcrziu said:

The lack of atmosphere is down to poor performances by a team rock bottom of the league and a building site ground that is a 3rd empty. Those of us who are there are nervous and expecting the worst.

So, standing hasn't improved the atmosphere. Easier to blame someone or something else ?

Oct 24, 2010
I don't see what you can do at a football match standing up that you can't do sat down and it makes no sense to me to pay for a seat and not use it but if people want to stand without inconveniencing those who want to sit then I don't see why they shouldn't. The problem isn't at Home Park it's at away games where the standers force sitters behind them to stand, which is very frustrating and must deter many, including myself from going to away games.
The sooner we have designated safe standing areas the better.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Truthfully the atmosphere's last season even when we were winning were never that fantastic, nor the year before and that was a promotion season.

With the occasional exception (Pompey play offs, Liverpool etc) Home Park has felt pretty soulless for a number of years.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
Cobi Budge":2mzak1dz said:
Truthfully the atmosphere's last season even when we were winning were never that fantastic, nor the year before and that was a promotion season.

With the occasional exception (Pompey play offs, Liverpool etc) Home Park has felt pretty soulless for a number of years.

Granted I haven't been a supporter for long but for my money THE best consistent atmosphere was during admin.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Liam Vercoe":32xi6yq2 said:
Cobi Budge":32xi6yq2 said:

Granted I haven't been a supporter for long but for my money THE best consistent atmosphere was during admin.

100% agree, think the lack of expectation helped, almost took the pressure off in a way and everyone just got behind the team.

esmer":3lr487tw said:
I don't see what you can do at a football match standing up that you can't do sat down and it makes no sense to me to pay for a seat and not use it but if people want to stand without inconveniencing those who want to sit then I don't see why they shouldn't. The problem isn't at Home Park it's at away games where the standers force sitters behind them to stand, which is very frustrating and must deter many, including myself from going to away games.
The sooner we have designated safe standing areas the better.

It's a fair point. I think for me it's the nervous energy of watching your team. Even when I'm watching on TV I prefer to stand. Plus, it's very difficult to shout abuse at the left-back (ours or theirs, it makes no difference!) when you're sitting down.

However......

Rules are rules. If the ground regs say you have to sit, then you have to sit. What needs to be done is for the club, the local authority and a fans representative to sit down (or stand up) together, and come to a compromise that suits all parties. The refusal to even try that is the frustrating part of me. Argyle always the last to react.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
I guess the modern game with sky's analysis has turned many into passive viewers. Rather than treating the attendance of a football match as an engaging experience, it seems some prefer it to be the same as watching it on Tele but with less angles and a bit of wind. Miserable buggers.

If your other halfs can drag you round John Lewis and the high street for several hours, I think you can proudly get behind your team and stand up for 45 minutes. I know plenty of elderly fans who still prefer to stand, the same as they've always done and to be portrayed as frail twigs ready to snap upon the first instance of a straightened knee is pretty insulting.

Quit overthinking what it is to be a football fan. You never know, you might actually enjoy it. Never let the football spoil a good day out at the football.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
SwimWithTheTide":v0ckbuei said:
I guess the modern game with sky's analysis has turned many into passive viewers. Rather than treating the attendance of a football match as an engaging experience, it seems some prefer it to be the same as watching it on Tele but with less angles and a bit of wind. Miserable buggers.

If your other halfs can drag you round John Lewis and the high street for several hours, I think you can proudly get behind your team and stand up for 45 minutes. I know plenty of elderly fans who still prefer to stand, the same as they've always done and to be portrayed as frail twigs ready to snap upon the first instance of a straightened knee is pretty insulting.

Quit overthinking what it is to be a football fan. You never know, you might actually enjoy it. Never let the football spoil a good day out at the football.

Well said.

Oct 16, 2016
Indeed, football oft gets in the way of a good day out

That’s the point for me, enjoy a couple jars before, meet and jangle with others at half time, debrief in the ale house afterward

90 mins in the middle sometimes is a tedious distraction