Safe standing - Herald article | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Safe standing - Herald article

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
This is all the result of a combination of the club not thinking to inform those moving over their views may be blocked by others standing and those that moved over not thinking to see what's happening around where they're going to be sitting.

There's no real winning by the club now, either they upset one group or the other.

But, there is one group who are in violation of the regulations of the ground and they're the ones standing and unfortunately they'll be the ones who lose.

Aug 2, 2011
So in an allseater stadium those who have determined that they will not confirm to the regulation re sitting because they wish to stand have a right to call those who pay to sit selfish. So presumably if I go to the cinema or theatre but decide to stand through the performance anyone behind me is selfish if they complain.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Bristol Rich":fabfzi3t said:
GreenThing":fabfzi3t said:
Lundan Cabbie":fabfzi3t said:
SwimWithTheTide":fabfzi3t said:
Doesn't even need to be "safe" standing. There's nothing unsafe about a terrace. Plenty of away days see us stood on them.

Who says that terracing is unsafe? The legislation certainly doesn't.

The fact terracing was removed as a result of Hillsborough implies just that. If terracing is safe, what was the reasoning for all seater stadiums?

A knee jerk reaction to a terrible tragedy and decisions made by people who had never stood at football or sat with the fans anyway.

Lord Justice Taylor led an independent enquiry. It would hardly have been independent if football supporters from the terraces had presented the report.

The final report with the recommendations came nine months after the events at Hillsborough so hardly knee jerk.

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
Presto":3bzp2dqi said:
So in an allseater stadium those who have determined that they will not confirm to the regulation re sitting because they wish to stand have a right to call those who pay to sit selfish. So presumably if I go to the cinema or theatre but decide to stand through the performance anyone behind me is selfish if they complain.

Screams volumes about the state of football that you’ve even made that comparison.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":1zx20fni said:
Everything points towards safe standing.

The law is ridiculous.

To a point I understand your view and agree. However, it is in place because of terrible things that could have been avoided. Safe standing will happen again but it won't be yet.

May 16, 2016
Once I'd got my head around the argument of people moaning or staying away (?) because they weren't able to stand where they want in an all seater stadium, or that those that want to sit in an all seater stadium are being selfish or some sort of old fart, I thought that the sooner 'Safe Standing' areas appear the better.

Then I thought, I hope the Standers realise the Safe Standing revolution will be contained and confined in relativley smaller areas of Stadia. The word 'Safe' will mean control and probably even more heavily monitored Seating areas. You'll be able to officially stand, but only in your own little personal space and only if you can get a ticket. Stand in the Seated areas and your feet wont touch on the way out.

One day, those few kicking off about being kicked out, will get their own way and win the argument for Standing areas, but will have actually restricted choice and opportunity for themselves and the majority of Standers to do what they do now.

Whereas, sit down, shut up and suck it up for a Season at most, and one of lifes more minor problems would have eventually gone away.

Aug 4, 2011
I’ve been to the pavilions on a number of occasions for a gig and usually toward the end people in the seated areas stand. So i give you the cinema comparison and raise you a pop concert

Jan 3, 2013
Rarely post on here because if the holier than thou attitude displayed, however, I must comment.....we spent 15 hours there and back to watch Argo at Grimsby. A chap in his seventies saw none of the game because the manchildren insisted on standing and blocking his view. At Charlton a young family had their children in tears because they couldn't see. I had to put one foot in the aisle to see and was told by a steward that I was blocking egress. When I remonstrated about the standing fans he token me to be quiet or I would be removed.
Yes the law is an ass, but proud of the above are you manchildren? Wait until it's your family

May 1, 2011
Lundan Cabbie":3hvbpy61 said:
Bristol Rich":3hvbpy61 said:
GreenThing":3hvbpy61 said:
Lundan Cabbie":3hvbpy61 said:
SwimWithTheTide":3hvbpy61 said:
Doesn't even need to be "safe" standing. There's nothing unsafe about a terrace. Plenty of away days see us stood on them.

Who says that terracing is unsafe? The legislation certainly doesn't.

The fact terracing was removed as a result of Hillsborough implies just that. If terracing is safe, what was the reasoning for all seater stadiums?

A knee jerk reaction to a terrible tragedy and decisions made by people who had never stood at football or sat with the fans anyway.

Lord Justice Taylor led an independent enquiry. It would hardly have been independent if football supporters from the terraces had presented the report.

The final report with the recommendations came nine months after the events at Hillsborough so hardly knee jerk.

As with all independent government enquiries the result had been decided before the report was published.

Perhaps after a tragedy when making laws it would be useful to consult with the people it will actually effect. Especially given that volumes of experience of standing on the terraces they could provide.

May 1, 2011
Presto":36zsd2n4 said:

You miss the point that fans are fighting against making football like going to the cinema or the theatre . The fact that you make that comparison shows the sanitised dull Home Park being created. Then you'll wonder why there is no atmosphere.

May 1, 2011
Knarf Reprah":233jfnol said:
Rarely post on here because if the holier than thou attitude displayed, however, I must comment.....we spent 15 hours there and back to watch Argo at Grimsby. A chap in his seventies saw none of the game because the manchildren insisted on standing and blocking his view. At Charlton a young family had their children in tears because they couldn't see. I had to put one foot in the aisle to see and was told by a steward that I was blocking egress. When I remonstrated about the standing fans he token me to be quiet or I would be removed.
Yes the law is an ass, but proud of the above are you manchildren? Wait until it's your family

Frank at Home Park currently none of the points you raise would be an issue. The Ground is a 3rd empty and there is ample seating for all who want it with plenty of leg room, an unopposed view and even spare seats to put your coats.

Jan 27, 2012
People who stand up in Home Park are out of order and need to be made to sit down. The club are competely right to enforce this and have been too soft in the past. If they eject people who refuse then it may cause some initial disturbances but initially everyone will get the message. Its a particular problem in the Lyndhurst stand and if people can't behave themselves and respect others, they cant complain if the stewards approach them. Having people standing up has been very disruptive in the past and really stopped people's enjoyment of the game.

I know people stand at the back of the Devonport and it causes no problems. But unless the club formally designate this area as standing it may be hard for them to enforce standing in one part of the ground but not another.

Feb 8, 2005
Bristol Rich":3s9u637m said:
Knarf Reprah":3s9u637m said:

Frank at Home Park currently none of the points you raise would be an issue. The Ground is a 3rd empty and there is ample seating for all who want it with plenty of leg room, an unopposed view and even spare seats to put your coats.

In that case why don't those wishing to stand go there, and they will not impose themselves on those who want to watch the match whilst seated!!!