Safe standing - Herald article | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Safe standing - Herald article

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
If the rule is being applied to one group it has to be applied all groups. Seating should apply to all.

Sep 19, 2015
There are thousands of Empty seats in that area of the ground at 90% of our Home Games, surely the asylum seekers from the Grandstand could move one block along or one row forward and save the everybody around them the hassle of enduring this pathetic debate every other week. I fear for Pasoti if the results pick up and we have decent crowds again Pompey or Sunderland as everybody in zoo corner will be standing!

Feb 8, 2005
IJN":27fw7ak3 said:
Just as daft is those that moan, complain and refuse to move even when they know they're in a 'standing allowed' area.

No standing allowed in an all seater stadium, Ian, but I know what you mean.

From a practical point of view it is difficult to deal with any large group of people who insist on standing when they should be seated. Thus the enforcement of the regulations becomes impractical.

Those that argue that they are allowed to stand are not "allowed" to stand, but the impacticalities of dealing with such a large number of people mean that no action is taken, but they are putting themselves at risk of ejection, and even banning, as the safety aspect of the regulations will always take priority.

If it is a risk that they think worth taking then there will always be those that will stand, sometimes to the detriment of others and always to the football club itself.

Feb 8, 2005
IJN":2txk4s7m said:
Just as daft is those that moan, complain and refuse to move even when they know they're in a 'standing allowed' area.

From a practical point of view it is difficult to deal with any large group of people who insist on standing when they should be seated. Thus the enforcement of the regulations becomes impractical.

Those that argue that they are allowed to stand are not "allowed" to stand, but the impacticalities of dealing with such a large number of people mean that no action is taken, but they are putting themselves at risk of ejection, and even banning, as the safety aspect of the regulations will always take priority.

If it is a risk that they think worth taking then there will always be those that will stand, sometimes to the detriment of others and always to the football club itself.

Oct 16, 2016
It’s interesting, the debate is wide ranging and holistic across all professional clubs with a decent following.

I’ve talked to others who follow other clubs but I’ve not heard of any other fanbase who are so vitriolic on both sides of the blurred line

Crystal Palace is a decent example, look down at their ‘ultras’ sector and they stand to a child.

Other clubs have a very interesting eclectic variance, when I go up for LFC v Everton or Utd I’m standing in the Kop, same goes for European nights and yet other games sea the Kop seated. I’ve never been, nor have I heard, people being asked to to sit on such occasions. A certain amount of sensible acumen applied.

The Main Stand at Anfield never stands

Feb 8, 2005
Shankster":2x3gnlxg said:
It’s interesting, the debate is wide ranging and holistic across all professional clubs with a decent following.

I’ve talked to others who follow other clubs but I’ve not heard of any other fanbase who are so vitriolic on both sides of the blurred line

Crystal Palace is a decent example, look down at their ‘ultras’ sector and they stand to a child.

Other clubs have a very interesting eclectic variance, when I go up for LFC v Everton or Utd I’m standing in the Kop, same goes for European nights and yet other games sea the Kop seated. I’ve never been, nor have I heard, people being asked to to sit on such occasions. A certain amount of sensible acumen applied.

Their grandstands have not been closed and the older people who prefer to sit have not been moved to another area of the stadium, where the younger generation prefer to stand.

The conflict will diminish when they return to their refurbished grandstand.

Patience is a virtue, Shanks.

C

CG1983

keyser soze":2i6zb868 said:
I relocated from the Mayflower into Block 14. I was fully aware there were supporters who like to stand at the back of that block so opted for a seat nearer the front. Plain common sense really, besides why should I expect long term occcupants of Block 14 to change their habits just cause I move in for one season.
The thing that's really baffling me with all this is those whinging about the standing who actually chose to relocated to the back of Block 15, did you never study the crowd behaviour at all when you were over the Grandstand side? My advice would be to relocated again to Block 18, sat there myself last Saturday, great view. Move on and we can all get on with moaning about the football instead.
I would add that I think the club could have gone along way to avoiding this situation by advising people when they chose their seats that the view from the back of Block 15 isn't what it could be. Just my opinion.
:clap: Well said.

Oct 16, 2016
jimsing":3enadn6l said:
Shankster":3enadn6l said:

Their grandstands have not been closed and the older people who prefer to sit have not been moved to another area of the stadium, where the younger generation prefer to stand.

The conflict will diminish when they return to their refurbished grandstand.

Patience is a virtue, Shanks.

I’m not criticising those that have moved, it isn’t their fault. Interestingly the Main Stand at Anfield was refurbished and had its capacity increased recently and people where relocated for a period.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
IJN":2hwqenr5 said:

So, if we have safe standing or allocated areas, then that’s for people who want to stand. Whilst we don’t the issue is that people have more of a right to sit than to stand - in terms of the league and stadium rules - and in that context the relocated Mayflower sitters have the trump card. Does no-one else feel uncomfortable seeing an old man or woman forced to stand when they feel that is difficult or even worse only see someone’s back for the whole game? Particularly when they are standing and creating the problem?

If it’s a toss up over who has the most claim, the sitter wins until we either have an area that the club deems as a standing area (ie it is clear to everyone it is tolerated there and only there), or the league rules change and we have safe standing. For this season I’m with the club on their position. Ultimately, if people do as asked everyone sees the game and that seems to me the primary purpose.

I do think the time is right to really push safe standing though. Because I’d argue that people should have the choice and the conditions that drive all seater are not the same now.

NanGreenthing

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 22, 2010
As blocks 18 and 19 were not being used, wouldn't it have made sense to relocate the fans there whilst the Grandstand is being renovated, or is that bit of common sense too simple? The fans could still stand in block 14 without upsetting anyone

May 1, 2011
jimsing":1r6th4h1 said:
IJN":1r6th4h1 said:

It is not a detriment to the club in anyway to have a small minority standing in a stadium that is over a 3rd empty. If big clubs can handle it on packed grounds I'm sure a half empty Home Park can.

There is no need for any Grandstanders to be in the last 3 rows of Block 14 is there?

Feb 8, 2005
Bristol Rich":201rem3k said:
jimsing":201rem3k said:
IJN":201rem3k said:

It is not a detriment to the club in anyway to have a small minority standing in a stadium that is over a 3rd empty. If big clubs can handle it on packed grounds I'm sure a half empty Home Park can.

There is no need for any Grandstanders to be in the last 3 rows of Block 14 is there?

It is a detriment to the Club, as seen by the Authorities, who apparently do visit grounds to ensure compliance.

If the grandstanders are forced to sit in an area that they do not wish to be in, then will the standers be forced to stand in an area that they may not wish to be in, when/if the safe standing becomes a possibility?

I'm sure they will put up the argument that they have stood for such a long time that they would be exempt from moving to the corners where the safe standing is supposed to be placed by the Club when possible.

Oct 16, 2016
As if Argyle can afford to ostracise attending fans, the fanbase of this club is fickle enough, especially those on the periphery

Football has been sanitised enough as it is but of course it should never be to the detriment of anybody’s safety

May 1, 2011
jimsing":2oha168v said:
Bristol Rich":2oha168v said:
jimsing":2oha168v said:
IJN":2oha168v said:

It is a detriment to the Club, as seen by the Authorities, who apparently do visit grounds to ensure compliance.

If the grandstanders are forced to sit in an area that they do not wish to be in, then will the standers be forced to stand in an area that they may not wish to be in, when/if the safe standing becomes a possibility?

I'm sure they will put up the argument that they have stood for such a long time that they would be exempt from moving to the corners where the safe standing is supposed to be placed by the Club when possible.

Except it's not enforced because every decent sized club has large areas of the ground where people stand. Big clubs can manage it and this whole argument shows us up for the small time club we can be. The stadium is over a 3rd empty, this should be a non debate!

Tell the Liverpool fans last night to sit down!!