Ryan Law (joins Gillingham on loan) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ryan Law (joins Gillingham on loan)

Jun 27, 2019
Does seem strange to offer him a contract to play for another team?
Nothing strange about it. Fulham have just done the same with young Sessegnon, as have Villa with Azaz - and no doubt those are just two examples among many.

Argyle obviously see enough in Law's potential to commit to him for another 12 months, while at the same time wanting to see him play regular football at a decent level - something we can't offer him this season.

Personally I think he'll end up leaving us next summer because IMO he doesn't have quite enough quality for League One football.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Makes sense to me.

Grant needed competition and the club were 50/50 if law could make the step up. They offered the contract to let a good pre season wee where it took him and then to make a decision.

I still think it’s 50/50 and the club needed to make a decision if Law was good enough to consistently challenge Grant and the answer is no.

Miller’s arrival would put Law at 3rd choice LWB which is no good to his development.

Let him go out and play consistent, competitive games and harden up a little. If he improves then the club can take another look at him in January to see if he’s improved enough for another 12 month contract.

No losers here. It wasn’t fair to keep him for a few minutes here and there so I agree with the way the club have handled it.

Fwiw I don’t think we will see law much again unless he really kicks on at Gillingham. He needs to really bulk out and get some game time.

He’s not a youngster anymore

Jul 12, 2016
Makes sense to me.

Grant needed competition and the club were 50/50 if law could make the step up. They offered the contract to let a good pre season wee where it took him and then to make a decision.

I still think it’s 50/50 and the club needed to make a decision if Law was good enough to consistently challenge Grant and the answer is no.

Miller’s arrival would put Law at 3rd choice LWB which is no good to his development.

Let him go out and play consistent, competitive games and harden up a little. If he improves then the club can take another look at him in January to see if he’s improved enough for another 12 month contract.

No losers here. It wasn’t fair to keep him for a few minutes here and there so I agree with the way the club have handled it.

Fwiw I don’t think we will see law much again unless he really kicks on at Gillingham. He needs to really bulk out and get some game time.

He’s not a youngster anymore
No losers ? Depends who’s paying his wages.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
No losers ? Depends who’s paying his wages.
His wages won’t be bank busting so I guess Gillingham will be covering them.

Sometimes it’s not always financially relevant.

He gets serious game time and we get to make another judgement on him once he’s made them.

He has something but he’s running out of time at Argyle.

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
Gillingham don't play wingbacks so this would be an odd move if we're looking to develop him.

Perhaps it's just about getting him in the shop window to move him on next summer?
I assuming that the club offered him a contract precisely because they feel there is a potential league one/championship player. But he needs a solid run. Ideally I would have liked to have seen him gone out on loan last season, however, that proved not possible.

I am pretty sure he played left back in a four for Torquay in his short loan, not so sure about Truro.

I suspect the club want to see if he can realise that potential, and then either offer him a contract next season or release. That will bring him to the same age as Garrick was last year.

Oct 14, 2015
We’ve had enough posters on here when we’ve had players on loan from other clubs asking why are we developing their players. Well that’s exactly what Gillingham are doing for us now. Probably very limited time at Argyle this season so let him play somewhere else, get games under his belt and come back a more experienced and developed player. Makes perfect sense to me.

Sep 22, 2020
from what we have seen of miller so far he looks a shoe in at lwb. Shame to see law go on long, understand good for his development but he looks to be a good prospect and would be good back up if miller injured.

Oct 31, 2015
Good luck Lawsy. Get stuck in like Randell and jeffers did and get back to the greens a better player ready for championship football.

You can do this👍

Win win for us, the Gill and Lawsy if he takes the chance

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Nothing strange about it. Fulham have just done the same with young Sessegnon, as have Villa with Azaz - and no doubt those are just two examples among many.

Argyle obviously see enough in Law's potential to commit to him for another 12 months, while at the same time wanting to see him play regular football at a decent level - something we can't offer him this season.

Personally I think he'll end up leaving us next summer because IMO he doesn't have quite enough quality for League One football.
My guess is we may have an option on another 12 months if all goes well? See if he develops well and if so, keep him on. If not, release. Otherwise does seem odd to extend with the intention only to loan

Reactions: Emu