Ryan Law (joins Gillingham on loan) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Ryan Law (joins Gillingham on loan)

unhinched

🚑 Steve Hooper
Apr 16, 2016
What I like about Law is he gets crosses in. Even with limited game time I can think of two goals resulting from his crosses in recent matches ( Oxford 1-0 home and Swansea 1-1 at home). Then that goal at Birmingham. I think its a good move for him, there's no substitute for getting league games under your belt.

Leo's Grandad

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
Hopefully he'll do well and hold down a position and get plenty of game time. Good luck.

May 22, 2006
Odd to give him a contract and then loan him out for a full season. What do Argyle gain from that?

Thought he did alright and was good going forward. Shame he didn’t score with the last touch of the game against City.

Good luck to him.

Reactions: oldage
Sep 3, 2009
For those asking 'what was the point in his new contract?', perhaps it's the case that Argyle offered a new one to prevent him walking away for nowt. If he turned it down and another club came in for him, we would have been due compensation as he is under 24.

As it is, he signed - which means he gets to go out on loan and see if he can fulfil the potential the management clearly think he has. If he does well, we can offer him another deal at the end of the season. If he takes it up, great and if he walks away, we still get compensated if he goes somewhere else, as he'll still be under 24.

Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible...)

Nov 18, 2011
For those asking 'what was the point in his new contract?', perhaps it's the case that Argyle offered a new one to prevent him walking away for nowt. If he turned it down and another club came in for him, we would have been due compensation as he is under 24.

As it is, he signed - which means he gets to go out on loan and see if he can fulfil the potential the management clearly think he has. If he does well, we can offer him another deal at the end of the season. If he takes it up, great and if he walks away, we still get compensated if he goes somewhere else, as he'll still be under 24.

Was just going to post this as well.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Good luck, personally I’m gutted

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Surely Law won’t be going anywhere until Grant is demonstrably fit enough to be a full member of the match day squad.

I think Grant’s injury and the obvious uncertainty about whether/when he would be sufficiently recovered to play is probably the reason that Law was offered a contract extension for this season int he first place. He provided a relatively cheap way of ensuring that we had cover at left-wing back regardless of whether we were successful in signing another player (Miller). In fact, with Grant still recovering from injury and significant questions over whether Miller can maintain his fitness to play even weekly, let along twice weekly, I’d argue that Law is currently needed at Home Park and will be for at least another month or so.
There you go. Absolutely spot on as usual!!!

• Haha
Reactions: greenpig27 and Sean
Jul 12, 2016
I wouldn't describe it as letting us down because I'm sure he's doing his best, but he absolutely terrifies me and I can think of loads of examples from the very few games he's played where his mistakes have cost us goals.

Although he's nearly 23, he still looks very young and his main weakness is that he seems perpetually caught out by the pace and physicality of pro football.

So it's not inconceivable that with another year of physical development and regular games he could get to the level we need, but he's quite a way off at the moment.
I wouldn't describe it as letting us down because I'm sure he's doing his best, but he absolutely terrifies me and I can think of loads of examples from the very few games he's played where his mistakes have cost us goals.

Although he's nearly 23, he still looks very young and his main weakness is that he seems perpetually caught out by the pace and physicality of pro football.

So it's not inconceivable that with another year of physical development and regular games he could get to the level we need, but he's quite a way off at the moment.
Absolutely terrifies you? He is no worst at defending than Grant

Jul 17, 2011
Odd to give him a contract and then loan him out for a full season. What do Argyle gain from that?

Thought he did alright and was good going forward. Shame he didn’t score with the last touch of the game against City.

Good luck to him.
I think it’s the same thing villa have just done with the lad Azaz… investing in the future

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth

The club could have an option to extend, which should act as an incentive to Ryan. Hope he does well there and becomes a regular in the side.

Dec 30, 2020

yeah a contract and then a loan move is totally logical. It just reflects the fact that the management think he's not ready to be a first team player at our level now, but might be in the future. So we keep hold of him but he continues to develop rather than stagnating on our bench.