Ryan Law (joins Gillingham on loan) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ryan Law (joins Gillingham on loan)

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Personally I think if he wasn’t an academy product he would have been released in the summer and most people wouldn’t really have batted an eyelid.

I think this is us giving him a final chance to show he is capable of being a first choice player here. Which for the relatively low cost of his wages and the fact we’ve spent 10 years or so developing him, is totally worthwhile. If this loan doesn’t work out, I don’t think he will be here next year.

I hope he goes out and proves himself to be good enough to play here. He has some great attributes and others that need some real improvement, but currently for me he is quite a way off of Conor Grant’s technical level and based off a few pre season games doesn’t look up to the level of Miller either.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
My only worry is whether Law gets enough games.

I wouldn't think he would be first choice, but he will have to battle for his place.
Well if he fails to make the position his own at that level I cant see him having any future at HP.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Personally I think if he wasn’t an academy product he would have been released in the summer and most people wouldn’t really have batted an eyelid.

I think this is us giving him a final chance to show he is capable of being a first choice player here. Which for the relatively low cost of his wages and the fact we’ve spent 10 years or so developing him, is totally worthwhile. If this loan doesn’t work out, I don’t think he will be here next year.

I hope he goes out and proves himself to be good enough to play here. He has some great attributes and others that need some real improvement, but currently for me he is quite a way off of Conor Grant’s technical level and based off a few pre season games doesn’t look up to the level of Miller either.
Sums it up perfectly

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I’ll probably take some stick for this but I don’t mean it in a harsh way - I’d like to see Ryan Law succeed just as much as anyone, but let’s say we picked him up a year or two ago from another club, up north or in/around London, let’s say he was the same age and that he had the same impact that he has over the last season or two, there’s no way that he’d be as highly rated as he seems to be by some fans. We have a tendency to massively favour our own, that isn’t unusual and we certainly aren’t the only fanbase who do that, but Plymouth born/bred players definitely benefit from rose tinted support. I hope he smashes it at Gillingham and returns to become a regular for us, and I do see something in him, but I’m just not as sold as some seem to be and it wouldn’t overly surprise me if he isn’t contracted to us in a year or two.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I rate Law and hope he proves all the doubters wrong. I disagree that Plymouth born/bred players benefit from rose tinted support I think they have to prove their worth more than others.I give you Randell as an example.

Not quite sure what you mean? I can only ever recall our fanbase being extremely supportive of Randell since he came onto the scene? For what it’s worth I think he’s a class act. I try to look at our players objectively regardless of whether they’re one of our own or not and at this point in time, I’m more confident that Randell will go on to have a promising career than Law will, but I obviously hope that both do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dale Aven
Sep 6, 2006
I rate Law and hope he proves all the doubters wrong. I disagree that Plymouth born/bred players benefit from rose tinted support I think they have to prove their worth more than others.I give you Randell as an example.
I'm still on 1 out of 4,000 plus posts from Oldage that I agree on.

Feb 15, 2005
Plenty of players have blossomed later in their twenties. The lad hasn’t had enough game time to allow him to flourish and feel comfortable in our first team. This could be the making of him and I wish him luck and expect him to be back here battled hardened for next season.

Apr 1, 2009
In what way has Randell had to prove his worth more than others?

Sep 6, 2006
Plenty of players have blossomed later in their twenties. The lad hasn’t had enough game time to allow him to flourish and feel comfortable in our first team. This could be the making of him and I wish him luck and expect him to be back here battled hardened for next season.
I fear he won't get a regular game in the rough and tumble of League 2

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
As we improve and go further up the league, we may well see more cases of academy prospects loaned out and many may never make the Argyle first team with only the very exceptionally talented being able to break through (Cooper, Randell etc) .

However I still think this is positive as local kids and their parents can see a path with Argyle how they can still become a professional footballer even if it’s League 2 or Conference and not with Argyle. As a community club that has got to be a good thing for the area and club in the long run.

I wish Ryan Law every luck this season and hope he comes back to fight for a first team slot but if not I hope it’s great experience for him to build his career.

Reactions: ken jackson
Jul 12, 2016
In what way has Randell had to prove his worth more than others?
He has not had the number of games his displays have warranted. He has not been an established first teamer.
We have taken loanees from other clubs of a similar age to our own and they rarely are any better but get more game time.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Good luck Lawsy- he has not had the rub of the green when it comes to regular game time in the 1st team

Going to the Gills whose manager (Neil Harris) has been a EFL manager at higher level clubs (Milwall & Cardiff) especially will probably benefit him as he will be looking to push on & be a 1st team regular week in week out

Maybe Schuey & his team were looking for a league 2 team that were best suited to develop Lawsy & Gillingham ticked all the boxes

With the players we have signed & the pecking order we have it would have been totally unfair to leave Lawsy to play in the Pizza Trophy & some minutes in the FA Cup

League 2 is a tough league- a season of war & attrition will be the making of him

Nov 18, 2011
We mostly all agree that Law is a good player going forward but defensively suspect.

If Gillingham still play with 4 at the back, I wonder if they may actually play to his strengths and play him further forward as a winger?

Then again, if they switch to wing backs, the gap in quality from League 1 to League 2 means that you can get away with playing someone defensively dodgy such as George Cooper at wing back and benefit from his attacking prowess.