Ryan Law (joins Gillingham on loan) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ryan Law (joins Gillingham on loan)

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
He has not had the number of games his displays have warranted. He has not been an established first teamer.
We have taken loanees from other clubs of a similar age to our own and they rarely are any better but get more game time.
The only time we had a loanee in his position was Tyrese Fornah and that allowed us to send Randell on loan to Torquay which has been massive for his development.

Our youth players have always been held on a pedestal. We were told quite clearly by numerous posters how much weā€™d regret releasing Alex Battle, Alex Fletcher and Klaidi Lolosā€¦ look where they are a couple years on.

Youth players have rarely justified the hype and thatā€™s no surprise, itā€™s extremely difficult to break into the first team from youth football. Itā€™s often been those who had little hype (Purrington, Young, Jephcott) that have done best. The only youth player I can recall that has been really talked up and delivered is Mike Cooper. But he is a really special talent and if youā€™re lucky you get those once every few academy cycles.

Jul 12, 2016
The only time we had a loanee in his position was Tyrese Fornah and that allowed us to send Randell on loan to Torquay which has been massive for his development.

Our youth players have always been held on a pedestal. We were told quite clearly by numerous posters how much weā€™d regret releasing Alex Battle, Alex Fletcher and Klaidi Lolosā€¦ look where they are a couple years on.

Youth players have rarely justified the hype and thatā€™s no surprise, itā€™s extremely difficult to break into the first team from youth football. Itā€™s often been those who had little hype (Purrington, Young, Jephcott) that have done best. The only youth player I can recall that has been really talked up and delivered is Mike Cooper. But he is a really special talent and if youā€™re lucky you get those once every few academy cycles.
All about opinions but I donā€™t agree that our youth players have been ā€œheld on a pedestalā€ Name one of them. Incidentally if our youth set rarely produces decent players why are we investing in it?

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
All about opinions but I donā€™t agree that our youth players have been ā€œheld on a pedestalā€ Name one of them. Incidentally if our youth set rarely produces decent players why are we investing in it?

It does produce 'decent' players fairly quite often. I was alluding to the fact that Cooper is a special talent, which doesn't come along very often. A realistic aim for our academy should be to produce one or two players for the first team from each intake. It doesn't sound like very many, but not all academies are Cobham or Hale End. Even elite teams struggle to produce regular first team talents for their own team.

Name a player that was put on a pedestal? Tyler Harvey, frequently. Alex Fletcher, even more so than Harvey. I once said he wasn't fit to lace Ryan Taylor's boots and got absolutely slaughtered on here. Adam Randell to an extent, everyone was calling for us to play him the second Houghton had one bad performance (despite him being a standout player for the first half of the season). There was criticism of the club after Isaac Vassell made a name for himself, despite the fact he is crap, always has been, just happens to be very fast, not that that has stopped people suggesting we re-sign him. Then there's the "we will regret this!" attitude towards players we release which i've already touched on.

On top of that, there is the inadvertent criticism of young loanees because they are not one of our own, (e.g Tyrese Fornah who had a number of decent performances for us).

And the real irony of it all is the youth player who gets the most criticism that I can remember in recent times, Luke Jephcott, is one of the genuine success stories of our academy!

Jul 12, 2016
As Iā€™ve already stated itā€™s all about different opinions. Most fans got behind Harvey and Fletcher but didnā€™t put them on a pedestal, I donā€™t think Vassell was crap and Iā€™ve not criticised Jephcott but see him as ideal partner for Hardie. I feel Randell has done more than enough to hold down a first team place.

NLG

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Jan 16, 2006
Yep, Jepher's gets too much criticism, think he is going to have a good season, hope so anyway.

Back on subject, never liked Gillingham, glad they go relegated, but now I will watch their results and Laws progress with real interest. I think he has something, just needs time on the pitch and a big dose of confidence. Lets hope he gets both. Wish that last minute header had gone in against City, would have given him a big boost before he went. Good Luck Lawsie!

Keepitgreen

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Started the game v Palace (7pm KO). Been given the No. 4 shirt.

Reactions: Mr Gillingham

Keepitgreen

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Law replaced in the 62nd minute. Palace winning 2-1.

May 22, 2006
Law replaced in the 62nd minute. Palace winning 2-1.
Palace won 3-2. Given that Palace played Manchester Utd in Sydney today, you would have thought it would have been a weak side against the Gills. In fact the goals came from Benteke and Zaha, so maybe they played their ressies in Oz. Maybe LC can enlighten us.

Edit: Unvaccinated players did not travel to Australia.

Last edited:

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Palace won 3-2. Given that Palace played Manchester Utd in Sydney today, you would have thought it would have been a weak side against the Gills. In fact the goals came from Benteke and Zaha, so maybe they played their ressies in Oz. Maybe LC can enlighten us.

Lots of Palaceā€™s players didnā€™t travel due to strict vaccination restrictions in places such as Singapore where they played the other day, Vieira commented in the week that itā€™s been frustrating.

Bryan Tregunna

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
Sep 22, 2003
Perhaps Schuey knew that he couldn't guarantee the game time that Ryan needs, and that he was happy for him to go out on loan because he sees Jack Endacott as a potential back up at LWB.

Reactions: chester
Jun 27, 2021
Lots of Palaceā€™s players didnā€™t travel due to strict vaccination restrictions in places such as Singapore where they played the other day, Vieira commented in the week that itā€™s been frustrating.
Yea Iā€™d be frustrated to, I find it ridiculous having the squad split in two like that, surely a change of pre season should have been implemented so they could have had preseason together. Another money over football decision.

Reactions: Cobi Budge

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Yea Iā€™d be frustrated to, I find it ridiculous having the squad split in two like that, surely a change of pre season should have been implemented so they could have had preseason together. Another money over football decision.
It certainly is frustrating. It cannot be positive in any sense to have the first team squad preparing for the new season split into two groups. The only benefit has been the experience for the academy players who have travelled to Singapore and Australia an played up against strong Liverpool and Man United teams (and Leeds Utd this Friday).

the club committed themselves to the trip before the pandemic and obviously things are a lot different since they signed up for it. I was tempted to go myself. The package was Ā£2,800 for the three games but I would have been disappointed had I gone only to find such a weakened squad travelling.

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Oh, and Ryan Law had a solid game playing on the left of their defence up against Luke Plange who was on loan at Derby last season. Plange scored a hat trick on Saturday against Ipswich but Law gave him a better test. Gills played very deep and weā€™re only more adventurous after both sides had made many changes, including Law being replaced.