Retained list (Merged and confirmed) | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Retained list (Merged and confirmed)

Jul 12, 2016
We will sign another keeper, no doubt about it. There was a graphic released this week about the performances of League One keepers and it didn't paint Burton in the best light. We know how much Argyle love data so they'll be all too aware of the need to bring someone in who can get a bit closer to Cooper's level of performance.
Don’t agree. Based on what I saw Burton has done little wrong, covered Cooper’s absence well and helped get us promoted.

Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
No chance he wil be the back up keeper (in my view). I expect us to sign a loanee, possibly from a top premiership team, to vie with Burton until Cooper is back.
Problem for a further keeper is that they are likely to have very limited game time. Maybe get a game in the League Cup, but, apart from that without an injury to Burton probably just sitting on the bench until Cooper can return.

Jun 27, 2019
Don’t agree. Based on what I saw Burton has done little wrong, covered Cooper’s absence well and helped get us promoted.
It's not going to be based on what you saw, though, it'll be based on the data - as it always is at Argyle.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
🎫 ST Donor 🎫
⚽️ Player Sponsor ⚽️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Apr 25, 2016
Cooper was young when he made his debut.

Really? I would not of known that 🤦🏼‍♂️ not a chance a young GK with no experience will start a Championship game

Sep 6, 2006
It's not going to be based on what you saw, though, it'll be based on the data - as it always is at Argyle.
So what's the data then? Do tell. Problems with distribution perhaps.
On another note I doubt very much that Argyle make decisions based on data alone.

May 10, 2022
Godalming, Surrey
Whats also awesome about Danny is the "manner" of his leaving. its rare in the modern game that a player leaves with no acrimony, question marks about loyalty, the sense that he's leaving on a downward spiral, or that the fan base is just "meh" about someone going,

Its a real, real shame, I like many others was always a massive fan but to leave on a high, with his reputation never higher, with no sense of acrimony and the sense that its probably just the "right time" is great.

Dec 30, 2020
A word for Luke Jephcott who played a massive part in getting us where we are today.

His goals helped to get us over the line in 2019/20, kept us up the following season and then hugely contributed to a brilliant season in 2021/22 that laid the foundations for the truly sensational one that followed.

We have a poor history of bringing local players through, so it was great to see LJ break into the team and play over 100 games with a very credible goalscoring record as well.

Best of luck with whatever comes next and I hope he gets a warm reception any time he's back at Home Park

May 7, 2015
On another note I doubt very much that Argyle make decisions based on data alone.
Possibly distribution, judgement, reluctance to claim crosses / dominate his box. Maybe due to lack of confidence or poor communication, but he was below par in a number of areas. Actually thought he looked much better in the last couple games, but didn't feel he inspired confidence in front of him generally. There was a world of difference between Cooper and Burton which will be exploited in the Championship

Jul 12, 2016
Presumably based on data he was offered a contract extension. I think the fact he has lived in Coopers shadow meant he had an hard act to follow. Burton waited for his chance and it can’t have been easy warming the bench for so long. Well done to him.

Jun 27, 2019
Of the 34 goalkeepers who played at least 1,000 minutes in League One this season, Burton was ranked 21st for Prevented Goals (Cooper was 1st).

You may think 21st isn't bad for a back-up, but it's actually quite poor when the data also shows we had the lowest xG Against during the period Burton was in goal.

We had one of the highest xG Against figures when Cooper was in goal, which suggests the whole team made a concerted effort to protect the goal when Burton came in. It also makes Cooper's stats even more impressive.

Burton is a decent keeper and has more than played his part in our promotion. However, we'll need better in the Championship - even just as back-up. Sentiment won't keep the ball out of our net.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2016
Possibly distribution, judgement, reluctance to claim crosses / dominate his box. Maybe due to lack of confidence or poor communication, but he was below par in a number of areas. Actually thought he looked much better in the last couple games, but didn't feel he inspired confidence in front of him generally. There was a world of difference between Cooper and Burton which will be exploited in the Championship
How can you say he was “below par” What more could he have done as I don’t recall him making that many mistakes? To be honest I am more concerned that we have offered terms to Wilson who isn’t the quickest.
Imagine he would struggle in the Championship.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
No huge surprises. Thought we might keep Grant, but maybe the injuries are more likely to be re-occurring than we know.

If we're releasing Luke, no compensation inbound from wherever he goes? Thought we might just offer the contract for the compensation.

Thank you to all outgoing players, you've played a part in a season I'll remember for a long, long time.

Oct 5, 2013
How can you say he was “below par” What more could he have done as I don’t recall him making that many mistakes? To be honest I am more concerned that we have offered terms to Wilson who isn’t the quickest.
Imagine he would struggle in the Championship.
Wilson is a very quick sprinter over 20-40 yards, have you not seen the way he chases back to make tackles and blocks?!