Plymouth photos. | Page 25 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth photos.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
I was just reading up on Smeaton's Tower, as I was trying to recall the reason why it was painted red and white stripes from all-white ... it was for Drake 400 (to commemorate his circumnavigation of the world). But there's a bit more to it than that.

It's original colour-scheme, when it was on the Eddystone, was red and white, and it retained that colouring when it was moved to the Hoe in the 1880s. Then in 1937, for King George's coronation, it was repainted green and stone (stone body, with the top and base painted green) which remained until the early 60s, when it was painted all-white. And then back to the current scheme in 1980.

Reactions: Pogleswoody

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
Sidney, British Columbia,, Canada
oh! bottom of North Hill (charles st). Just couldn’t picture that junction as it was then, but looked familiar. I’ve always known the Arts Centre on that corner, along with the old shopping centre from the 80s.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
The fours Houses at my old school were Smeaton, Rudyard, Winstanley and Douglas, all Lighthouses on the Eddystone. I was in Smeaton.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
For a fascinating look at how Plymouth was rebuilt after the war, I’d thoroughly recommend seeking out a film called ‘The Way We Live’ - its on Talking Pictures TV fairly regularly and I’m pretty sure you can find it on YouTube too. Absolutely loads of footage from around the city in the late 40s and early 50s which will bring back heaps of memories for many on here. Also look out for a film called ‘The Uncle’ shot in the mid-60s around Honicknowle, Ham, Ernesettle etc for another nostalgia trip.

Bernie Bernbaum

Pasoti Quiz Champions
May 29, 2015
Yep The Way We Live is a great and interesting film. Directed by Jill Craigie, wife of Michael Foot, the latter making an appearance in the film.
Re The Uncle if you visit the site Reelstreets.com (great site for film and history buffs) there are location stills from the film and 'now' photos, some of which I contributed a few years ago.