Plymouth Argyle's new manager? | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle's new manager?

Who do you want? New poll 25 May

• Ian Holloway

Votes: 114 50.0%
  • Graham Coughlan

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Michael Flynn

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Sol Campbell

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Jocelyn Gourvennec

Votes: 25 11.0%
  • Keith Hill

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Adam Sadler

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Gary Johnson

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Warren Joyce

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 23 10.1%
  • Ryan Lowe

Votes: 26 11.4%

• Total voters
Apr 1, 2009
the_corkscrew":36sszdkc said:
Before we pick out names, shouldn't we list the qualities we want? Then see who has them?
Must move to Devon.
Engages with fans and unlikely to boycott media or show bunker mentality.
Proven record of nurturing youth players.
Proven record in L1 L2 transfer market.
Willing to attack opposition even after going a goal up.

Personally I'd be up for a relatively unknown, fresh, enthusiastic manager. The youth aspect is very important as its the only way we'll compete long term.

Adams out now, put Wotton in charge for 1 game, pick the manager soon after

I was agreeing with so much - until you proposed putting Wotton in charge for a game. We need someone fresh.

Talking of which, it's a bit depressing hearing some of the names trotted out. Holloway, who managed us more than a decade ago, Hodges who managed us (unsuccessfully) nearly 2 decades ago, and Warnock from nearly a quarter of a century ago. Tear up the nostalgia please, we need new blood.

May 16, 2016
So, we're looking for a Young yet experienced Manager, who's emphasis is on attack yet understands the defensive side. Not afraid to blood youngsters yet has a contacts list and pulling power strong enough to get the experienced Pro's to come to Plymouth on probably less than they might earn closer to home and are most likely older than him.

Not only does he need to be forward thinking and hungry, he needs to have honed his skills while previously working with a low budget because that's what he'll have here.

Needs to be proven, media savvy, engaging, popular and yet somehow managed to have remained unkown. Hopefully from abroad, fluent in English and well aware of what's required logistically to be an Argyle manager.

Glad it's not me making the decisions !

Mar 7, 2005
Redruth
Adams out on Monday morning or if not sooner,Kevin Hodges and his back up staff for Saturdays game,After that I would be happy to see Gary Rowett with Summers as his assistant to take over,Both done very well in previous appointments.

Jan 27, 2012
Well I hope Argyle stay up. If they do then Adams will probably stay.

But IF Argyle are in the hunt for a manager I dont think Warnock should be ruled out. He might leave Cardiff if they get relegated and he seems to like this area. He was linked with the Argyle job before Adams and people on this forum were calling him a dinosaur from the past. Since then he's got yet another team promoted so hardly past it.

An outside bet would be Andy Morrison. He was an interesting guest on the Herald podcast. The opposition managers wouldn't want to mess with him !!

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Wonder if a foreign manager with different networks might be an advantage. I agree we will always struggle if we are trying to recruit players already settled in the UK.

Someone like Daniel Farker at Norwich has bought in some relatively unknown Germans for low fees who were presumably off the radar of most clubs and made a success of the team.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
Cannot understand so many people wanting Steve Evans, the man's a knob, and a bully of the highest order. Only does "well" when he has lots of money to spend and is a crook. If that fat winker gets the job (which isn't available right now anyway) I won't be going anywhere near Home Park until he's been inevitably sacked. I'd rather have our Steve Evans in charge.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
For those suggesting a young and unknown manager, how about Mark Molesey? He had a short playing spell at Argyle a few seasons ago
He has just won the southern league with Weymouth and he also has experience managing Bournemouth's academy and links to that club.
Having said that I think Keith Hill is possibly the safest option.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
If we're going through the usual motions of having ex-managers back I genuinely wouldn't be against Fletcher coming back (with an experienced assistant). I still maintain that we played some great football in his second season, he just needed more experience for the mess we were in. There would be better alternatives for certain though.

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
I want someone I've never heard of, at least in a managerial capacity. The merry-go-round of old lags and dinosaurs has been going on for far too long. Someone on the way up, not the way down is what we need: someone who'll promote the youth, build a young team to play with verve and style and guts. I hope Hallett would be looking at assistants in the FL or current managers in the National League. I was interested to hear about Molesley, who I vaguely remember but had no idea was managing now.

May 3, 2017
Wouldn’t want Holloway back. I think he’s washed up as a manager now and enjoys his media work too much. Steve Evans is definitely a no no! Warnock unrealistic.

For me, Daryl Clarke is a good shout and did wonders at the Gas even though he did lose his way a bit this season.

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
Liam Vercoe":lmryad0m said:
If we're going through the usual motions of having ex-managers back I genuinely wouldn't be against Fletcher coming back (with an experienced assistant). I still maintain that we played some great football in his second season, he just needed more experience for the mess we were in. There would be better alternatives for certain though.

You're genuinely pushing for the return of a manager who was so poor we nearly dropped out of the league?

Darren Moore would be a good shout, or Paul Hirst. That, or I'd like to see us going outside the box and overseas.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
David Friio's mate":2wyg0m2w said:
Liam Vercoe":2wyg0m2w said:

You're genuinely pushing for the return of a manager who was so poor we nearly dropped out of the league?

Darren Moore would be a good shout, or Paul Hirst. That, or I'd like to see us going outside the box and overseas.

Read it again, literally the last sentence is that there would be better alternatives. I'm not pushing for anyone, I just said I wouldn't be against it.

Dec 28, 2010
Ian Holloway would in my opinion be so risky as an appointment as it would immediately split the fanbase which we do not need at this time no matter how much good he could most probably do in either league one or two.

I for one do not want Steve Evans anywhere near this club in the same way as I wouldnt want Gareth Ainsworth ever near us either, both complete tools!

Someone mentioned Gary Rowett with Kevin Summerfield as assistant manager now that would be my dream appointment but its not going to happen not in League One forget League Two if we go down.

The most obvious and safest two appointments would be Keith Hill or Paul Hurst who both have had success with small budgets but also both had poor recent records. Paul Hurst was up against it at Ipswich so may have been a poisoned chalice job and what worries me about Keith Hill was he seemed to run out of ideas at Rochdale or does he just need a fresh challenge because it went stale at Rochdale?

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i like the idea of rowett and summers.otherwise i am impressed with the three germans in england.norwich,barnsley and liverpool doing very well.

May 16, 2016
I'd like someone who would get us up if we go down or at least stay up if we dont.

Not fussed if I've heard of him or not.