Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 13 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Feels like clickbait this one. Not sure why we’d sign Woodyard tbh.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Most of these dodgy twitter rumour sites do to be honest.
Saying that, I was reading up about him, and he does tick a few boxes that might be useful to us.

a, he comes as a free
b, he's been captain for Wimbledon for the last 2 seasons from midfield, and we could do with more leadership in that area.
c, he has experience at L1 level.

The downside of course is that he was part of a relegated side.

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
I don't understand the negative comments about being part of a relegated side. Lameiras came to us off the back of Coventry going down.
Conor Grant went down with us last time.
Macari, Buchan, Kidd and George Best were in the United side that got relegated in the 70s.

Reactions: David Doidge
Dec 30, 2020

Conversely, I thought this sounded the most plausible link so far:

- captain of Wimbledon and as Emu's link suggests, the kind of character we value
- google suggests he's ranked in the top 10 League 1 players for tackles made, so fits with the data-led approach (we also don't really have a purely defensive-focused midfielder in the squad)
- a journeyman non-league/lower league background and never played higher than League 1, so unlikely to be of interest to the upper L1 clubs with whom we are unable to compete financially

Reactions: macleanie and Drake

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Sonny Bradley was relegated from League One with Crawley and then signed for us a year later. Some players just work out at clubs despite their history.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Most of these dodgy twitter rumour sites do to be honest.
Saying that, I was reading up about him, and he does tick a few boxes that might be useful to us.

a, he comes as a free
b, he's been captain for Wimbledon for the last 2 seasons from midfield, and we could do with more leadership in that area.
c, he has experience at L1 level.

The downside of course is that he was part of a relegated side.

So if Woodward comes in who does he replace?

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Conversely, I thought this sounded the most plausible link so far:

- captain of Wimbledon and as Emu's link suggests, the kind of character we value
- google suggests he's ranked in the top 10 League 1 players for tackles made, so fits with the data-led approach (we also don't really have a purely defensive-focused midfielder in the squad)
- a journeyman non-league/lower league background and never played higher than League 1, so unlikely to be of interest to the upper L1 clubs with whom we are unable to compete financially

So what happens to Jordan Houghton?

May 18, 2022
Would we go for scott sinclair an ideal player 32 but still get us a few goals . Also alfie may from Cheltenham on a free.. contract expires in July.

Dec 30, 2020
So what happens to Jordan Houghton?

Houghton sits deep but he is there to play passes and start attacking moves. I think in some games, particularly against better teams where it's harder to dominate possession, we could use a defensive midfielder whose role is to make tackles and disrupt the opposition. Either alongside Houghton, or potentially as an alternative. Not something we have in the squad atm.

(NB I had never heard of Woodyard until his name was mentioned on this thread - not necessarily saying he is this type of player, just that it would make sense if he is)

Reactions: Drake
Apr 1, 2009
Would we go for scott sinclair an ideal player 32 but still get us a few goals . Also alfie may from Cheltenham on a free.. contract expires in July.
I think it's safe to say that we won't go for Scott Sinclair. Ageing, waning players expecting a big wage (by our standards) are not our style, so not ideal. May signed a new contract earlier this year.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Houghton sits deep but he is there to play passes and start attacking moves. I think in some games, particularly against better teams where it's harder to dominate possession, we could use a defensive midfielder whose role is to make tackles and disrupt the opposition. Either alongside Houghton, or potentially as an alternative. Not something we have in the squad atm.

(NB I had never heard of Woodyard until his name was mentioned on this thread - not necessarily saying he is this type of player, just that it would make sense if he is)

I’m still not convinced about Houghton personally. I don’t think he actually does start moves nor provides enough defensive security - for me he’s not a great tackler shown by the amount of yellows he’s had (and red) many of them because an opponent gets goal side of him.

I really want to see Randell given more game time - he seems a better tackler than Houghton and I also think he passes the ball quicker with either foot and more forward passes into midfield rather than Houghtons style which is more to play short passes into the defenders or wing backs.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I’m still not convinced about Houghton personally. I don’t think he actually does start moves nor provides enough defensive security - for me he’s not a great tackler shown by the amount of yellows he’s had (and red) many of them because an opponent gets goal side of him.

I really want to see Randell given more game time - he seems a better tackler than Houghton and I also think he passes the ball quicker with either foot and more forward passes into midfield rather than Houghtons style which is more to play short passes into the defenders or wing backs.
Agree. He’s ok but lacks anything specific. Randell has such an eye for a pass and can be the deep lying playmaker that we need.

If Randell doesn’t make thy position his own next season then I’d be surprised. Whatever happens, I don’t expect to see Houghton having as much game time