Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 42 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

Mar 14, 2009
WoodsyGreen":w2ubr345 said:
I would love to hear RL's view on how a player with feet shaped like 50ps is going to fit into his ball-playing defenders philosophy.

This would make sense if we were playing a four, not a 3 atb. As the defender can pass it onto the full back. As we saw Aimson improved immensely by this happening.

They must of watched him play to think they can develop him.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Another CB soon?

RL tells Herald

We will hopefully have one more in the next 72 hours maybe and that will be three solid defenders who we feel can compete in this league and keep the back door shut, along with a top class goalkeeper in Michael Cooper."

Aug 5, 2016
oldage":y9xap3ym said:
The polar opposite? Error prone,can't pass and dreadful on the floor. Same as our defence last season.

Quite unfair in my opinion.

Opoku and Watts could play football extremely well for defenders.

They were better and less wasteful in possession than a lot of our other players. And as for errors, there aren't an abundance of defensive clangers that spring to mind.

Their undoing was heading out routine crosses which conceded routine goals. They lacked character, focus and determination at times and couldn't see out a win the way a Derek Adams back line could.

Their mental frailty was a corrosion that spread to the rest of the team, and even a goal or two up we could never be sure.

I think Lowe has really sat and thought about it and realised he needs good defenders first and foremost at the back - alpha male gobshite types that are willing to head bricks and tackle a rhinocerous.

An ability to control and pass a football is a secondary consideration - preferred, but not essential.

I can definitely see the style of play changing this season. Portsmouth seemed to have big physical defenders who clattered the ball away, perhaps Lowe has realised you don't need elegance at the back like Manchester City to win lower league football matches.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
BojanTheGreat":1ndosjf7 said:
In the article about Scarr, Lowe mentions another defender has agreed to join and should be signed by the end of the weekend.

Any ideas? Could be Woods?

Manny Monthe has announced he won’t be resigning for Tranmere next season today. Left footed centre back. Could be him?

Mar 14, 2009
Knibbsworth":36pk1tca said:
oldage":36pk1tca said:
The polar opposite? Error prone,can't pass and dreadful on the floor. Same as our defence last season.

They were better and less wasteful in possession than a lot of our other players. And as for errors, there aren't an abundance of defensive clangers that spring to mind.

Their undoing was heading out routine crosses which conceded routine goals. They lacked character, focus and determination at times and couldn't see out a win the way a Derek Adams back line could.

Their mental frailty was a corrosion that spread to the rest of the team, and even a goal or two up we could never be sure.

I think Lowe has really sat and thought about it and realised he needs good defenders first and foremost at the back - alpha male gobshite types that are willing to head bricks and tackle a rhinocerous.

An ability to control and pass a football is a secondary consideration - preferred, but not essential.

I can definitely see the style of play changing this season. Portsmouth seemed to have big physical defenders who clattered the ball away, perhaps Lowe has realised you don't need elegance at the back like Manchester City to win lower league football matches.

That’s what lm looking forward to the most next season. Not new players, but have the tactics changed. Has he learnt from this past season.

Jan 2, 2006
[

Manny Monthe has announced he won’t be resigning for Tranmere next season today. Left footed centre back. Could be him?[/quote]

He is an absolute Man-Mountain

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Manny Monthe is a good shout although Barrow fans are convinced he's signing for them and linking up again with his former manager Mark Cooper.

Aug 5, 2016
I saw a bit of Monthe the season before last, and he was terrific for Tranmere then. He stood out as their best player.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Another player worth a name drop could be Scott Wharton. Part of RL’s Bury side that got promoted and then Northampton’s. He was in Blackburn’s first team plans last season but I believe he got injured. Perhaps a loan move to L1 before being ready for the Championship?

Also like the idea of Charlie Goode, another of Northampton’s promoted L2 defence, who ended up signing for Brentford. He didn’t play much last season and they ended up signing Winston Reid from West Ham in January. Perhaps another who skipped L1 level and it didn’t quite work out? Possibly a loan move? Will be surplus to requirements in the Premier League you’d imagine.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
BojanTheGreat":3i8hzzot said:
[

Manny Monthe has announced he won’t be resigning for Tranmere next season today. Left footed centre back. Could be him?

He is an absolute Man-Mountain[/quote]

He was appalling in the playoffs vs Morecambe. Harsh to judge off one game but he looked clumsy.

Mar 14, 2009
Nathan Baker’s name keeps being mentioned…

A solid, no nonsense defender. City fans don’t think he is great with ball at his feet but is a good defender. They say he is injury prone too.

Jul 12, 2016
davie nine":2pitbnjm said:
Oldage, I think you said you bought a season ticket and I know you wanted to arrange transport from Cornwall.
Why?
Stupid question to put to a supporter of over 55 years!

Jul 12, 2016
Knibbsworth":2rf0ypfz said:
oldage":2rf0ypfz said:

You have a very short memory. In the disastrous end to the season almost every goal conceded was due to an individual error.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Metal_Green_Mickey":1900e5fe said:
Nathan Baker’s name keeps being mentioned…

A solid, no nonsense defender. City fans don’t think he is great with ball at his feet but is a good defender. They say he is injury prone too.

I mentioned him a while back on page 25 of this thread thought he would be a decent signing for us. Hopefully this has legs.