Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 125 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

Sep 12, 2015
The thing is we can’t afford to get in players that are established for league one football. So we need a head coach, they aren’t managers any more, who can play a system successful to the type of calibre of players we can afford.

lm all for playing out the back, instead of hoofing it down the line. However, we just aren’t in the market for those players who can play out from the back, and make their passes in a consistent and accurate way. Don’t get me wrong. Wilson, Scarr and Galloway are much improved on our back 3 of last season. However, when you asking lower league defenders to break a press l think your asking a hell of a lot.

People think lm being ridiculously negative. Even very repetitIve with my posts. They are right. Yet it’s because we are asking for the ridiculous in terms of playing out from the back. It’s brave. I will give Lowe that. Yet as the season unfolds we will lose games in a silly fashion because of trying to play out from the back. Now as an Argyle fan if you can accept that promotion in this way is unlikely then that’s fine. Yet how many fans will honestly accept this?

Look at the type of sides that get promoted. Rotherham, Hull, Luton, Barnsley, Millwall and Blackpool. They all play their football but they play it in the opposition half, and not their own. Everyone thought Bradley was a good defender. And he was. Yet imagine him trying to play it out from the back. And there is the issue l feel.
agree 100 %

Reactions: Chip green

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Why the fixation on what our players supposedly earn- the article that has been posted i will take with a pinch of salt

I am not at all interested in what our players earn - it is what they do on the pitch & the commitment they show to the shirt that is important

Some how i dont think any of the posters on this site would disclose their yearly salary on this forum
I’m interested as to what players earn.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
“The News” reports Danny Cowley saying that it was Harrison who turned us down, electing to stay at Pompey.

I admire your upbeat post- but I think it’s difficult to spin this in any other way than being a totally abject episode. We have only two fit senior strikers, in a formation which requires two fit senior strikers….

I hope the club will learn from this and ensure that we never find ourselves in this position again in subsequent windows. All negotiations should be conducted by a senior executive as the sole point of contact, there needs to be strict timetabling on agreements and strictly adhered sunset clauses on all offers, lastly there needs to be a plan “b” ( and “c”, “d”, “e” and “f”) if necessary…
Would people not think some of the best players in this league are on 4-5k a week?

Given we can’t afford this l think our model is pretty obvious. We are looking for rough diamonds we can polish up. Like your Camara’s and Scarr’s. People that the stats say there is some potential but they maybe not consistent enough.

The problem is football fans aren’t patient. Argyle fans aren’t any different. The crowds maybe 10k currently but if they don’t see progress it will dwindle back to the hard core numbers. I remember the championship. Crowds were great at first. 16k. Then as we struggled it dwindled.

Maybe we just are a league one club that unfortunately given our location will struggle to attract the players we need to be a sustainable championship club. Without a wealthy benefactor willing to pump money into this football club in obscene amounts (like a Landsdown at Bristol City) lm not sure how we can be a sustainable championship club. Look at what Bristol City spend just to tread water in that league.

Unless the financial rules in football change so everyone is playing on the same level l can’t see how we compete above this level. Not to say we can’t make the championship but l think we would be like a Rotherham where at best we would yo-yo between championship and league one.
Simon Hallett says we have to be smarter.
I don’t know details of the wealth and financial resources of all the teams currently in the Championship but there must be some who have maintained their status in that league for 5 years or more. Why should we not be able to do the same?

Mar 14, 2009
Simon Hallett says we have to be smarter.
I don’t know details of the wealth and financial resources of all the teams currently in the Championship but there must be some who have maintained their status in that league for 5 years or more. Why should we not be able to do the same?

There is a chance because some of the championship clubs are so badly mismanaged.

Argyle had a few good seasons in the championship. Eventually the financial gulf caught up with us. It will do for clubs like Luton. Though if your doing well your best players and manager/coach will be pinched by clubs with more money.

Look at Barnsley. Had a couple of great coaches. They left. Eventually they will get sucked into a relegation scrap.

Reactions: Green as Grass

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
There is a chance because some of the championship clubs are so badly mismanaged.

Argyle had a few good seasons in the championship. Eventually the financial gulf caught up with us. It will do for clubs like Luton. Though if your doing well your best players and manager/coach will be pinched by clubs with more money.

Look at Barnsley. Had a couple of great coaches. They left. Eventually they will get sucked into a relegation scrap.
I was intrigued by your reference to Barnsley’s ‘couple of great coaches’. I couldn’t recall any of their coaches/managers so I decided to check.
The only one I recognised in a list of 9 managers since 2016 was Daniel Stendel and I think I remembered him because of his court case involving Joey Barton.
The others were:-
Paul Heckingbottom
Paul Harsley
Jose Morais
Adam Murray (twice)
Gerhard Struber
Valerian Ismael
Marcus Schopp (current)

Reactions: kimbo
Mar 14, 2009
I was intrigued by your reference to Barnsley’s ‘couple of great coaches’. I couldn’t recall any of their coaches/managers so I decided to check.
The only one I recognised in a list of 9 managers since 2016 was Daniel Stendel and I think I remembered him because of his court case involving Joey Barton.
The others were:-
Paul Heckingbottom
Paul Harsley
Jose Morais
Adam Murray (twice)
Gerhard Struber
Valerian Ismael
Marcus Schopp (current)

When l say great coach, l meant for Barnsley at that time and what they did for that club. Ross County fans will say Adams was a great coach. Argyle fans l’m not sure would agree after his stint at Argyle.

One was Struber who took over with Barnsley 7 points from safety. He helped them to survive. A great achievement given the resources at his disposal. Then New York Red Bulls came after him and he left.

The other is Ismael. He got Barnsley into the playoffs. They played high tempo football last season. Now he is implementing that high pressing style with West Brom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knibbsworth
Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
This thread has got distorted by money. The issue I see is not that we didn’t sign a striker of Championship quality in the window, it’s that we signed no striker.

My concern is not with the quality we have but the lack of cover or options to change the play in the last ten minutes if we are losing or trying to hold the ball up.

I have no idea what happened, but I will quite happily discuss my concerns with anyone associated with my the club, elsewhere in football or an inanimate object.

I pay my money and I have an opinion. My opinion is we are well run, we have a good manager and we are too short of strikers.

May 8, 2011
It would appear that the only rumours about potential signings now come from the manager and director of football and they prove to be just as reliable as the many Twitter accounts linking Argyle to players.
Why did Lowe and Dewsnip feel the need to go public with these rumours?

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
It would appear that the only rumours about potential signings now come from the manager and director of football and they prove to be just as reliable as the many Twitter accounts linking Argyle to players.
Why did Lowe and Dewsnip feel the need to go public with these rumours?

?!
Duncan was spotted in the ground by a fan and the rumour about Harrison was put about by various newspapers before RL was asked and commented on it.

Topboy

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 2, 2003
Plympton
I KNOW this isn't about Argyle but it's English football related, and the money being thrown around it quite staggering......

A piece from today's Upshot: -

The transfer window spend of the Premier League's three promoted clubs - Watford, Norwich, Brentford - was more than La Liga's top three - Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid, Barcelona - combined. If Norwich played in Spain they would have been the biggest spenders in La Liga.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
I KNOW this isn't about Argyle but it's English football related, and the money being thrown around it quite staggering......

The transfer window spend of the Premier League's three promoted clubs - Watford, Norwich, Brentford - was more than La Liga's top three - Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid, Barcelona - combined. If Norwich played in Spain they would have been the biggest spenders in La Liga.
That is an incredibly scary thought considering Norwich are a yo yo club between the Premier League & Championship
Makes you wonder what the 3 promoted teams from the Championship have to do to stay in the Premier League & remain competitive

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location

Las Mustardes!! Olay!!! !!

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London

I'm unsure if its realistically feasible to compare like with like here with these two leagues. . In La Liga clubs also have transfer caps to contend with.

Apr 30, 2011
Would people not think some of the best players in this league are on 4-5k a week?

Given we can’t afford this l think our model is pretty obvious. We are looking for rough diamonds we can polish up. Like your Camara’s and Scarr’s. People that the stats say there is some potential but they maybe not consistent enough.

The problem is football fans aren’t patient. Argyle fans aren’t any different. The crowds maybe 10k currently but if they don’t see progress it will dwindle back to the hard core numbers. I remember the championship. Crowds were great at first. 16k. Then as we struggled it dwindled.

Maybe we just are a league one club that unfortunately given our location will struggle to attract the players we need to be a sustainable championship club. Without a wealthy benefactor willing to pump money into this football club in obscene amounts (like a Landsdown at Bristol City) lm not sure how we can be a sustainable championship club. Look at what Bristol City spend just to tread water in that league.

Unless the financial rules in football change so everyone is playing on the same level l can’t see how we compete above this level. Not to say we can’t make the championship but l think we would be like a Rotherham where at best we would yo-yo between championship and league one.

I think Mr Hallett has realised this and from the outset, has been focused on increasing our non match day income. That is the bit where his expertise, finances and leadership can make the difference. We haven't been able to see the financial impact of the redevelopment of the grandstand yet in terms of non match day income. Could we be a sustainable Championship club with 15k fans every home game, selling one of our best players each season and with concerts, weddings etc taking place at HP on non match days. Possibly.