Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 123 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
Looking at his record I'm not sure WHY we would be interested.
Free agent British strikers that could do a job for us in League 1 is, unsurprisingly, a very short list, and at least 3 of them would have been on 5 figure salaries per week until very recently, so it depends on whether they're prepared to get 'fixed up' for a much smaller salary (extremely unlikely). For what it's worth;

Hal Robson-Kanu
Connor Wickham
Jerome Sinclair

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing (more of a winger, but, you know, could play upfront!)
Kieran Agard (been mentioned numerously already, a proven track record in League 1)

Sep 15, 2020
But I'd guess that you have absolutely no idea whether this is actually how Argyle operated...

I'm not saying, at all, that Argyle are immune from criticism on this, or any other, front, but I don't think it is fair to criticize the club for acting (or not acting) in a specific manner when for all we know they didn't (or did!). There are so many factors at play here and it's just too easy for us to pile in with criticisms based on out own guesses of what actually happened (or didn't!).
I agree totally on this.I am sure that most of the critics on here have no idea what has been going on behind the scenes and if our chairman were to read some of the negative comments he would wonder why he bothers . The season is in its very early stages so lets leave any moaning to nearer the end of the year if its justified then

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Free agent British strikers that could do a job for us in League 1 is, unsurprisingly, a very short list, and at least 3 of them would have been on 5 figure salaries per week until very recently, so it depends on whether they're prepared to get 'fixed up' for a much smaller salary (extremely unlikely). For what it's worth;

Hal Robson-Kanu
Connor Wickham
Jerome Sinclair

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing (more of a winger, but, you know, could play upfront!)j
Kieran Agard (been mentioned numerously already, a proven track record in League 1)

(From earlier in the thread) ....
Plus Nicky Ajose who was at Bury with Lowe and Aramide Oteh who has been released by QPR.

Reactions: RKB
Jul 28, 2020
But I'd guess that you have absolutely no idea whether this is actually how Argyle operated...

I'm not saying, at all, that Argyle are immune from criticism on this, or any other, front, but I don't think it is fair to criticize the club for acting (or not acting) in a specific manner when for all we know they didn't (or did!). There are so many factors at play here and it's just too easy for us to pile in with criticisms based on out own guesses of what actually happened (or didn't!).
Oh dear 🙃

But I don’t think anybody is criticising “ the club for ….not acting …based on our own guesses…”

The facts speak for themselves- as stated in my post- “ we have only two fit senior strikers in a formation which requires two fit senior striker”..

So if it’s quite alright with you 🙃 I’ll continue to support the club as much as I can, but when I think they should be criticised ( as in this case) I’ll also do that ….

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I think Mr Wrench was referring to squad players rather than the ‘stars’ Tuggers.

The most amazing thing I was told was that DM was paid as much as GC10 and Lameiras combined! o_O

Mar 14, 2009
The thing is we can’t afford to get in players that are established for league one football. So we need a head coach, they aren’t managers any more, who can play a system successful to the type of calibre of players we can afford.

lm all for playing out the back, instead of hoofing it down the line. However, we just aren’t in the market for those players who can play out from the back, and make their passes in a consistent and accurate way. Don’t get me wrong. Wilson, Scarr and Galloway are much improved on our back 3 of last season. However, when you asking lower league defenders to break a press l think your asking a hell of a lot.

People think lm being ridiculously negative. Even very repetitIve with my posts. They are right. Yet it’s because we are asking for the ridiculous in terms of playing out from the back. It’s brave. I will give Lowe that. Yet as the season unfolds we will lose games in a silly fashion because of trying to play out from the back. Now as an Argyle fan if you can accept that promotion in this way is unlikely then that’s fine. Yet how many fans will honestly accept this?

Look at the type of sides that get promoted. Rotherham, Hull, Luton, Barnsley, Millwall and Blackpool. They all play their football but they play it in the opposition half, and not their own. Everyone thought Bradley was a good defender. And he was. Yet imagine him trying to play it out from the back. And there is the issue l feel.

Reactions: leeroy221

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I get we have a budget etc and quite rightly, it should never be breached but why oh why would we identify targets that are realistically out of our range in terms or wages or length of contracts?

Surely this is the early enquiry details we should obtain before submitting a genuine interest?

It’s like waiting to buy a car for 7k knowing you only have a maximum of 3k. Surely you would identify the cars in and around the 4K mark?

How can we be disappointed at the eleventh hour to find out wages would be an issue or length of contracts?

Anyway… we move on and pray that we look after the players we have now. I think a change of formation may well be a blessing in disguise because we have some very good options from the forward thinking midfielders at the club.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
according to the know it all's on here we have a player who is on £5k a week he don't score many goals though.
I’m convinced we don’t have any players currently on £5k a week or more. If it’s Mayor that’s being referred to I’d guess he’s on no better contract than what he was on previously being now a 30 year old and he was apparently on £4,500 a week on his previous contract.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
If we do have players on 4-5k a week it’s a bizarre comment by Lowe to say we can’t afford those type of players.
Not really. If I had a Ferrari in my garage (I can neither confirm or deny it) and I wanted another car to pop to Tescos or move a wardrobe I probably wouldn't look at another Ferrari. I could sell the Ferrari and buy 4 or 5 new cars that would be practical but not have the same performance levels and certainly not so pleasing to my eye. Choices eh, choices? :unsure: