Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 126 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

Topboy

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 2, 2003
Plympton
Another piece from the Upshot that a few on here would think it's Argyle related: -

"To any of our supporters staying up late on transfer deadline day... We're skint, go to bed." - A tweet from Sheffield FC, the world's oldest football club.

;)

• Haha
Reactions: leeroy221
Jun 27, 2019
I KNOW this isn't about Argyle but it's English football related, and the money being thrown around it quite staggering......

A piece from today's Upshot: -

The transfer window spend of the Premier League's three promoted clubs - Watford, Norwich, Brentford - was more than La Liga's top three - Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid, Barcelona - combined. If Norwich played in Spain they would have been the biggest spenders in La Liga.
That's ignoring the fact that Real Madrid tried to spend £180m on Mbappe.

Reactions: leeroy221
Regarding the Championship and finances, we should remember that the season before last the average Championship loss was £11 million. Without a very rich owner we can only aspire to be a yo yo club, in the manner of Rotherham, and probably Wycombe for example. I personally wouldn’t mind this. Our expectations have to be realistic.

Reactions: Railway sleeper
Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
It would appear that the only rumours about potential signings now come from the manager and director of football and they prove to be just as reliable as the many Twitter accounts linking Argyle to players.
Why did Lowe and Dewsnip feel the need to go public with these rumours?
What rumours have come from RL and ND ?

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
What rumours have come from RL and ND ?

I know right? That one baffled me too?!
Ok Lowe spoke too soon and too candidly about 'definitely' getting one in but I can't recall him suggesting names.
Meanwhile loads of rumours were being bandied about by various football gossip sites so this 'the only rumours came from Lowe and Dewsnip' is a bit weird no?

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
agree 100 %
I have to say MGM’s post sums up my feelings too. It’s lovely to watch when it works but for it to work consistently you need a quality of player and passer from your back 3 that we don’t possess. Some Prem teams wouldn’t even take the risks we do. From the opening day of Lowe’s reign away at Crewe I’ve had my heart in my mouth on many occasions and to sustain that system effectively and with consistent results is mighty hard at our level. I certainly prefer watching when we go from back to front. But I certainly do not when we get pressed on our 18 yard box or miss a pass that puts us in peril. We will see, on balance, where it takes us with our new defensive lineup

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020
Regarding the Championship and finances, we should remember that the season before last the average Championship loss was £11 million. Without a very rich owner we can only aspire to be a yo yo club, in the manner of Rotherham, and probably Wycombe for example. I personally wouldn’t mind this. Our expectations have to be realistic.
Yes, I think that would be a laudable ambition to be a “yo-yo” club, as you described.That’s always been Argyle role historically anyway- it’s only in recent times that we’ve hovered between league 1 and league 2.

If we can make the infrastructure changes to help us “ grow our own” players - like we did back in the days when we had the lodge near to the ground ( I’m not suggesting we get another lodge by the way)- so that we can see players like Gary Meg son, Martin hodge, Kevin hodges, Leigh Cooper coming up through. I think we’re getting there - and there are some very encouraging signs coming out of the club at the moment.

when you read articles like the one in the Peterborough telegraph in which dara McDonough (?spelling) says he “ laughed out loud at a league 2 strikers demands” ( 2/9/21) during the current transfer window it makes you realise just how important a good youth policy and non- league acquisition programme as well, I would suggest, is to Argyle.

I do get frustrated with Argyle - but it’s only out of a sense that I want the club to achieve more- which I certainly think we’re well capable off. I’ve read recently that the number of signings league clubs have made from non league this transfer window is around 50 ( I forget the exact figure) - there is a link via bbc sport.I certainly think we’re missing a trick here, and should get back to the days when we had Bernie Godwin trawling the northern circuit for us- we need a new Bernie Godwin ! I do get particularly frustrated when I think of yannick Bolasie …. And how Wycombe signed young Gibraltar international Tjay de Barr this summer …. And I’m left thinking “ we should be signing players like that- why aren’t we ??? …. 🤔

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
I suppose it is always possible that he was a target, but Wycombe offered a greater salary.

Or that the player didn't want to be so far west.

Or... (add your own possible reason)

Reactions: Railway sleeper

leeroy221

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
May 10, 2015
That's ignoring the fact that Real Madrid tried to spend £180m on Mbappe.

And the fact that Barcelona have been spending sily money on transfers over a number of years now, like on Dembele. Coming home to bite them on the arse bow though.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
It will certainly take one hell of a lot of non-matchday trading revenue to generate sufficient profit to fund the average Championship club's seasonal trading loss of £11M!

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
We are now growing/developing and playing our own youth players. Is this better long term than bringing in a non league players or can we realistically do both ?

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
We are now growing/developing and playing our own youth players. Is this better long term than bringing in a non league players or can we realistically do both ?
I’d say we can do both.

Apr 30, 2011
It will certainly take one hell of a lot of non-matchday trading revenue to generate sufficient profit to fund the average Championship club's seasonal trading loss of £11M!
Well yes, but if we generate £1m extra from non match day income. Then spend that on 4 up and coming stars. Then sell three of them for £4M each. We will be £1M in profit. Simples.

Jul 28, 2020
Interesting question.

I think we must start from a point of gratitude- because we have a well run club with two capable individuals at the helm in Simon Hallett and Ryan Lowe. So my suggestions are offered by way of constructive feedback - from an older fan who has seen the high water marks and low water marks of the club through their recent history.

I think the youth development programme is very good- could it be developed further to the point it was around 2007? Yes I think it could. It was around that time we were ‘generating’ one or more first team players per year. We had Dan gosling, yannick bolasie, Ashley Barnes , Craig noone, Jason puncheon( purchased by paul sturrock from non- league Barnet), Jamie Mackie ( purchased from non- league Exeter) coming through….

I think there is a limit to the amount of first team players a programme based purely on apprentices can develop - to hit the heights of our 2007 system ( which of course had the benefit of being supported by championship money )- were going to need a non- league acquisition programme supported by scouts.

Although this implies greater expenditure, short term I believe that it would not only be self funding , but also generate profits ( from transfer fees received)in the medium term.

Unfortunately ( and no one is to blame here- because of the clubs financial troubles in recent times) we’ve allowed other clubs to “steal our clothes” I believe. There are already examples of what we should now be doing. Wimbledon’s purchase of Aaron Cosgrove from Lewes this summer, wycombe’s capture of young Gibraltar international Tjay De Barr from Gibraltar outfit Lincoln red imps, and perhaps the most impressive, in my opinion, Accrington’s capture of Tommy Leigh from isthmian premier league side Bognor Regis town ( in the seventh tier of the league pyramid). 21 year old Leigh is currently in Accrington’s first team. Accrington manager John Coleman is establishing a reputation for developing non- league talent. The “Lancashire Telegraph” ( 10.6.21) reports:” Stanley have had very recent success by bringing players in from non- league , strike duo Colby bishop and Dion Charles both making headlines for the reds since stepping up from the national league north….”

Aug 5, 2016
Well yes, but if we generate £1m extra from non match day income. Then spend that on 4 up and coming stars. Then sell three of them for £4M each. We will be £1M in profit. Simples.
So we just need to be impeccably successful in the transfer market, sell players for more than we ever have done in the last 130 years, and do it three times every summer.
I’m not sure if that is as simple as you’re making out.

Reactions: Penmaster