Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 127 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Well yes, but if we generate £1m extra from non match day income. Then spend that on 4 up and coming stars. Then sell three of them for £4M each. We will be £1M in profit. Simples.
Maths have probably moved on from my slate and chalk days but I cannot make sense of your £1million profit result explain ?

Reactions: leeroy221

max

Jan 5, 2012
PORTSMOUTH
What about this......get (buy someone) who can score bags of goals, win every match, get a full Home Park every match and watch the money roll in through the turnstiles, get to the top of the league, get to the Championship, job done!!

Aug 24, 2009
I do not think that the majority of the players on show against Newport will make a living from playing football. They are simply not good enough. The only players who will go onto better things is Lowe and Shirley. Randell, Jarrick, and Tomlinson are okay but they all need to be playing every weekend to develop. The remainder will be playing for Truro. The comment by Lowe that Argyle will have the best acadamy in Devon is just another example of him speaking a load of rubbish like the incomings which never happened. I look forward to supporters comments on my analysis especially from those keyboard warriors amongst us which I find rather amusing.

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: Emeraldinho and IJN
Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
I do not think that the majority of the players on show against Newport will make a living from playing football. They are simply not good enough. The only players who will go onto better things is Lowe and Shirley. Randell, Jarrick, and Tomlinson are okay but they all need to be playing every weekend to develop. The remainder will be playing for Truro. The comment by Lowe that Argyle will have the best acadamy in Devon is just another example of him speaking a load of rubbish like the incomings which never happened. I look forward to supporters comments on my analysis especially from those keyboard warriors amongst us which I find rather amusing.
How can you possibly come to that conclusion after just one game?

Majority of the players who played against Newport have years of development left on their side. Ridiculous comment.

What’s wrong with the ambition to have a better academy than Exeter’s? Why is that rubbish?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
It is not only Ryan Lowe saying that about our Academy. Neil Dewsnip, our Director of Football and England Youth coach for 6 years, is also convinced that this will happen.
I assume that by Lowe and Jarrick you mean Law and Garrick.
I would add Brandon Pursall to that list and also Ethan Mitchell.
On further reflection, Oscar Rutherford.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2006
What about this......get (buy someone) who can score bags of goals, win every match, get a full Home Park every match and watch the money roll in through the turnstiles, get to the top of the league, get to the Championship, job done!!
Never thought of that.

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Hey Charlieboy, good to see such a well thought out analysis of the younger players that Argyle are hoping to help develop to their best potential. Perhaps you could do a stand up presentation to the youngsters explaining exactly why they will all end up on the non league scrap heap, maybe as part of an overall motivational training session ?

Reactions: Wexford Green

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
What a truly outrageous comment to make- some of these young players are beginning their development journey & are clearly nowhere near the finished article but are being coached to be given the opportunity to showcase their talents & be in & around the first team

You are making crude & unjustified remarks about young lads aged between 15 to 18 ( that includes young Freddie) - what was you doing between those ages- was you signed up & in a football academy

Law, Randell, Tomlinson & to a degree Shirley are now in & around the 1st team so our Academy must be going in the right direction for these young players to be considered by the gaffer

Garrick is not even one off our players & he has been brought in on loan

You have seen one game- did you watch the game on Friday- where you would have seen more of the players you wish to belittle

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
What a truly outrageous comment to make- some of these young players are beginning their development journey & are clearly nowhere near the finished article but are being coached to be given the opportunity to showcase their talents & be in & around the first team

You are making crude & unjustified remarks about young lads aged between 15 to 18 ( that includes young Freddie) - what was you doing between those ages- was you signed up & in a football academy

Law, Randell, Tomlinson & to a degree Shirley are now in & around the 1st team so our Academy must be going in the right direction for these young players to be considered by the gaffer

Garrick is not even one off our players & he has been brought in on loan

You have seen one game- did you watch the game on Friday- where you would have seen more of the players you wish to belittle
Some people post purely to get a reaction...

Aug 24, 2009
I am not belittling anyone, I am simply saying what is my view, What we have to decide is whether we are running a kinder garden or planning and coaching players for the future,. when you have players who are in there teens and still struggling we have to decide whethe they are good enough. The yound lad who is only 15 and given a 20 minute cameo is obviously to soon to form an opinion. I do not sign up to all the hype surrounding young players because have we have seen over the years very few make it. You have got to be better than very good at this age because there are hundreds of teenagers who are the same. Generally you have to be special although there are occasions when there is the late developer.I do not see that special player at the moment, There are some good players but not good enough.

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
Interesting question.

I think we must start from a point of gratitude- because we have a well run club with two capable individuals at the helm in Simon Hallett and Ryan Lowe. So my suggestions are offered by way of constructive feedback - from an older fan who has seen the high water marks and low water marks of the club through their recent history.

I think the youth development programme is very good- could it be developed further to the point it was around 2007? Yes I think it could. It was around that time we were ‘generating’ one or more first team players per year. We had Dan gosling, yannick bolasie, Ashley Barnes , Craig noone, Jason puncheon( purchased by paul sturrock from non- league Barnet), Jamie Mackie ( purchased from non- league Exeter) coming through….

I think there is a limit to the amount of first team players a programme based purely on apprentices can develop - to hit the heights of our 2007 system ( which of course had the benefit of being supported by championship money )- were going to need a non- league acquisition programme supported by scouts.

Although this implies greater expenditure, short term I believe that it would not only be self funding , but also generate profits ( from transfer fees received)in the medium term.

Unfortunately ( and no one is to blame here- because of the clubs financial troubles in recent times) we’ve allowed other clubs to “steal our clothes” I believe. There are already examples of what we should now be doing. Wimbledon’s purchase of Aaron Cosgrove from Lewes this summer, wycombe’s capture of young Gibraltar international Tjay De Barr from Gibraltar outfit Lincoln red imps, and perhaps the most impressive, in my opinion, Accrington’s capture of Tommy Leigh from isthmian premier league side Bognor Regis town ( in the seventh tier of the league pyramid). 21 year old Leigh is currently in Accrington’s first team. Accrington manager John Coleman is establishing a reputation for developing non- league talent. The “Lancashire Telegraph” ( 10.6.21) reports:” Stanley have had very recent success by bringing players in from non- league , strike duo Colby bishop and Dion Charles both making headlines for the reds since stepping up from the national league north….”
I agree with your argument that relying academy is not enough, that non-league could be a rich enough seam to mine. If resources are provided to support a scouting network. I would say we have three good leaders, and would add Andrew Parkinson to your list.

Reactions: Railway sleeper