Plymouth Argyle manager Derek Adams bans Plymouth Live | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle manager Derek Adams bans Plymouth Live

Is Adams right in banning the Herald?

• Yes

Votes: 67 39.2%
  • No

Votes: 67 39.2%
  • Don't care

Votes: 37 21.6%

• Total voters
Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Bristol Rich":2fk04tnf said:
Nobby":2fk04tnf said:
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":2fk04tnf said:
The Doctor":2fk04tnf said:
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":2fk04tnf said:
We have an aging fan base, a number of which may rely on the Herald for their Argyle news. I know it seems mad to some but not everyone uses the Internet like us on here. Strange move that won't bring Adams and the fans any closer together.

It's not intended to do that though is it? It's surely intended to make Plymouth Live and The Herald re-think their policy on the kinds of Argyle-related content they produce. But whether it will do that is anyone's guess. It is at least AS likely that they will maintain their current stance because pretty obviously that is the general approach across the whole Plymouth Live website these days.

It's not the intention - no. However, it is a consequence. Just browsing through social media and it's not a roundly popular decision, whatever you think of Plymouth Live.

I think this is a case of Derek Adams being petulant personally and it's creating needless drama and conflict when we're not certain of our League One status next season.

So when we’re on a good run of form and everyone’s feeling more positive, what benefit does it do for the Herald to post a fairly critical article of the manager from a player who left two years ago? I’d describe that as pretty needless myself.

It was correct to question Adams after throwing away the lead twice on Saturday. The Herald is there to ask awkward questions not to just toady up to Adams.

I haven’t disputed that? I was talking about the interview with Daniel Nardiello published recently.

Timing is poor for me. Publish it in the summer. There’s also something called a right to response. They’re happy to post a load of critical quotes from an ex player on their website, an ex City player at that, but no sign that they asked Adams or Argyle for comment?

Apr 29, 2016
Stuart House":206g24oq said:
Knibbsworth":206g24oq said:
Stuart House":206g24oq said:
The Herald do write some absolute drivel, and trawling social media for 'Fans Views' to use as content makes me cringe...

... BUT - Adams is terrible at taking criticism, and thats not a good thing. Be it from fans when leaving the pitch (yobs - ironic after this weekend hey?) or whats written online.

Derek - you need to understand you are not the messiah and you're a very hard chap to like. Some times its not all about results, and I still maintain you are NOT the right manager for this club in the long run.

What has that got to do with deliberate negative clickbait reporting from an Exeter supporter?

Ban him then - I'm not disagreeing that the Herald right some absolute dross.

This is just another example of Adam's massive out of control ego.

Every team/city has a version of Plymouth Live - and they all right the same crap to get 'clicks'. The managers don't all throw their toys out the pram and ban them though.

Name me one other manager who has banned the Plymouth Live equivalent? I know in Bristol, Coughlan hasn't banned Bristol.live or the Bristol Post.

Newcastle, Port Vale, Rotherham, Notts Forest and that’s not researching it too much. It’s not as rare as you may think.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
A negotiating tactic perhaps, to bulldoze some refinement of Herald content, they'll be besties again come start of next season.

For the non-football start up business at Home Park, I'd have thought ensuring a good relationship with the one of the primary sources of local media was pretty important too.

Apr 29, 2016
CE is a good reporter but some of the other dross is just plain poor. I would be pretty upset if my job was publicised as terminated based on a computer game.

No doubt the recent stories are just the “last straw”. The Editor should also take responsibility for some of the stories rather than trying to hide behind the rights of a “community media” tag. It doesn’t deserve sticking up for!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Gary_Wills":23drorm2 said:
For the non-football start up business at Home Park, I'd have thought ensuring a good relationship with the one of the primary sources of local media was pretty important too.

I'm not sure. Much as I don't like social media, I think that will be more important. And word of mouth, local advertising (the Herald won't turn down ad money), direct pitching to businesses, TripAdvisor etc etc etc.

Feb 28, 2016
The Herald is the newspaper of record for the city, I’m a subscriber who reads all 6 editions a week. In my view anyone involved in city public life is morally obliged to engage with them, particularly outsiders such as Adams and Mercer.

I think the paper has been worried about this happening for sometime, they often seem far to easy with the management and chairmen in recent years.

As for Jak Ball, I went school with him and he is Argyle through and through and was supporting them at a time when there was about half a dozen of us in a year group of 200, just before the championship. He also has a job as a journalist to do and a boss he will need to please. Apart from the and I do concede, ridiculous story about FM, Jak has reported facts he hasn’t made up those criticisms or those twitter accounts.

Aug 13, 2009
I just do not like it when people start banning newspapers, free press and all that.
Newspapers are there to ask uncomfortable questions and
they are in a position to ask these questions where the ordinary supporter can't.
I agree that the FM story was ridiculous and the Herald's standard has plummeted but we still need them.
We don't want just a flag waving, cheer leading local paper, they are there for everyone, however uncomfortable that may get at times

Oct 20, 2015
There are several issues being conflated here:

1) Does the Herald engage in lowest common denominator journalism to attract attention to its advertisers? (Yes)
2) Is this any different to how other local newspapers operate in the UK? (No)
3) Is the Herald breaking the law, or even any club rules, in its reporting? (No)
4) Is Derek Adams trying to control media output, much as Trump would, by banning certain outlets? (Yes)

It's disgraceful behaviour by Adams. The better man would rise above it. He's thin skinned enough to let it rile him. If he has a problem with a story or journalist, call it out. Question it. Put across your viewpoint. Don't try to edit the editors.

An engaged and concerned chairman would step in now, reprimand Derek and apologise profusely to a past shirt sponsor.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Nobby":2ks61gh6 said:
Providing that Argyle pick up the slack and improve their output, then I don’t have a problem with this. Herald’s reporting has been getting worse by the season, barring Chris Errington.

Totally agree. Stuart James is particularly awful. Hopefully with less work on now maybe the Herald will need less journalists working for them.

May 16, 2016
santos73":31iqtvsa said:
I just do not like it when people start banning newspapers, free press and all that.
Newspapers are there to ask uncomfortable questions and
they are in a position to ask these questions where the ordinary supporter can't.
I agree that the FM story was ridiculous and the Herald's standard has plummeted but we still need them.
We don't want just a flag waving, cheer leading local paper, they are there for everyone, however uncomfortable that may get at times

There's asking questions and then there's making sh8te up based on a few post match Tweets and online comments by grumpy supporters. Chris Errington must be slightly embarrassed to be tarred by the same brush as some of his fellow employees.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
For me at least it appears there’s Not much of a reason for me to look at the Herald/Plymouth live now - I only checked them for Argyle related news, so might as well just stick to the official site, here on p@soti and southwest sports news.