Plymouth Argyle manager Derek Adams bans Plymouth Live | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle manager Derek Adams bans Plymouth Live

Is Adams right in banning the Herald?

• Yes

Votes: 67 39.2%
  • No

Votes: 67 39.2%
  • Don't care

Votes: 37 21.6%

• Total voters

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
+1 for that Knibs post.

I’d also add that the average lifespan for managers now is about a year. Which tells me three main things...

1) this game is NOT easy and it’s a hell of an achievement to be in your post and be relatively successful for four years. And the second highest win percentage in modern times has to be relative success in anyone’s book.

2) there isn’t this silver bullet manager out there who will suddenly come in and do much better and be more attacking etc etc than DA. The chances of him doing that AND having the same long term approach to Argyle is virtually nil, in this environment of managerial merry go rounds.

3) we are on the right track with our long term and sensible approach, which will be our USP against bigger and more unstable clubs. Chucking all that away in the vague hope that the next man might be a bit better would be a fools errand and our likely undoing.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
A very well balanced and realistic post from Knibbsworth. It seems pretty clear that the stand refurbishment has had to take additional funds and the playing budget has suffered a little. I would guess the club just wanted to do enough to maintain League 1 status while the job was finished. I don't expect the budget to be very much more next season but I think questions will be asked by many if next close season Adams isn't given a reasonable increase for the 2020/2021season. Whilst I don't care greatly for his general demeanour and charm in public, which to be honest shouldn't be our main concern, I think he should be admired for taking the longer term view and as has been previously mentioned how many other managers would want to take the shorter term view rather than build solid foundations, So many things were neglected for so many years following administration but we are now starting to see many issues addressed with improvements to training facilities, youth development, better fixtures for the reserves, improvements in the concourses and of course a soon to be refurbished grandstand which will bring facilities we could never have imagined 6 or 7 years ago. It won't be perfect I know, we would have all liked filled in corners with the magic 20,000 seats but again that might not be a bad thing to put on hold should safe standing be allowed in the future as that would further increase any additional capacity.
Back on topic, yes some of the headlines were pretty crass and unhelpful but perhaps Adams should have risen above it? He is after all in an industry which comes with plenty of plaudits in the good times.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
There are not many posts on here that even DA would do well to read. This one by Knibbsworth would be worth someone pointing out to him.
It contains several genuine, balanced and relevant criticisms but also highlights his strengths and the attributes that he brings to our club.
Over to you, HC Green; you are hoping to speak to him today.

Oct 31, 2015
Knibbsworth":cwwor7cn said:
I have disagreed with DA on a few aspects of his management, but nothing severe.

I thought letting go of Jimmy Spencer was a mistake.
I thought signing Goodwillie, Nardiello, Church and any other striker who can't play up front alone well was a waste of budget.
I thought last season we were overly reliant on Ryan Taylor and DA was careless in developing his striking options. One decent striker to get us through a season?
I was sad to see McCormick go, Purrington and Jervis too.
I took one look at Scott Wootton and thought what have we wasted a contract on here.
I could go on forever really, I am hardly a thoughtless dummy with no thoughts of my own.

However i can have my own thoughts without deciding I am right and the manager is wrong, and try to undermine and belittle him all the time.

I am quite satisfied DA rocked up at our club and chose Argyle as his project. He moved here and committed to us, unlike Sheridan. He signs long terms contracts and has his eyes on moving this club up the table, not the job centre or with one eye on where else he could be, again like Sheridan or Holloway.

I like that Adams made the club a fortune in player sales and cup runs but insists the training ground and Mayflower redevelopment get priority. That is a manager who cares about the club's health in 10 and 20 years, not in boosting his reputation with taking every penny for the playing squad. How many other managers would do this?

He signs long term contracts and he's loyal to us. He gets dogs abuse from supporters like yourself and his lowest finish in three seasons is 7th - a division above where he found us.

So I think a bit of perspective is needed every time you attack him and I am more than glad to add a but of perspective every time you post like he is dragging us down. He isn't. We are a club of small means which is going to lose good players like Sonny Bradley and Oscar Threlkeld every time another club offers £300 a week more than us or an extra year. Scouts watch us play, they see Carey and Lameiras and can offer them treble what we can in the click of their fingers. That's life, small fish get swallowed by bigger fish. We are going to have big player turnover, we are going to have to rebuild every season.

I think all things considered, with the long term health of the club and DA's ability to get results out of lowly paid journeymen and an unglamourous budget, he's the best realistic chance we have got of progressing as a club.

I also think fans like yourself put too much trust in your own opinion, you dream too much, and don't realise that when you roll the dice for a new manager he could just as likely be much poorer than better. And take us down before he ever takes us up. Southend, Oxford, Bradford...there are some clubs spending more than Argyle that are doing no better than Adams and his bargain bin motley crew.

Well as a DA out supporter and not remain (same as my political views :). ) this is a very good point of view from a remainer and worth reading. I can't argue with the good points put forward tbh. I have plenty against DA but that's not for this topic.

Well done knibbs

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
rsp4":tj5glnj0 said:
Knibbsworth":tj5glnj0 said:
I have disagreed with DA on a few aspects of his management, but nothing severe.

I thought signing Goodwillie, Nardiello, Church and any other striker who can't play up front alone well was a waste of budget.
I thought last season we were overly reliant on Ryan Taylor and DA was careless in developing his striking options. One decent striker to get us through a season?
I took one look at Scott Wootton and thought what have we wasted a contract on here.
I could go on forever really, I am hardly a thoughtless dummy with no thoughts of my own.

However i can have my own thoughts without deciding I am right and the manager is wrong, and try to undermine and belittle him all the time.

I am quite satisfied DA rocked up at our club and chose Argyle as his project. He moved here and committed to us, unlike Sheridan. He signs long terms contracts and has his eyes on moving this club up the table, not the job centre or with one eye on where else he could be, again like Sheridan or Holloway.

I like that Adams made the club a fortune in player sales and cup runs but insists the training ground and Mayflower redevelopment get priority. That is a manager who cares about the club's health in 10 and 20 years, not in boosting his reputation with taking every penny for the playing squad. How many other managers would do this?

He signs long term contracts and he's loyal to us. He gets dogs abuse from supporters like yourself and his lowest finish in three seasons is 7th - a division above where he found us.

So I think a bit of perspective is needed every time you attack him and I am more than glad to add a but of perspective every time you post like he is dragging us down. He isn't. We are a club of small means which is going to lose good players like Sonny Bradley and Oscar Threlkeld every time another club offers £300 a week more than us or an extra year. Scouts watch us play, they see Carey and Lameiras and can offer them treble what we can in the click of their fingers. That's life, small fish get swallowed by bigger fish. We are going to have big player turnover, we are going to have to rebuild every season.

I think all things considered, with the long term health of the club and DA's ability to get results out of lowly paid journeymen and an unglamourous budget, he's the best realistic chance we have got of progressing as a club.

I also think fans like yourself put too much trust in your own opinion, you dream too much, and don't realise that when you roll the dice for a new manager he could just as likely be much poorer than better. And take us down before he ever takes us up. Southend, Oxford, Bradford...there are some clubs spending more than Argyle that are doing no better than Adams and his bargain bin motley crew.

Well as a DA out supporter and not remain (same as my political views :). ) this is a very good point of view from a remainer and worth reading. I can't argue with the good points put forward tbh. I have plenty against DA but that's not for this topic.

Well done knibbs

That’s one ‘turned’... well done Knibbs, the force is strong with you ;)

Oct 31, 2015
JannerinCardiff":zpq2nq7p said:
rsp4":zpq2nq7p said:
Knibbsworth":zpq2nq7p said:

Well done knibbs

Hmm no not turned!!!!!!

Just like reading a decent opposite view to mine instead of "in DA we trust dross".

Good conversation over different opinions is a very good thing to have. People can without getting hot under the collar :)

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
rsp4":76gtqpef said:
JannerinCardiff":76gtqpef said:
rsp4":76gtqpef said:
Knibbsworth":76gtqpef said:

Well done knibbs

Hmm no not turned!!!!!!

Just like reading a decent opposite view to mine instead of "in DA we trust dross".

Good conversation over different opinions is a very good thing to have. People can without getting hot under the collar :)
Respect for your response to Knibbsworth’s post, rsp4.
Not seen any of the other ‘Adams out’ brigade challenging what he said.
Not ‘turning’ but still ‘tolerating’, eh?

A good argument Mr Knibbs. If you take into account the players we lose at the end of each season, it's not really that surprising that we'll take a while to get the new players gelled into a team. That could take maybe a couple of months into the next season.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
rsp4":3rx2bot7 said:
JannerinCardiff":3rx2bot7 said:
rsp4":3rx2bot7 said:
Knibbsworth":3rx2bot7 said:

Well done knibbs

Hmm no not turned!!!!!!

I know mate, only teasing! It’ll take a lot more to move you from ‘tolerant’ to being a DA supporter..

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Bermudian Green":1g0lr93d said:
A good argument Mr Knibbs. If you take into account the players we lose at the end of each season, it's not really that surprising that we'll take a while to get the new players gelled into a team. That could take maybe a couple of months into the next season.

I don’t expect us to pay much in the way of transfer fees but Hopefully once we start seeing the additional revenue generated by the grandstand refurb we can at least have more chance to keep hold of our better players..