Our rivalry with Wycombe | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Our rivalry with Wycombe

Aug 5, 2015
I agree it isn’t a rivalry. So a former manager of ours refused to shake hands with Ainsworth, big deal. So they waste time at any and every opportunity- so do a lot of other teams. We may dread playing them because of the lack of football and despise their antics but that’s hardly a rivalry. We know what to expect. We just need to learn to play them at their own game.

stewthenoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 24, 2005
YELVERTON
3 games is a very short sample period to compare but even so in a winning position Wycombe waste on average 1 whole minute per game more than Argyle. In my opinion it hardly warrants the hysteria some have over Wycombe.
...But that is the OFFICIAL added on time. I have yet to see a referee that adds on the true time that these dark art teams waste.

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
...But that is the OFFICIAL added on time. I have yet to see a referee that adds on the true time that these dark art teams waste.
But we don't know the breakdown of the time added on.
I would imagine that refs have meetings to discuss such tactics of the various teams and suggest that the increased amount of added time for Wycombe games reflect this.

Aug 5, 2016
We could have a whole new pre-match set list for the home Wycombe game.
Some of these suggestions back to back (as the players are warming up) would be priceless.

I would add ‘Sugar We’re Going Down’ by Fall Out Boy 😂

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2016
Adebayo Akinfenwa (The Beast) is a real character and our defence has really struggled to cope with him.
He will probably come on as a sub and it will be interesting to see how Scarr and Wilson deal with him.

Our defenders that have struggled with him previously have been nowhere near as good in the air as those two.

J Y Kelly

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 14, 2006
Always enjoyed Akinfenwa at HP as he seemed to engage with the crowd and not take himself too seriously.. Remember when he endured a half of "One more pasty and you're dead" and waved to the crowd when subbed. Also saw him shove Bradley in the back and score (or set up) a goal for Wycombe at Christmas a few years back. Is he annoying? Yes. Would I like him to play for us? He'll yes. Would it happen? No, because he probably wouldn't come down this far. As for Wycombe, I loathe having to watch them, much the same as I despair when certain refs turn up, but what can you do? The only way to beat them is to beat them.

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
To me Wycombe are not a rival. I just don’t aesthetically enjoy watching them. It does, however, add sweetness to the victory when we win. When they eventually change their manager I will probably enjoy watching them more.

We often talk about the disparity in playing budgets, it is a very good example that someone like Wycombe can get to the Championship. And so can we.

Reactions: saxman

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Our defenders that have struggled with him previously have been nowhere near as good in the air as those two.
I hope that you are right, it’s not only in the air that we have struggled with him.
In 2015/16, he scored a winner at Home Park in the 88th minute to, effectively. secure their position In the 4th playoff spot. He then came on as a sub at Wembley in the 76th minute, Lyle Taylor gave Wimbledon the lead in the 78th minute and Akinfenwa converted a penalty in stoppage time to secure the win. Our defence included Hartley and Nelson.
In 2016/17, he had moved to Wycombe. Over the Christmas period, we took a 3-1 lead in the 56th minute but Akinfenwa scored in the 59th minute and then they equalised in stoppage time. This result, effectively, cost us the title won by Portsmouth. Our defence included Bradley and Songo’o.
Fortunately, we have not faced Wycombe in the latest 2 seasons. Akinfenwa is 39 now but he still gives me nightmares.
Having said that, he is a character and the game needs players like him.

Reactions: NLG
May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
I find it quite amusing that there are two threads running, this one slating everything tiny Wycombe and therefore Ainsworth stands for and another where some defend Pulis pragmatic sh1thousery style. Pulis has worked with far bigger budgets than Ainsworth, who in my opinion has worked minor miracles with his team.

And any road, Ainsworth rocks a far better hair style 🥴