Our rivalry with Wycombe | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Our rivalry with Wycombe

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Wasn't he the keeper who went down for 5 minutes, refused to be subbed then took a GK and immediately went down again, thus wasting another 5 minutes?

Meanwhile Reid missed an open goal out of sympathy (he claims).

As others have said, they're well known for wasting time once they have the lead. It was just like Cambridge the other week, so many players had pretended to be injured when one actually was he was booed.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I remember a few years ago when the head injury rule was introduced and referee's had to stop games when a player had a head injury the Wycombe players would go down injured holding their head, (usually at a time when Argyle were having a good spell in the game) the ref would quite rightly stop play and allow the physio to come on who promptly treated a leg injury!

• Haha
Reactions: saxman
Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
didn't they once have a player who was "injured" but played on as they had possession, the second Argyle won the ball back they demanded the ref halt the game to deal with the "injury"

D

Deleted member 9145

It was that game at Adams park. They scored in the first half and that was it, play acting, kicking the ball away, going down on the far side of the pitch so the trainer has to wander across over slowly.

The keeper went down 3 times from nothing challenges and had prolonged treatment. On one occasion just as he was getting on his feet one of their players booted the ball down to the far corner flag which took another minute to retrieve. There were 9 added minutes I think but even that was a farce.

For the rest of the season if they were winning or even drawing they were the last game to finish with 10 minutes regularly added. They did come a cropper against Sunderland I think with a losing goal conceded in the 13th added minute.

it was all perfectly choreographed and practiced, it wasn’t gamesmanship it was just well cheating. I said id never go there again but revenge may be sweet.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Football 365 highlight the goalkeeper's injury as bad taste from the Argyle fans but fail to mention the Wycombe player who conveniently rolled back onto the pitch.....
He actually got up from being ‘injured’ off the pitch, walked a couple of paces onto the pitch, and then laid down in apparent agony. It happened right in front of me.

McQ

May 10, 2005
Plymouth
He actually got up from being ‘injured’ off the pitch, walked a couple of paces onto the pitch, and then laid down in apparent agony. It happened right in front of me.
Can't remember the specific game but 1 player...jacobson I think, who from very early on in the game looked like he would be unable to contiiue or even leave the pitch on his own and only a stretcher would suffice. He struggled on 'suffering' for his team!!!! On face value you would think he would need medical intervention/resuscitation. As the game progressed he experienced lazarus levels of recovery!!! And was running strong as they chased an equaliser ( I think). As others have said it is difficult to have any sympathy for an injured player as you can't determine who is genuinely hurt... the boy who cried wolf almost. Reap what they sow in that regard.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Adams didn't help us against them with his antics. His non-handshaking and stupid big-baby chicanery about their performance tracking vests (now used by most clubs) and usual post match dummy-spitting just elongated the whole thing.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Rubbish! Anything that gets up their noses is fine by most of us.

Silly little club. Even their nickname is daft!

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Meh.
I'd rather we beat them by scoring a couple of quick fire early goals than having our manager get into an unseemly spat after they've taken the points.
Always thought they were ok before.
They even once had the great Cyrille Regis up top against us, who, unsurprisingly scored twice in a 2 aller at Home Park.
I also enjoyed their cup run under Laurie Sanchez

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Pedlar

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
I cant be doing with the love in concerning the Beast (Sky in particular)- there is absolutely nothing attractive about that football club in fact i would describe them as the mother in law from hell

When we have the misfortune of playing them we should have a competition - how much injury time will be added on at the end

We play them at home on a Tuesday night so you will be lucky if you dont leave the stadium before midnight !!!!!!!!!

I suppose each manager plays in a different way but at least we would have had a dry run with Gillingham & Cambridge before we play the Kings of the Dark Arts

It will be interesting to see how our defence deal with the beast & no doubt RL will be fully aware of the anti football Wycombe play & he will relish the challenge

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Adebayo Akinfenwa (The Beast) is a real character and our defence has really struggled to cope with him.
He will probably come on as a sub and it will be interesting to see how Scarr and Wilson deal with him.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
As UTL has said, what we need to do is to score first against them, then their 'game plan' becomes unstuck. Problem is can't remember how long ago I've seen that against them. I can remember us having to batter them for about 80 minutes to (maybe) force a draw.

Probably only in my mind, but that's how I remember them.

Truly awful club, team, board and fans. That bleddy car park!!

Ainsworth does my head in. He interviews as a friendly, rational human being, and it would be churlish not to admire what he has achieved, saving Wycombe from dropping out of the efl on the last day of the season, and then resurrecting them.

However his team clearly operates under very specific instructions from coaching staff when it come to feigning injury and general time wasting. I can’t believe it’s something that their players naturally do as a group of their own accord. As a consequence I hate the club, as I did Cambridge under Beck, and Stevenage under Graham Wesley.

Last edited: