Michael Cooper "Going Nowhere" {Schuey 13/10/22} | Page 27 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Michael Cooper "Going Nowhere" {Schuey 13/10/22}

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
We know Argyle's valuation of Michael Cooper. It is two grand per week. If I was his agent and was aware that the club were suggesting his transfer value was between £5-10m, then that will be a good starting point when contract renewal comes around. I'd be expecting my player to be offered the salary of a £5-10m player.
How do you know what Michael Coopers weekly wage is?? Evidence please, otherwise it’s a fake news post.

Apr 4, 2004
So LC what you saying is the size of Argyle or any other clubs playing budget has a baring on their players value. That really does sound like the kind of absurd nonsense dreamt up by the richer clubs.

Also does it follow that Cooper would have a higher transfer value if he was at Ipswich on 10,000 a week,
Maybe you are right but his wages don’t determine his talent and his potential and that to me is what mostly determines what he’ll go for along with his contract length and of course where he wants to be and if he’s prepared to force the move.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
We know Argyle's valuation of Michael Cooper. It is two grand per week. If I was his agent and was aware that the club were suggesting his transfer value was between £5-10m, then that will be a good starting point when contract renewal comes around. I'd be expecting my player to be offered the salary of a £5-10m player.

That logic is totally wrong. Argyle are paying him 2k (or whatever it is) a week because that’s all they can reasonably afford, not because they think he’s a League 1/2 player. All parties will be aware that Cooper’s long term future will be away from Home Park and that Argyle can’t remotely afford to pay 20k+ a week, so that sort of wage negotiation would be a non-starter and not even in the minds of the player and his agent.

By that logic, then Swansea were paying Flynn Downes c80k a week, as he’s just gone to West Ham for £12m. The bigger factor is the potential of Downes, the ability of West Ham to easily spend that sort of money and the fact that he had three years on his Swansea contract.

Premier League clubs are so vastly wealthy that £5-10m is nothing to them, and it’s especially nothing when they can get a future England keeper for that fee. That wealth is much more of a factor in big transfer fees than the Bosman ruling and current wages.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Just a thought, but does anyone think it might be a good idea that Argyle offer Michael Cooper a contract extension for 2-3 more years on improved terms??

Jun 27, 2019
That logic is totally wrong. Argyle are paying him 2k (or whatever it is) a week because that’s all they can reasonably afford, not because they think he’s a League 1/2 player. All parties will be aware that Cooper’s long term future will be away from Home Park and that Argyle can’t remotely afford to pay 20k+ a week, so that sort of wage negotiation would be a non-starter and not even in the minds of the player and his agent.

By that logic, then Swansea were paying Flynn Downes c80k a week, as he’s just gone to West Ham for £12m. The bigger factor is the potential of Downes, the ability of West Ham to easily spend that sort of money and the fact that he had three years on his Swansea contract.

Premier League clubs are so vastly wealthy that £5-10m is nothing to them, and it’s especially nothing when they can get a future England keeper for that fee. That wealth is much more of a factor in big transfer fees than the Bosman ruling and current wages.
It isn't totally wrong.

If a club came in for Cooper and were quoted £5m then that would make him Argyle's most valuable player. His agent would expect him to be paid a salary to reflect that. That doesn't mean he should be paid what other £5m players are paid at other clubs, but Mr 10% would expect his client to become the highest paid player at our club.

It's fairly logical, too. It doesn't really make sense for your most valuable asset to be, say, your tenth highest earner.

Reactions: Lundan Cabbie
May 8, 2011
I
Just a thought, but does anyone think it might be a good idea that Argyle offer Michael Cooper a contract extension for 2-3 more years on improved terms??
i doubt he would accept it, as at the end of his current contract he will be 24 so he can then just walk away for free.
By being a free agent he won’t cost his new Club anything so he will be able to negotiate a much better personal terms.
So in the next two years Argyle may be forced to transfer list him or see a potentially valuable asset leave for nothing.

Reactions: notwop

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
It isn't totally wrong.

If a club came in for Cooper and were quoted £5m then that would make him Argyle's most valuable player. His agent would expect him to be paid a salary to reflect that. That doesn't mean he should be paid what other £5m players are paid at other clubs, but Mr 10% would expect his client to become the highest paid player at our club.

It's fairly logical, too. It doesn't really make sense for your most valuable asset to be, say, your tenth highest earne

If a club comes in for him for £5m or whatever it is, I think the last thing on Cooper or his agent’s mind is a new contract with Argyle. They’ll be negotiating wages with the new club, that are likely to be 10x what Argyle can afford.

I agree that if no-one comes in for him, then he should get a new contract befitting his status, both because he deserves it and to maximise the future transfer fee. But I was disagreeing with the logic of his wages being relevant in a transfer, and that Argyle don’t value him because he’s not getting what a £10m player gets.

Jun 27, 2019
If a club comes in for him for £5m or whatever it is, I think the last thing on Cooper or his agent’s mind is a new contract with Argyle. They’ll be negotiating wages with the new club, that are likely to be 10x what Argyle can afford.

I agree that if no-one comes in for him, then he should get a new contract befitting his status, both because he deserves it and to maximise the future transfer fee. But I was disagreeing with the logic of his wages being relevant in a transfer, and that Argyle don’t value him because he’s not getting what a £10m player gets.
That is also true. This probably applies more to players at bigger clubs, who would use a transfer approach as leverage to get an improved contract.

At our level it's much more likely that the player (and/or his agent) will just force the move through.

Reactions: Biggs
Feb 8, 2005
There is no doubt in my mind that Cooper will remain with us for this season and that he will be offered a new contract before the end of the year, just as the Club have with Pan.

This is the strategy that the Club have begun and whether he goes or not will be decided by who comes in for him and whether they are willing to pay Argyles valuation, either now or later on.

It will be interesting to see how Pan goes with his contract negotiations, if indeed there are any, and whether that has any relevance to Cooper as his contract runs down.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
I

i doubt he would accept it, as at the end of his current contract he will be 24 so he can then just walk away for free.
By being a free agent he won’t cost his new Club anything so he will be able to negotiate a much better personal terms.
So in the next two years Argyle may be forced to transfer list him or see a potentially valuable asset leave for nothing.
Maybe the club have a clause to extend his contract as they did with Pan .

Sep 6, 2006
Think the club need to also consider Coopers worth in our aspirations to reach the championship. He’s the best keeper in our division and also the best player in our squad imo. If we are to get to the championship we need him - the amount of points he got us all on his own last season with incredible saves just about every match was stupid.
Don't agree. We can invest the money on strengthening all round. We can't just rely on a keeper.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
And his chances of accepting them it are.....
Doubtless he would take professional advice. However if wanting to advance his career he would doubtless also want to acknowledge the coaching and help provided by Argyle down the years. If he signs an improved contract it does mean that any future sale contract consideration would be inflated by the unexpired value. this would be beneficial to Argyle.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth