Michael Cooper "Going Nowhere" {Schuey 13/10/22} | Page 20 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Michael Cooper "Going Nowhere" {Schuey 13/10/22}

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
So there would be no logic to it. He may or may not play in Prem League, for England. Too early to say but I'd say he certainly has the potential and can't find any reason(neither it seems can Lancaster) to say he definitely couldn't.
And I agree with you, If he makes it I will be as happy as anyone but sometimes you just get a feeling something won't happen and maybe it's about keeping grounded rather than over excited like a few on here?
If all our players could reach the top it would be amazing but they aren't and currently neither is Cooper, I will keep hoping whilst remaining grounded with the thought that as it stands he's just a league one keeper which is a long way from England duty!

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
And I agree with you, If he makes it I will be as happy as anyone but sometimes you just get a feeling something won't happen and maybe it's about keeping grounded rather than over excited like a few on here?
If all our players could reach the top it would be amazing but they aren't and currently neither is Cooper, I will keep hoping whilst remaining grounded with the thought that as it stands he's just a league one keeper which is a long way from England duty!

I agree with this. There is bags of talent in there and one can only see progression but these are huge steps being discussed here. For me - and to be noted only from watching from afar - whilst improved I still think he needs to be more commanding of his area, particularly on crosses and you can’t add the inch or two extra height that most top goalkeepers have. He is developing a presence as well but I wonder if he would take that confidence when plunged in to a team of better, more experienced players or would he be overwhelmed?

The truth is no-one really knows. A great prospect and potentially a very bright future ahead of him, but there are so many variables with goalkeepers anything could happen and confidence is key. I recall Loris Karius being seen as future world class by Liverpool. One poor high profile game and sadly he’d probably be lucky to get a Championship contract. Confidence shot, profile in tatters.

Nothing is given, I genuinely wish the best for him though.

Sep 6, 2006
I agree with this. There is bags of talent in there and one can only see progression but these are huge steps being discussed here. For me - and to be noted only from watching from afar - whilst improved I still think he needs to be more commanding of his area, particularly on crosses and you can’t add the inch or two extra height that most top goalkeepers have. He is developing a presence as well but I wonder if he would take that confidence when plunged in to a team of better, more experienced players or would he be overwhelmed?

The truth is no-one really knows. A great prospect and potentially a very bright future ahead of him, but there are so many variables with goalkeepers anything could happen and confidence is key. I recall Loris Karius being seen as future world class by Liverpool. One poor high profile game and sadly he’d probably be lucky to get a Championship contract. Confidence shot, profile in tatters.

Nothing is given, I genuinely wish the best for him though.
Genuine question. How many times did you see him last season Frank?

Frank Butcher

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Genuine question. How many times did you see him last season Frank?

Can’t be bothered to count exactly but I would estimate 10-12 spread across the season - as I qualified above, watching from afar.

That doesn’t allow me to actually see him for 90 minutes but obviously I see the most important bits. I’ve seen progression but room for improvement in some areas as you would expect at his age.

Sep 6, 2006
Can’t be bothered to count exactly but I would estimate 10-12 spread across the season - as I qualified above, watching from afar.

That doesn’t allow me to actually see him for 90 minutes but obviously I see the most important bits. I’ve seen progression but room for improvement in some areas as you would expect at his age.
Hmmm. Difficult to judge by highlights. Anyway I don't see many weaknesses in his game and his distribution is good which is an essential these days. Seems of good character also so should keep learning and improving.

Reactions: mkitts

Frank Butcher

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Hmmm. Difficult to judge by highlights. Anyway I don't see many weaknesses in his game and his distribution is good which is an essential these days. Seems of good character also so should keep learning and improving.

Not all highlights. But thinking about it you can add highlights to the number.

Anyway, IMHO many people get carried away with shot stopping keepers and think they’re the next big thing. Easy to get seduced by the spectacular. But early season I thought he was quite poor on crosses at times and showed some positional unawareness as well as lacking command of his area. The latter points are not surprising given his age, the former point is more problematic.

From my limited vantage point, I would say there has been improvement in all those areas. Far fewer errors now combined with excellent shot stopping and distribution. Crosses though I would still be concerned as a scout at the highest level. And confidence at a higher level? He seems a level headed chap, without being personal almost like the quiet one in school really. So could he boss around better, more experienced pros? Who knows?

So we have good progression but if I was a scout I’m thinking rapid progression but can it be sustained? And what about those other areas of concern? I might be advising my client to sit on their £10M until January.

Now I’m not a scout, just a footie fan like you but it’s what I think.

Reactions: Superguy
Sep 6, 2006
Not all highlights. But thinking about it you can add highlights to the number.

Anyway, IMHO many people get carried away with shot stopping keepers and think they’re the next big thing. Easy to get seduced by the spectacular. But early season I thought he was quite poor on crosses at times and showed some positional unawareness as well as lacking command of his area. The latter points are not surprising given his age, the former point is more problematic.

From my limited vantage point, I would say there has been improvement in all those areas. Far fewer errors now combined with excellent shot stopping and distribution. Crosses though I would still be concerned as a scout at the highest level. And confidence at a higher level? He seems a level headed chap, without being personal almost like the quiet one in school really. So could he boss around better, more experienced pros? Who knows?

So we have good progression but if I was a scout I’m thinking rapid progression but can it be sustained? And what about those other areas of concern? I might be advising my client to sit on their £10M until January.

Now I’m not a scout, just a footie fan like you but it’s what I think.
Don't remember him dropping crosses or being out if position. All keepers make mistakes at all levels. My God Pickford does. Only mistake I remember from Cooper was when he got caught in possession in his area v Pompey. Lucky to get away without a pen.

Jul 6, 2005
Getting back to the OP and what we might get for Cooper if he is sold, it is reported that Burnley have signed Scott Twine for an initial £5M, with £2M in add-ons (Burnley promoted?), plus a 20% sell-on clause.

The League 1 Player of the year and the League 1 Team of the Year Keeper, so completely different players obviously, but a useful indication of what we might get if he is sold now.

FWIW, as commodities in the market, I would value Twine slightly higher than Mike.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'm not sure I agree Dave only because goalies last a lot longer.

Saying that Twine's a beast of a striker, money well spent I'd say.

Reactions: Lancastergreen
Apr 1, 2009
Getting back to the OP and what we might get for Cooper if he is sold, it is reported that Burnley have signed Scott Twine for an initial £5M, with £2M in add-ons (Burnley promoted?), plus a 20% sell-on clause.

The League 1 Player of the year and the League 1 Team of the Year Keeper, so completely different players obviously, but a useful indication of what we might get if he is sold now.

FWIW, as commodities in the market, I would value Twine slightly higher than Mike.
How long was left on Twine's contract? Can't really use it as a comparable unless outstanding contract length was similar.