Michael Cooper "Going Nowhere" {Schuey 13/10/22} | Page 19 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Michael Cooper "Going Nowhere" {Schuey 13/10/22}

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
We shall see, I feel 3-4m is way too low.
Me too. For me Cooper is better than Bazuna who went for £12m rising to £15m. Although he’s younger but I’d think Cooper is worth at least 3/4’s of what Bazuna went for. He’ll play for England.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Me too. For me Cooper is better than Bazuna who went for £12m rising to £15m. Although he’s younger but I’d think Cooper is worth at least 3/4’s of what Bazuna went for. He’ll play for England.
City valued Bazunu at £5,200 per week. Argyle value Cooper at £1,900 per week. You're hoping for a hell of a lot of add-ons.

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
You can't compare footballer's salaries to other professions.
A typical professional may become qualified in their early twenties (although for medical doctors it'll be more like mid-twenties) and then as their experience and responsibilities grow their salary will increase over the following twenty to thirty years or more.
The peak of a footballer's career is mid to late twenties and by mid-thirties they'll be looking for a new career (albeit some continue in the same industry)!
So whilst most of us, when Michael Cooper's age, were just setting off on our career path and probably starting at the bottom and getting paid accordingly, Cooper's already way beyond that and his next move is pivotal in his career as well as financially.
Effectively the forty to fifty year career of a professional is condensed into fifteen for a footballer. They may then have a new career, of course, but they'll be starting from the bottom again.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
LC, you repeatedly are using current wages as a basis for a transfer fee when that isn’t how it works at all.

1) a transfer fee is simply the money that the selling club demand to release their player, and that the buying club are satisfied with paying to obtain an asset, 2) Cooper will absolutely want the best possible fee to go to Argyle, he’s not sitting there peed off that Argyle are demanding millions and he’s not on £10k+.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
LC, you repeatedly are using current wages as a basis for a transfer fee when that isn’t how it works at all.

1) a transfer fee is simply the money that the selling club demand to release their player, and that the buying club are satisfied with paying to obtain an asset, 2) Cooper will absolutely want the best possible fee to go to Argyle, he’s not sitting there peed off that Argyle are demanding millions and he’s not on £10k+.
In the past things were different when a club could demand a fee to release a player from his registration but that all changed with Bosman. Since that ruling transfer fees have become a compensation package for the loss of an asset but the only asset that the club have is their contract with the player. That's why fees now reduce as the length of the contract reduces and once it has run out then it is no longer an asset to the club whatsoever.

The value of the asset (the contract) is now the basis of the negotiations and the point where to start. There are other factors that can escalate the fee of course, the best for the selling club being that there is interest from more than one club. Potential is another factor to add to the fee but that tends to be addressed these days in add-ons that pay when that potential has been realised. In Cooper's case he has come through the academy so his development fees can also be factored into the deal.

Of course there are clubs out there who will pay the fee a selling club demands. Jack Grealish had a £100m release fee at Villa. I would hazard a guess that that was inserted into his deal to prevent him leaving Villa Park but when you have pockets as deep as City, they just paid the asking price. There aren't many teams out there though who will do that. Clubs who might be considering a move for Cooper are more likely to want the cheapest deal they can negotiate. Argyle can stand their ground but the clock on their asset is forever running down.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yeah but there are two years left on that contract, which is more relevant than what he’s being paid. He could be getting a tenner a week, but clubs still need to pay to release him from that contract. Everything you said above makes sense, I was disagreeing with the earlier post stating his wages have anything to do with his value.

What’s also relevant is that Argyle don’t need to sell, plus if there are several interested clubs that create a bidding war.

All the ingredients are there for a big fee, and I’ll be absolutely stunned if he goes this summer and it’s less than £5m. Next summer with one year left, obviously it would be much less.

Reactions: Penmaster

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
And have every other player also asking for more.
And if they're worth it then they'll get it.
Everyone is harping on that Cooper will play for England which at this stage is nonsense, bazuna is already an international player so obviously his stock is higher.
If Cooper goes for at least 10 million then great but I don't think he will sell for anywhere near that as an Argyle player, nor do I think he will play for England but they are my opinions whether they are accepted or not.
When he gets a call up to one of the England set ups and plays well against anything other than a minnow I will believe the England talk.
At the moment he is just a league one keeper, a number one, that's all.

Reactions: Superguy

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
You seemed to go from dismissing that he’ll play for England, to raising the bar in the next sentence that he’d have to play for England AND play well AND against a big country for you to be proved wrong :ROFLMAO:

Lancastergreen

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
You seemed to go from dismissing that he’ll play for England, to raising the bar in the next sentence that he’d have to play for England AND play well AND against a big country for you to be proved wrong :ROFLMAO:
No I didn't, let me make this easier.

Cooper is a league one keeper who in my opinion will never play for England.

Reactions: Superguy

Lancastergreen

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
What do you see as the reasons he wont make that level?
Like us all I'm no football coach so cannot qualify my opinion, but then no one can.
I just do not see him playing for England whether he's an Argyle player or a lower Premier league player, it's just my opinion.