Michael Cooper "Going Nowhere" {Schuey 13/10/22} | Page 21 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Michael Cooper "Going Nowhere" {Schuey 13/10/22}

Sep 2, 2008
Getting back to the OP and what we might get for Cooper if he is sold, it is reported that Burnley have signed Scott Twine for an initial £5M, with £2M in add-ons (Burnley promoted?), plus a 20% sell-on clause.

The League 1 Player of the year and the League 1 Team of the Year Keeper, so completely different players obviously, but a useful indication of what we might get if he is sold now.

FWIW, as commodities in the market, I would value Twine slightly higher than Mike.
...and yet Twine is valued only slightly higher :unsure:

Proven goalscorers are worth far, far more than goalkeepers. They have much, much more of an influence on the game as do all outfield players compared to goalkeepers.

I agree that what Twine went for is 'a useful indication' of what Cooper is worth but not in the way that you're thinking. I used to think that we would be lucky to get £1m for Cooper but after seeing what Twine has gone for, I now find myself reducing that to £750k.

Sep 6, 2006

Proven goalscorers are worth far, far more than goalkeepers. They have much, much more of an influence on the game as do all outfield players compared to goalkeepers.

I agree that what Twine went for is 'a useful indication' of what Cooper is worth but not in the way that you're thinking. I used to think that we would be lucky to get £1m for Cooper but after seeing what Twine has gone for, I now find myself reducing that to £750k.
Won't happen. That's loose change for Premier teams.

Reactions: Lancastergreen

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007

😂😂😂

Got anything you want to sell? I’d love to see your valuations in the real world. Might grab myself a bargain

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff

£750k for Cooper??! You avin a laugh. 😂😂

Multiply that figure by 5-10 times and it’s realistic .

Reactions: saxman
Sep 2, 2008
If you want to talk comparison’s then how about this more realistic one, a keeper against a keeper.

Jo Wollacott was in the league two team of last season. Now just signed a 3 year deal with Charlton and is going to the World Cup with Ghana where he has already gained 10 caps. If Cooper is worth £10m then what do all you fantasists think Wollacott is worth?

Surely Wollacott must be worth more? £15m? £20m?

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: Lancastergreen
Sep 2, 2008
3 years…wow, didn’t realise Wollacott was such a dinosaur.

Obviously the international caps mean nothing to you either or the fact that he is now a league one keeper for a bigger club

I’m not the one that’s looking silly.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Are there any decent Ghanaian keepers we might know of? He doesn’t appear to exactly have a lot of competition imo.

Aug 5, 2016
Wow, this site has produced some beauties over time, Osvaldo Lopes will be our saviour was the claim of one well informed poster, but the description of Michael Cooper as an average league One goalie, is without doubt the biggest pile of turd i've read on here ever.
Now i'm not one for going overboard and rainbow chasing, but if you watched anything of the last 18 months and think "he's average" i'd ask for a refund or demand a seat that faces the pitch.
Not only is he the best in the division (as voted for by his peers) at 23 and rapidly improving, with goalkeepers often described at peaking far later than outfield players he will have many many suitor far higher up the food chain than us. His distribution and comfort on the ball, will be a key element for many, let alone his fantastic ability and reactions. As for not commanding his box, every keeper in the land will occasionally get crosses wrong or not dominate the way they should, but i saw little evidence in a 50+ game season of him being weak in any department.
I hope he stays - i really do, but i cant see it, someone will take a chance even if we demanded £5 million.
I don’t think Cooper was voted the best by his peers, Bazunu won the PFA one I think.

Sep 6, 2006
If you want to talk comparison’s then how about this more realistic one, a keeper against a keeper.

Jo Wollacott was in the league two team of last season. Now just signed a 3 year deal with Charlton and is going to the World Cup with Ghana where he has already gained 10 caps. If Cooper is worth £10m then what do all you fantasists think Wollacott is worth?

Surely Wollacott must be worth more? £15m? £20m?
Comparing a keeper with very little League 1 experience but should be valued more!! Really makes a lot of sense doesn't it?

Sep 2, 2008
I don’t think Cooper was voted the best by his peers, Bazunu won the PFA one I think.
That doesn't matter though. The team that the stats show was the best in the league is the important one.

Fellow professionals voting having actually played with and against the players dont know what they're talking about.

Feb 15, 2005
It seems strange that a striker who scores 20 goals a season is worth vastly more than a keeper who might make over 100 saves a season and perhaps stop 30 good shots.

Reactions: saxman
Sep 2, 2008
Whats even stranger is that a keeper that conceded the fifth fewest goals in League One and returned the fourth best save success rate is valued by some on here at £10m or £5m.

Really makes me wonder what those people that think the keeper that conceded the least number of goals and returned the best save success is worth :rolleyes: