Makes me appreciate him even more... | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Makes me appreciate him even more...

Apr 20, 2011
Tetbury
This has to go down as one of the worst threads in PASOTI history.

Adams was superb for us: he built on Sheridan's team, delivered a play-off final, promotion and a 7th placed finish in League One. We had 2 great games against Liverpool and some brilliant football. Unfortunately it all went wrong last season. Mistakes weren't learned from, signings were poor, tactics were turgid, he didn't engage with the fanbase and we went down. He had to take some responsibility for that and he did, by losing his job. I was, and am still, a big Adams fan for what he achieved whilst with us. He showed loyalty by signing 2 long terms contracts and, by all accounts, worked every hour of the day to bring success to Home Park. Even when it became clear he head lost the dressing room I was unsure about his sacking and I hope, if he ever comes back, he will be warmly received. He certainly will be by me.

However, none of that changes the fact that we were relegated under his stewardship.

Ryan Lowe has all of the attributes to succeed at Argyle too. I was unsure at first but his charisma and his honesty is so refreshing. It shouldn't be used as a stick to beat Adams, but Lowe's post-match comments are, for me at least, much more interesting because I feel like he was watching the same game as me. He clearly wants to engage with the fans in a way that this club hasn't seen since Holloway. This will, and rightly is, getting him applauded off the pitch - even after a disappointing result. He could have run to the dressing room on Saturday but didn't and I like that a lot.

Lowe has said from the start how he wants to play and that it won't happen overnight - and it isn't. I've seen 3 games this season: Colchester, Salford and Oldham. You can see the difference in approach. I don't think that's an opinion; it's a fact. The final point is that this team isn't all of Lowe's choosing. For me he is getting more out of the likes of Wootton and Canavan than we saw last season. This will be crucial. Either they continue to step up or they'll ultimately be replaced. I'm happy either way!

With all of the improved infrastructure that is coming online, this feels like a great time to be an Argyle fan: supporter-chairman, ambitious manager, good football and a new start. Why people can't move on is totally beyond me...

C

Cult Of Personality

I have been enjoying the football trying to be played under lowe this season. I enjoy going to home park. Under Adams I never felt like I enjoyed the football on show.

He is over rated and not good enough for the English leagues

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
edmonds200":3eumxqk3 said:
Devongreenowl":3eumxqk3 said:
Me too. I bought my season ticket purely on the strength of the appeal of Ryan Lowe as a progressive, forward thinking manager. Anybody making judgement of him after just seven games, is behaving like an idiot. Every single person who booed at the final whistle on Saturday should on reflection by thoroughly ashamed of themselves. Booing is a last resort when a team has palbably stopped trying and is going through the motions. There were perhaps occasions last season when the team deserved to be booed. I wouldn’t boo this side even if we lost the next two away games and then failed to win the next home game. It’s not helpful and instead of making HP a fortress, will simply make players more nervous to try anything out of the ordinary. Hence players like Wootton, Canavan etc will find it even more difficult to play out from the back as required by the manager. Support your team guys. We have one of the best young managers in the division. It’s not called happy clapping, it’s called creating a positive environment for the players to flourish in.

So nobody can boo the messiah but it was OK to personally abuse the previous incumbent and boo the team relentlessly after we have lost the second game of the season at Carlisle?
I will leave it there but results speak for themselves and in league 2 DA is and was unparalleled in a results driven business.
You have all missed the point! I have said numerous times we should back this or any other manager and certainly not sack them so soon into a new contract that has been earned by results. On Saturday there was a lot of discontent around me about how we were playing which I could not believe. Another 10 games like this and the knives will be out because I know how this fan base behaves. SEB and Conor Hourihane came in for some wild abuse here which just proves my point. We need to be careful what we wish for as in any business it is very dangerous to keep changing the guard over such a short period.

DA earned a 5 year deal last summer because he was being headhunted and Mr Brent and Mr Hallett were 100% sure he was the man. Now Mr Hallett is 100% sure this guy is the right man so lets stick with him. That was my point not a personal crusade to resurrect DA!!!!

Okay Edmonds200 - straight question. Do YOU think it’s ok to boo the team and/or manager after four home games in which they are undefeated, at the end of a game they had enough chances to win comfortably. If Argyle had won 4-1 as they should have done, the stadium would have been bouncing at the end. That’s how fickle some of the fans are. SEVEN games into his tenure and there are idiots telling him he needs to change tactics. Unbelievable.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
I think we now need to stop giving the OP oxygen and let this thread die. He's obviously on a wind up.

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
Devongreenowl":3aw6ra3u said:
edmonds200":3aw6ra3u said:
Devongreenowl":3aw6ra3u said:
Me too. I bought my season ticket purely on the strength of the appeal of Ryan Lowe as a progressive, forward thinking manager. Anybody making judgement of him after just seven games, is behaving like an idiot. Every single person who booed at the final whistle on Saturday should on reflection by thoroughly ashamed of themselves. Booing is a last resort when a team has palbably stopped trying and is going through the motions. There were perhaps occasions last season when the team deserved to be booed. I wouldn’t boo this side even if we lost the next two away games and then failed to win the next home game. It’s not helpful and instead of making HP a fortress, will simply make players more nervous to try anything out of the ordinary. Hence players like Wootton, Canavan etc will find it even more difficult to play out from the back as required by the manager. Support your team guys. We have one of the best young managers in the division. It’s not called happy clapping, it’s called creating a positive environment for the players to flourish in.

So nobody can boo the messiah but it was OK to personally abuse the previous incumbent and boo the team relentlessly after we have lost the second game of the season at Carlisle?
I will leave it there but results speak for themselves and in league 2 DA is and was unparalleled in a results driven business.
You have all missed the point! I have said numerous times we should back this or any other manager and certainly not sack them so soon into a new contract that has been earned by results. On Saturday there was a lot of discontent around me about how we were playing which I could not believe. Another 10 games like this and the knives will be out because I know how this fan base behaves. SEB and Conor Hourihane came in for some wild abuse here which just proves my point. We need to be careful what we wish for as in any business it is very dangerous to keep changing the guard over such a short period.

DA earned a 5 year deal last summer because he was being headhunted and Mr Brent and Mr Hallett were 100% sure he was the man. Now Mr Hallett is 100% sure this guy is the right man so lets stick with him. That was my point not a personal crusade to resurrect DA!!!!

Okay Edmonds200 - straight question. Do YOU think it’s ok to boo the team and/or manager after four home games in which they are undefeated, at the end of a game they had enough chances to win comfortably. If Argyle had won 4-1 as they should have done, the stadium would have been bouncing at the end. That’s how fickle some of the fans are. SEVEN games into his tenure and there are idiots telling him he needs to change tactics. Unbelievable.

No I dont agree at all - A manager should be supported as well as his team - which is why I was stunned on saturday and which is why I was stunned last October when DA was 4 months into a 5 year deal

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Well at least we agree on something.
Why not give the DA fan club thing a rest now as he’s been gone nearly 5 months? Then perhaps review Ryan Lowe’s performance after a season when he has been able to create his own team. If we are lucky, he may get us promoted with one more window, if not he will need to complete his rebuild next summer.

Her is giving the likes of Wootton, Canavan, Sawyer and Riley their chance. If they don’t or can’t take it, they will be moved on. Defensively, we look weak at the moment.

D

Darren Stoneman

What I appreciate is not having to watch dire boring football with overrated players , the football under Adams was awful set up to lose 1-0 at best, look at the failures not the one success, that is why he is still out of work, he is the best manager outside of the premier! Um your having a laugh

Lowe has bought a passion we have not seen for years and long may it continue

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
In Derek Adams first three seasons with Argyle no-one could argue with his achievements. A promotion and a play-off and near play-off was testament to his high win percentage only exceeded by Paul Sturrock in his first spell. Whilst there was some adverse comment on his style - a general rigid application of 4-2-3-1 the results generally outweighed the performances and most supporters were content if not enthralled. Ironically, when we departed to a 4-3-3 with Carey- Taylor and Lameires as the front three we actually played, for a period, some of the best football seen at Home Park in recent times but with Taylor's injury it was back to the rigidity of the same tried and tested system.

The change was when he became Head of Football and was offered an unparalleled 5-year contract. Of the field Adams was the driver of the improvement of facilities and was omnipresent at all levels of the Club. Whether it became too much for one man who knows but a start of the season without a win until the 12th game ( a second consecutive poor start to the season) would have seen most managers depart if they did not have the protection of a long term contract behind them. The end of the season was even worse - a failure to gain a win in his last 8 games after a mid-season improvement which saw the club climb to what appeared to be safety was key. Those eight games were the worst capitulation of a team I have ever witnessed at Home Park as we hurtled towards an inevitable relegation. In the two games where we did gain a point we were 2-0 up in both.

Funnily enough I wondered if his decision to have the temporary changing rooms at the Devonport End exposed him to the level of disenchantment and abuse that shook him to his soul. In previous seasons he was immune from such confrontations as his disappeared down the tunnel - but now he faced some open hostility. He was a principled man and I am sure it hurt him and may have significantly contributed to his continued divergence with supporters and an almost total disappearance of contact and a bunker mentality that failed to endear.

Ultimately, the surrender at Accrington and refusal to acknowledge supporters who had travelled in such numbers in the hope of a performance to secure the club's safety was too much - even for the Board who had previously backed him through difficult times. They unanimously voted to relieve him of his duties and very few supporters at the time, some with a heavy heart like me, would have disagreed with that decision.

Derek Adams played a very important part in the club's revival both on and off the field. He worked tirelessly for all things Argyle and was generous in his spirit and support at all levels of the club and with supporters. Ultimately, it is a result driven business and having escaped a dismissal in his first eleven games of last season his last eight games were the reason why he is no longer at the club. No manager could survive such a capitulation.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Hopefully we can all agree that getting out of League 2 is a hard thing to do, and not the formality some claimed it to be.

That’s a defence of Derek Adams, Ryan Lowe and any manager working in this league without vast money to simply outspend the rest.

Sep 19, 2015
Funny how the same people calling for Adams to be given time last season have automatically written off the new regime after 7 bloody games! You couldn't make it up :funny: :doh:

Feb 4, 2011
cornwall
I think the article by Graham Clarke is the most constructive and probebly the most accuate summing up of DAs time at the club :nworthy: :nworthy: :nworthy:

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
Darren Stoneman":1jhfuj0n said:
What I appreciate is not having to watch dire boring football with overrated players , the football under Adams was awful set up to lose 1-0 at best, look at the failures not the one success, that is why he is still out of work, he is the best manager outside of the premier! Um your having a laugh

Lowe has bought a passion we have not seen for years and long may it continue

Were you not at the play of semi final games?