Makes me appreciate him even more... | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Makes me appreciate him even more...

Mar 14, 2009
Graham Clark":3192xbb4 said:
In Derek Adams first three seasons with Argyle no-one could argue with his achievements. A promotion and a play-off and near play-off was testament to his high win percentage only exceeded by Paul Sturrock in his first spell. Whilst there was some adverse comment on his style - a general rigid application of 4-2-3-1 the results generally outweighed the performances and most supporters were content if not enthralled. Ironically, when we departed to a 4-3-3 with Carey- Taylor and Lameires as the front three we actually played, for a period, some of the best football seen at Home Park in recent times but with Taylor's injury it was back to the rigidity of the same tried and tested system.

The change was when he became Head of Football and was offered an unparalleled 5-year contract. Of the field Adams was the driver of the improvement of facilities and was omnipresent at all levels of the Club. Whether it became too much for one man who knows but a start of the season without a win until the 12th game ( a second consecutive poor start to the season) would have seen most managers depart if they did not have the protection of a long term contract behind them. The end of the season was even worse - a failure to gain a win in his last 8 games after a mid-season improvement which saw the club climb to what appeared to be safety was key. Those eight games were the worst capitulation of a team I have ever witnessed at Home Park as we hurtled towards an inevitable relegation. In the two games where we did gain a point we were 2-0 up in both.

Funnily enough I wondered if his decision to have the temporary changing rooms at the Devonport End exposed him to the level of disenchantment and abuse that shook him to his soul. In previous seasons he was immune from such confrontations as his disappeared down the tunnel - but now he faced some open hostility. He was a principled man and I am sure it hurt him and may have significantly contributed to his continued divergence with supporters and an almost total disappearance of contact and a bunker mentality that failed to endear.

Ultimately, the surrender at Accrington and refusal to acknowledge supporters who had travelled in such numbers in the hope of a performance to secure the club's safety was too much - even for the Board who had previously backed him through difficult times. They unanimously voted to relieve him of his duties and very few supporters at the time, some with a heavy heart like me, would have disagreed with that decision.

Derek Adams played a very important part in the club's revival both on and off the field. He worked tirelessly for all things Argyle and was generous in his spirit and support at all levels of the club and with supporters. Ultimately, it is a result driven business and having escaped a dismissal in his first eleven games of last season his last eight games were the reason why he is no longer at the club. No manager could survive such a capitulation.

Sorry but l got to disagree with that opening line.

That promotion was one of the strangest promotions as a fan l’ve experienced. You go back to the games we won. Games like Accrington Stanley. They destroyed us at HP. Played us off the park. Yet we came away with a win. There were too many of these experiences that season which is why the promotion was flat compared to others. Remember the Tuesday night games at HP. Leyton Orient, who were in free fall, coming down to destroy us. They were being beaten week in, week out. The signs were there about how we couldn’t cope with pace. I remember that night thinking Macey had three or four players around him and yet he just ran through us. We just stood off players. Never tried to tackle. These tactics were seen the next two seasons in league one.

Anyhow, l wasn’t convinced. You kinda of have a gut feeling about a manager after two seasons. I was in the minority even after we finished 7th in Adams 3rd season. What made me realise is that it was the beginning of the end for him was the Charlton away game which was a dent to any playoff aspirations we had that season. If you go back to the synopsis the things l mentioned in that game were the same things that ended up getting us relegated the following season. The reason lm saying this is because this myth about the third season. It was a decent season in terms of where we finished. Yet the bad habits we did as a team that season weren’t rectified and caused what we witnessed in Adams fourth season.

He said some very strange things. His after match thoughts about games that we could see we got outplayed. Yet he kept trying to convince the fans we had been the better team. I remember him saying how he doesn’t like 3 at the back systems. Only for him to be using them when we had poor results. If you don’t believe in them, then your not really convinced of the system your trying to play. He once tried to say the kit wasn’t right under the floodlights and we couldn’t pick out teammates. It obviously wasn’t watching Saturday 3pm games then because we had the same issue in daylight.

I know we finished 7th the season before but the warning signs were in place. The terrible start to the 3rd season. When Bradley wasn’t playing the defence failing to pieces. The way he kept using Lameiras as the scapegoat when things didn’t work out. In and out of the side. Only to repeated the following season. The heavy reliance on Carey. What happened last season was his very high standards dropped and so did Argyles results.

If you look back the writing was on the wall. That third season we were one of the lowest goal scoring teams away from home. He still played with forwards isolated from the rest of the team the following season. Being 7th masked the issues we had. Yes we went on a great run but down to individual performances. As a team unit we just didn’t function that good. Nobody, thought we had an issue at the back with a lack of pace. Or that we sat too deep, too often in games. Yet all these small things from seasons before that Adams didn’t fix finally caught up with us.

It’s just my opinion. For me, it was painful watching Argyle try to scrape 2-1 wins by holding out on regular basis in league 2. I thought well maybe we would evolve. However, we tried to do the same tactics against better teams and with better players in league one we got punished. You can’t just surrender the ball like we did. That’s why l admire what we trying to do now because if we got the ball opposing teams can’t score. Ok, it’s not going great at present. Yet l look at other teams who got relegated. Scunthorpe, Walsall and Bradford. All have 3 decent managers who proved themselves at this level. None of them have any more points doing than us currently. So it shows how difficult it is to change things quickly with a new manager at the helm.

Basically, what lm saying is it’s the fact nobody did challenge him or argue about certain aspects of his coaching or tactics in those first three years. Who knows if everyone didn’t keep sweeping issues under the carpet then it might not of lead to such an embarrassing season last year. Maybe if people within his coaching staff did argue with him or at least challenge him he might of done something about the issues we had. Instead we played the same way. Used the same tactics. Did the same things eg pre season and this resulted in the same mistakes still happening in his fourth season as Argyle manager.

May 1, 2011
edmonds200":37k2f5so said:
Devongreenowl":37k2f5so said:
edmonds200":37k2f5so said:
Devongreenowl":37k2f5so said:
Me too. I bought my season ticket purely on the strength of the appeal of Ryan Lowe as a progressive, forward thinking manager. Anybody making judgement of him after just seven games, is behaving like an idiot. Every single person who booed at the final whistle on Saturday should on reflection by thoroughly ashamed of themselves. Booing is a last resort when a team has palbably stopped trying and is going through the motions. There were perhaps occasions last season when the team deserved to be booed. I wouldn’t boo this side even if we lost the next two away games and then failed to win the next home game. It’s not helpful and instead of making HP a fortress, will simply make players more nervous to try anything out of the ordinary. Hence players like Wootton, Canavan etc will find it even more difficult to play out from the back as required by the manager. Support your team guys. We have one of the best young managers in the division. It’s not called happy clapping, it’s called creating a positive environment for the players to flourish in.

So nobody can boo the messiah but it was OK to personally abuse the previous incumbent and boo the team relentlessly after we have lost the second game of the season at Carlisle?
I will leave it there but results speak for themselves and in league 2 DA is and was unparalleled in a results driven business.
You have all missed the point! I have said numerous times we should back this or any other manager and certainly not sack them so soon into a new contract that has been earned by results. On Saturday there was a lot of discontent around me about how we were playing which I could not believe. Another 10 games like this and the knives will be out because I know how this fan base behaves. SEB and Conor Hourihane came in for some wild abuse here which just proves my point. We need to be careful what we wish for as in any business it is very dangerous to keep changing the guard over such a short period.

DA earned a 5 year deal last summer because he was being headhunted and Mr Brent and Mr Hallett were 100% sure he was the man. Now Mr Hallett is 100% sure this guy is the right man so lets stick with him. That was my point not a personal crusade to resurrect DA!!!!

Okay Edmonds200 - straight question. Do YOU think it’s ok to boo the team and/or manager after four home games in which they are undefeated, at the end of a game they had enough chances to win comfortably. If Argyle had won 4-1 as they should have done, the stadium would have been bouncing at the end. That’s how fickle some of the fans are. SEVEN games into his tenure and there are idiots telling him he needs to change tactics. Unbelievable.

No I dont agree at all - A manager should be supported as well as his team - which is why I was stunned on saturday and which is why I was stunned last October when DA was 4 months into a 5 year deal

Who exactly was heading hunting Adams? He's hardly seen as hot property now is he?

By last October if you understood football you could see exactly what was happening in the field. We were already deep in a relegation battle.

D

Darren Stoneman

edmonds200":22u71cn3 said:
Darren Stoneman":22u71cn3 said:
What I appreciate is not having to watch dire boring football with overrated players , the football under Adams was awful set up to lose 1-0 at best, look at the failures not the one success, that is why he is still out of work, he is the best manager outside of the premier! Um your having a laugh

Lowe has bought a passion we have not seen for years and long may it continue

Were you not at the play of semi final games?
Yes and the capitulation at Wembley a success no, a distinct failure

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Looking back at the quality of the squad (hindsight is great) the players of 2015/2016 really should have got promoted, automatic or by beating Wimbledon.

McCormick, Mellor, Nelson, Hartley, Sawyer, McHugh, Boateng, Carey, Jervis, Reid, Tanner, Thelkeld, Wylde, Matt, Purrington and Brunt.

Mar 14, 2009
PL2 3DQ":12itbyzg said:
Looking back at the quality of the squad (hindsight is great) the players of 2015/2016 really should have got promoted, automatic or by beating Wimbledon.

McCormick, Mellor, Nelson, Hartley, Sawyer, McHugh, Boateng, Carey, Jervis, Reid, Tanner, Thelkeld, Wylde, Matt, Purrington and Brunt.

See the strong CB pairing that Sheridan left Adams with. Nelson was quick. Good in the air. Hartley decent in the air. Strong, physical presence. Adams left Lowe with Canavan and Wootton. Neither have pace or great in the air. Neither have a great physical presence.

I actually think Mellor would be a decent Wing back in Lowes system too as he had a good final ball. The issue was always his defending.

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
Metal_Green_Mickey":2e13iezv said:
PL2 3DQ":2e13iezv said:

See the strong CB pairing that Sheridan left Adams with. Nelson was quick. Good in the air. Hartley decent in the air. Strong, physical presence. Adams left Lowe with Canavan and Wootton. Neither have pace or great in the air. Neither have a great physical presence.

I actually think Mellor would be a decent Wing back in Lowes system too as he had a good final ball. The issue was always his defending.
The board would not sanction the signings of new contracts of Bradley or pay the loan fee for Vyner. DA had his hands tied

Apr 5, 2008
That Charlton match was so disappointing,we really threw away our chance of the playoffs after getting in such a good position.Now year and a bit after the Charlton match they are 2nd in the championship and we are in League two,who would have thought that when we played them that match :mad:

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
edmonds200":25v1h8tb said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":25v1h8tb said:
PL2 3DQ":25v1h8tb said:

The board would not sanction the signings of new contracts of Bradley or pay the loan fee for Vyner. DA had his hands tied

DA didn't win promotion with Sheridans team he won it with his own - Miller, Bulvitis, Bradley, Sawyer were his back 4 which was weaker and aggregately on less money than the previous back 4!! Great managers can win with lesser players

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Edmunds, can we please move on now?

Derek is no longer here. We now have a new manager for us all to get behind.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
monkeywrench":3j6h3nru said:
Edmunds, can we please move on now?

Derek is no longer here. We now have a new manager for us all to get behind.

Totally agree,whether you liked him or not Derek left us in the same division that he joined us in and has now gone.We all now need to fully support Ryan Lowe and his team

Jan 18, 2009
Bittaford
Darren Stoneman":3rihamn3 said:
edmonds200":3rihamn3 said:
Darren Stoneman":3rihamn3 said:
What I appreciate is not having to watch dire boring football with overrated players , the football under Adams was awful set up to lose 1-0 at best, look at the failures not the one success, that is why he is still out of work, he is the best manager outside of the premier! Um your having a laugh

Lowe has bought a passion we have not seen for years and long may it continue

Were you not at the play of semi final games?
Yes and the capitulation at Wembley a success no, a distinct failure

Id be delighted to get to wembley after witnessing the last 2 league games!!!

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
If Adams was still in charge at HP with 3.5 years to go on his contract, then I wouldn't be there, my ST money wouldn't be in Argo's account and I'm sure that hundreds/thousands would be missing off the gate every home game.

Sorry, it is a results business and an entertainment business, last season we had poor results and poor entertainment. :sad:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
edmonds200":2k3d90w6 said:

Totally untrue, you made that bit up.

Mar 23, 2008
IJN":mbduhkcs said:
edmonds200":mbduhkcs said:

Totally untrue, you made that bit up.
Indeed, more a case of a man in total control of his budget and decided Bradley wasn't worth the uplift in wages and instead 'invested' his budget in Canavan, Wootton and Grant to replace him.

Adams is long gone, this thread is frankly odd. Wish him well for the future and excited to see what Lowe can achieve with similar support and time afforded to Adams.